Did anyone ever figure out what resistors are needed for LED turn indicators? - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 11-07-2019, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Did anyone ever figure out what resistors are needed for LED turn indicators?

I have some LEDs on the way, and am not sure what ohm resistors I should put inline. I see a lot of people talking about it, but no one actually stating what ohm resistors they finally got to work.

Suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rapid Bike EVO | Antigravity Li battery | Coober Airbox Lid | KTM Powerparts Ergo Seat | KTM Powerparts Crash Bars | KTM Powerparts Fender Kit | Vagabond Motorsports fender eliminator | Rhinomoto mirror mounts | CRG Hindsight EXO bar end mirrors | KTM Powerparts Bar Ends |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 11-07-2019, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
or would it be easier to just get a new relay? If so, what relay are you guys using?
B7ACKTHORN likes this.

Rapid Bike EVO | Antigravity Li battery | Coober Airbox Lid | KTM Powerparts Ergo Seat | KTM Powerparts Crash Bars | KTM Powerparts Fender Kit | Vagabond Motorsports fender eliminator | Rhinomoto mirror mounts | CRG Hindsight EXO bar end mirrors | KTM Powerparts Bar Ends |
|
post #3 of 26 Old 11-07-2019, 08:18 PM
Ede

Garage
Here is one of the many available answers form this forum:
https://www.ktmduke390forum.com/foru...tml#post399581

post #4 of 26 Old 11-08-2019, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I guess here is my question:

if my OEM bulbs are 12v 10W, and I add an LED that has a power consumption of 3W, will a 21.5 Ohm resistor work? These are the resistors I am looking at:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...gnal-resistors

it states that "the 21.5 Ohm resistors when going from 10 watt incandescent turn signals to LED turn signals" and while I am an Engineer, I am not an electrical engineer.

|
post #5 of 26 Old 11-08-2019, 04:49 PM

Check out this thread on just changing the bulbs to LED, worked fine on my Duke ( cheap too...) https://www.ktmduke390forum.com/foru...als-bulbs.html

On my Husky 401 Svarp. I when with Rizoma Leggera front turn signals and some other Rizonma on the back. They come with resistors you buy separate.

post #6 of 26 Old 11-08-2019, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by changohot View Post
Check out this thread on just changing the bulbs to LED, worked fine on my Duke ( cheap too...) https://www.ktmduke390forum.com/foru...als-bulbs.html

On my Husky 401 Svarp. I when with Rizoma Leggera front turn signals and some other Rizonma on the back. They come with resistors you buy separate.
my goal here is to get rid of the massive and ugly turn signals. i would go with incandescents if that were an option on the signals I am replacing with, but its not.
KTMasean and changohot like this.

|
post #7 of 26 Old 11-08-2019, 07:21 PM
Ede

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by damonhimself View Post
I guess here is my question:

if my OEM bulbs are 12v 10W, and I add an LED that has a power consumption of 3W, will a 21.5 Ohm resistor work? These are the resistors I am looking at:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...gnal-resistors

it states that "the 21.5 Ohm resistors when going from 10 watt incandescent turn signals to LED turn signals" and while I am an Engineer, I am not an electrical engineer.
It will work.
duke200 likes this.
post #8 of 26 Old 11-13-2019, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Motogadget m-Blaze Pins ordred, and R&G resistors. Will report back if this works (unlike most of the other people who have tried to get LEDs to work and just abandon the thread after).
Mirius likes this.

|
post #9 of 26 Old 11-13-2019, 06:52 PM

Sorry I don't have the answer to what value works, but here's the theory...

You have 2x10W at present. Changing to 2x3W means you reduced the power consumption by 14W.
To consume 14W using a single resistor you would calculate V squared / W = R, (12x12) / 14 = 144/14 = 10.2 Ohms.
Note that the resistor needs to go in parallel, not series.

That said, the lower the resistor value the more power it is consuming, and it basically turns that power into heat - and in this case a lot of heat!
The 21.5 ohm resistor will only consume half the power and might slow the flash rate enough.

Let us know what happens.
Ede likes this.
post #10 of 26 Old 11-13-2019, 08:24 PM
Ede

Garage
For additional info: The resistors from the original LED indicators in the rear are in the cables to the indicators and these cables runs through that ugly long metal extension. I guess part of the reason for that is because they get warm so they are mounted in an outside part for better heat exchange.
And no, I never measured them and I didn't see the actual resistors. I only noticed the "bumps" in the cables.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page