Best Front Fender Extender? - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By John in PA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-26-2016, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Best Front Fender Extender?

I'd like to add an extender to the front fender to protect the radiator. I see Twisted Throttle shows the Pyramid Fenda Extenda for the 125 and 200 Duke. Anyone know if it's applicable to the 390? I don't see one listed specifically for the 390

John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-26-2016, 10:14 AM

Garage
That will work. I put one on mine, as I have other bikes. I got mine on ebay.

My garage makes me happy.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Honda CT70
Honda Grom
KTM 390 Duke
post #3 of 10 Old 05-26-2016, 03:13 PM

Location: Murrysville, PA, USA. A pleasant, wooded suburb of Pittsburgh.
John, Can you send me the link to the Pyramid Fenda Extenda for Duke 125/200? I checked Twisted's site a couple of times and cannot find the small Dukes listed. They have 2 listings for the Duke 690. This looks like a simple, easy way to extend the fender/protect the radiator. I would be tempted to just build one with carbon fiber, but having one pre-made would save time and effort.

Cheers, Will

"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else."
--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II cafe racer
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000

post #4 of 10 Old 05-26-2016, 04:21 PM

Garage
There is indeed a need to protect the radiator , at first I was reluctant to fit a radiator grill as it might reduce the bike's cooling capacities which are in stock configuration not the best to start with . With a SPAL fan and EVANS waterless coolant I went for the grill . Much better looking than a fender extension IMHO
post #5 of 10 Old 05-26-2016, 04:59 PM

Garage
https://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum...tml#post217786

Post #891 , page 90.

My garage makes me happy.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Honda CT70
Honda Grom
KTM 390 Duke
post #6 of 10 Old 05-26-2016, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Fenda Extenda Fender Extender For Pyramid Plastics For KTM 125 Duke '12-'14 & 200 Duke '12-'14 | TwistedThrottle.com

Here's the link for the KTM 125/200 Duke Fenda Extenda from Pyramid Plastics. I ordered one. I'll report fitment success after I get it.

John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA
post #7 of 10 Old 05-27-2016, 10:35 AM

Location: Murrysville, PA, USA. A pleasant, wooded suburb of Pittsburgh.
Thanks, John.

Cheers, Will

"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else."
--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II cafe racer
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000
post #8 of 10 Old 05-27-2016, 11:24 AM

https://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum/appearance-modifications/25497-best-front-fender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimapa View Post
There is indeed a need to protect the radiator , at first I was reluctant to fit a radiator grill as it might reduce the bike's cooling capacities which are in stock configuration not the best to start with . With a SPAL fan and EVANS waterless coolant I went for the grill . Much better looking than a fender extension IMHO
Am totally in agreement with Trimapa on this one- U can extend the front fender if U want to, (make it yourself and bolt it on)- but the stock front fender is already good. But it will not protect the rad from anything that is flung at ya by a car tire in front of you. A rad protector is the way to go!
post #9 of 10 Old 06-04-2016, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in PA View Post
Fenda Extenda Fender Extender For Pyramid Plastics For KTM 125 Duke '12-'14 & 200 Duke '12-'14 | TwistedThrottle.com

Here's the link for the KTM 125/200 Duke Fenda Extenda from Pyramid Plastics. I ordered one. I'll report fitment success after I get it.
Haven't installed it yet, but test fit it today. Looks to be perfect. Pics after install.

John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA
post #10 of 10 Old 06-22-2016, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Ok. Installed the front fender extension. Worked out perfectly. Here are some details.

Needed:
Electric drill with 3mm bit (3/32" works, too)
Tube of GOOP brand adhesive. (Don't use silicone sealer. Use GOOP. It'll glue a piece of plastic to a sheet of glass, yet remains flexible. Handles temperatures well, too.)
Denatured alcohol.
2 C-clamps with about 3" throat.
Scraps of cardboard to protect finish
Dremel tool with small grindstone

First remove front fender. 6 bolts, wiggle it out. Easy peasy.

Degrease/clean the inside of the rear of the fender with denatured alcohol. Test fit; remove any flash at seams if necessary.

Notice the mold even includes a couple dimples to clear the two small raised areas inside the OEM fender

Apply GOOP and remove protective film from self-stick tapes

Carefully put the two parts together, double checking alignment. The curve of the two pieces may not match perfectly, so press them together well to close any gap at the inside joint. Drill pilot holes for the 4 stainless screws one at a time, installing EACH screw FIRST before you drill the next hole, and do the *center holes first*. Then add a nice bead of GOOP at the inside joint. Moisten finger well with saliva or water and smooth the bead. Don't worry about a little excess glue on parts. After it's dry, it can be trimmed and/or peeled off, leaving no residue.

Now carefully apply a couple C-clamps to really squeeze the parts together. Use pieces of cardboard on the outside to protect finish from marring. (An extra pair of hands helps with this step!!)

Allow adhesive to cure for 24 hours or so. Then remove clamps. Notice screws protrude inside and are quite sharp. I used a Dremel tool to remove most of the tip, leaving a couple mm protruding for security.

Reinstall fender with 6 original bolts. Job done!!

Diploman likes this.

John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page