KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

What Did You Do To Your Duke 390 Today?

828K views 2K replies 320 participants last post by  Duke125R 
#1 ·
Share what you did today with the Duke 390 / RC 390 community!

Example: Just received my new sprockets and DID chain from the postman, going to put in some wrench time today!

Example: Gave her a nice bath today and a fresh coat of wax. :D

Example: Took the 390 in to service... Hopefully, my bill won't crater my pocket.

Anything goes....

#7 ·
as a tidy tail is not compatible with the 2015 duke here in Canada I decided to do it myself. took a zip disc and chopped of that silly tail, installed some led bolt lights for illuminating the plate.
Neat idea with the registration plate position.

#11 ·
Picked up "the Duke" from her first service, valve check included. All values within spec. No adj needed.

Total cost was $275.

I bought it from a great family owned and run shop. They give me a discount on everything I buy there now. Including service. ?

#13 ·
Drained the coolant, flushed with the 50/50 white vinegar/demineralised water mix, flushed it again with a 100% demin. water re-filled using Penrite Coolant with a dose of Joe Gibbs Driven CSP.

Took all day 'coz I was dodging rain showers but it's nice to know whats in there now.

#18 ·
lightweight battery

Today I'll install a Shorai LFX09A2 battery on the Duke. It's an equivalent amp hour rating, but less than half the size and will make a bit more room under the seat. Also it will not self-discharge like all lead-acid batteries do. I put an even smaller one in our MuZ Skorpion (660 Yamaha single powered), left it sitting with no charger for six months, and it fired up on the button no problem. I've got them in every bike we have except the Harley. Well, there's a Ballistic four cell in our '56 Velo...all that would fit in the fake case. It's kick start, so no problem. I'll need to run the lights this July in Oregon.

But the real reason I got it was the weight savings...almost six pounds (2.66 kg to be exact) from under the seat. That's nearly 2% of the bike's dry weight!

I did the same thing to my Buell XB12, with about the same % weight change, and the difference in handling was noticeable. Like the opposite of putting a big, heavy Givi box on the back...

#21 ·
Zippy, I put one of these in my V50 Cafe and saved over ten pounds compared to the previous lead-acid battery. Good stuff!

#23 ·
Got my CC levers today. Installed with no shims. Just the tiniest play, way less than stock. Here are some crappy in the garage rainy day pics of them.

Attachments

#27 ·
Shorai update

The original battery strap is way too long to hold that tiny battery in place. Right now I've added a bunch of padding, but I've bought a shorter strap on fleabay, item # 290926200549 if anyone else needs one. Otherwise, it's all good. Bike starts and runs just like before.

#34 ·
I don't have a lot of experience with bikes, and am always wondering how far I should go to "protect it". I was always under the impression that if they really want your bike they will just lift it and put in in a pick-up bed, no? This type of lock would then be do deter joyriders? They still need to be able to start the bike no? Thus having some knowledge?

Also asked my insurance company : "should I be worried if it gets stollen?" They told me : "that's what insurance is for " :)

Curious to hear from experienced riders...

#31 ·
Repeat out loud 100 times "I am not worthy, I am not worthy" :D

Reactions: mejetski2000
#36 ·
I agree 100% with Weeksy's somewhat cynical but practical view. The best thing is decent insurance. The next best thing is to secure the bike to an immovable object with a decent cable/chain and a lock. The downside is that it's a nuisance to carry around.

Personally I think disk locks of any type will stop an opportunist joy rider at best. A couple of big guys can carry a disk-locked bike away. One guy can do it if he simply shoves a skateboard under the locked wheel.