Piggy back ecu to smooth out low rpm performance - Page 2 - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 48 Old 09-04-2019, 05:49 PM

OK
I fitted a Rapid Bike Easy which solved the low speed running issues in my Duke 390.

The unit works by telling the ECU that the mixture is too lean, so it runs slightly richer.

Fuel economy is barely affected, according to the screen maybe 3 or 4 mpg less, if that.

The unit does not improve the performance.

But the bike is so much smoother, no lurching and kangarooing when in slow moving traffic.
Mad_Mardigen likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 48 Old 09-04-2019, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all the replies :-)
post #13 of 48 Old 09-05-2019, 01:36 AM

Garage
I think most piggybacks do roughly the same.
If I understood correctly the RBE (lightning) also comes with a self-learning option that some claim will again be countered by the OEM ECO over time.
As for the PowerTRONIC units, see the power chart below, a marginal increase in power over the full range and yes, it smoothenes out the (too) low rev issues some encounter as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KTM-Duke-390-Stock-vs-PT-Crank-Corrected-2.png
Views:	69
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	49395  

As long as you are happy with what you ride.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 48 Old 09-05-2019, 03:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by free range veal View Post
The service guy at my dealer told me to shift when I asked power commanders. He said he has seen nothing but headaches from them. Downshift to boost the revs out of the hesitation zone and you'll be fine.

This is perhaps the most on point advice. Itís a small single. They donít like running at low revs (and neither do larger singles either). Sure you pay your way into making it run smoother but lugging it doesnít do the engine any favours. Best solution is just to learn how to ride a single and keep the revs up. Cheapest solution too.
post #15 of 48 Old 09-05-2019, 04:54 AM

Well, all l can say is that since fitting the RBE my Duke 390 is much smoother at low RPM.

The module is a simple one with only one connection (exhaust lambda probe)
So l doubt that it has a learning facility.
Wakeboarder likes this.
post #16 of 48 Old 09-05-2019, 09:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
Well, all l can say is that since fitting the RBE my Duke 390 is much smoother at low RPM.

The module is a simple one with only one connection (exhaust lambda probe)
So l doubt that it has a learning facility.
Yup, its the Rapid Bike Evo that has the auto-adaptive feature. The Exclusive version seems to be priced quite decently and you can add options like quikshifter!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 48 Old 09-05-2019, 09:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
This is perhaps the most on point advice. Itís a small single. They donít like running at low revs (and neither do larger singles either). Sure you pay your way into making it run smoother but lugging it doesnít do the engine any favours. Best solution is just to learn how to ride a single and keep the revs up. Cheapest solution too.
True! After riding about 1000 miles, I must have learnt to ride it properly because I don't feel the jerkiness any more.

But I can understand peoples frustration when riding in really slow traffic, because 1st gear isn't great for that, and 2nd gear can be lumpy at 15-20mph...
KTMasean, Mirius and Ede like this.

post #18 of 48 Old 09-05-2019, 10:51 AM

If your sole intention is to make the bike smoother and easier to ride at low RPM in low gears, then the RBE does just that.

I think there’s another brand that also works the same.
post #19 of 48 Old 09-05-2019, 10:51 AM

The long and the short of it is that people have different budgets / opinions .....

i agree that on a Gen 2 bike, the piggy back boxes do little more into tricking the ecu that it's cold and to bung a bit more fuel in ( bit like pulling the choke on in the old days).....God knows how they justify the price - but thats another story...

Saying that a single cyl is lumpy is a wide reaching comment - as well as my Gen 2 390, i also have a CB300R and its as smooth as silk - in town or out.. slow speeds or fast speeds....

On my Gen 1 390 i did the full monty trying to get rid of the jerkyness - and without a doubt - the best thing i did, by a country mile - was to change the rear sprocket to a smaller one.....

So when i got the Gen 2 390, whilst it was nowhere near as jerky as the Gen 1 - Something had to be done.......i changed the 44T standard sprocked for a 41T one - Viola - Job done - jerkyness gone.....for not a lot of money ..... but if you want to spend $500 on a piggy back and $500 for a can - fill your boots - it's your money !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 (3) - Copy.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	479.9 KB
ID:	49401  
KTMasean and Wakeboarder like this.

Last edited by properperson; 09-05-2019 at 10:56 AM.
post #20 of 48 Old 09-05-2019, 05:11 PM

Garage
Only the most basic of piggyback work by fooling the ECU that itís cold. Thatís why they are cheaper. The more £500 piggyback are much more sophisticated and you get what you pay for.

Everything is a generalisation at some point. Yes you can balance out a single so itís smooth. Few manufacturers choose to do that because there is a price to pay. Extra mass has to be accelerated and braked. Itís why race cars are undriveable on the road and itís why KTM donít choose to do that on their bikes. It says says Ready to Race on the TFT on start up for a reason.
Ede likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page