KTM Duke 390 Forum

KTM Duke 390 Forum (https://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum/)
-   Engine and Technical Discussion (https://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/)
-   -   Piggy back ecu to smooth out low rpm performance (https://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/45145-piggy-back-ecu-smooth-out-low-rpm-performance.html)

Mad_Mardigen 09-03-2019 10:41 PM

Piggy back ecu to smooth out low rpm performance
 
I'm looking for recommendations on the best plug and play piggy back ECU for a 2018 to make the bike smooth at low rpm


A full exhaust system including decat is in the cards.
I don't want to mess with custom maps just looking for smooth low end performance.


Thanks in advance.

KTMasean 09-03-2019 11:36 PM

My only experience is with PowerTRONIC on a 200 and a 390 Duke.
I am happy with them but as said have never tried any other brand.
In your case, Coober is not good as this unit is only meant to correct A/F on modifications bought from Coober or Powerparts KTM.

Anyway, I'll get the popcorn out ;)

Whyzee 09-04-2019 12:09 AM

IF I were to try one, I believe I would choose the BoosterPlug

Mad_Mardigen 09-04-2019 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whyzee (Post 406845)
IF I were to try one, I believe I would choose the BoosterPlug


Why? anything to back that up? not much info on the web site.

Whyzee 09-04-2019 12:29 AM

In the research I did it appeared all were happy with it. Plug n play too without hacking the harness.

I am just saying it is the one I would choose.

I could be wrong but I believe the BP corrects the ultra lean condition of the FI That causes the unsteady low speed/rpm behavior of the engine.

KTMasean 09-04-2019 02:49 AM

Please let us stay with facts:
The booster plug to what I have learned from it ONLY fools the OEM ECU into thinking the ambient temperature is a couple of degrees C colder than it actually is, period.
What piggybacks requires to "hack" (whatever you mean by this) the OEM harness?
PowerTronic, as well as Coober, come with their own harness that runs beside the OEM one.

For the PowerTRONIC units, these adjust A/F ratio AND ignition. They also are pre-configured to run an upshift QS.
These are also customer adjustable through software that anyone can download f.o.c.

It will be helpful to only state facts on here in order to help people with questions, my opinion.

J W C 09-04-2019 08:14 AM

The BoosterPlug will correct the fueling low down... and yes it does tell the ECU that it is approx 20 deg. colder so the the ECU richens the fuel mixture (mostly when in open loop if I remember correctly). I have tried this on other motorcycles and it surely helped. Thing is that it is rather pricey for what you actually get.... IMHO....

pingywon 09-04-2019 08:39 AM

I have a PRE 2017 BoosterPlug for sale if anyone is interested...

Whyzee 09-04-2019 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whyzee (Post 406857)
In the research I did it appeared all were happy with it. Plug n play too without hacking the harness.
Fact: I did limited research and it appeared all users were happy with the BP. Fact: no cutting of the bikes wiring harness was required
I am just saying it is the one I would choose.
Fact: it is the piggyback ECU I would try if I were going to purchase one
I could be wrong but I believe the BP corrects the ultra lean condition of the FI That causes the unsteady low speed/rpm behavior of the engine. Fact: it corrects the ultra lean condition of the ecu by tricking it in order to enrichen the fuel mixture

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whyzee (Post 406845)
IF I were to try one, I believe I would choose the BoosterPlug. fact again

Quote:

Originally Posted by KTMasean (Post 406865)
Please let us stay with facts:
The booster plug to what I have learned from it ONLY fools the OEM ECU into thinking the ambient temperature is a couple of degrees C colder than it actually is, period.
What piggybacks requires to "hack" (whatever you mean by this) the OEM harness?
PowerTronic, as well as Coober, come with their own harness that runs beside the OEM one.

For the PowerTRONIC units, these adjust A/F ratio AND ignition. They also are pre-configured to run an upshift QS.
These are also customer adjustable through software that anyone can download f.o.c.

It will be helpful to only state facts on here in order to help people with questions, my opinion.

Excuse me Your Honor. Please show where I did not state facts!!! Or keep your negative comments to yourself. Fact

free range veal 09-04-2019 04:53 PM

The service guy at my dealer told me to shift when I asked power commanders. He said he has seen nothing but headaches from them. Downshift to boost the revs out of the hesitation zone and you'll be fine.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome