Valve shims - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 11-05-2019, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Valve shims

Where do you uk riders get your shim kits?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 11-06-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mack View Post
Where do you uk riders get your shim kits?
I am also looking, need to pull them out tomorrow and see what size they are, then gonna nip down local garage and see if they have any that I can just buy individually.
post #3 of 37 Old 11-07-2019, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Makes sense - especially if only 1 is outside range for instance. They're readily available as a rule?

post #4 of 37 Old 11-07-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Makes sense - especially if only 1 is outside range for instance. They're readily available as a rule?
not sure bud, first time I have actually had to change them, however when a garage takes in bikes as trade-ins they will need to service them so would imagine that they will possibly have shim sizes for all different sorts of manufacturers and models.

Time will tell. I still have to get old ones out and see what size they are so I know what new ones to get. only measured them yesterday.

let me know how you get on

p.s surely ktm will stock them however, I would imagine like everything else, they will come at an excessive price
post #5 of 37 Old 11-16-2019, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Got into it today and checked the clearances. All within spec, but one inlet is 0.08mm and one exhaust 0.13, so right on the bottom limit. The others are smack in the middle of their range.
As I've gone this far, it makes sense to adjust those that are getting tight, but as I'm going to have to lift the cams and get a pair of fresh shims anyway, does a sensible person take them all back to max permissible clearance while they're about it?
post #6 of 37 Old 11-16-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Got into it today and checked the clearances. All within spec, but one inlet is 0.08mm and one exhaust 0.13, so right on the bottom limit. The others are smack in the middle of their range.
As I've gone this far, it makes sense to adjust those that are getting tight, but as I'm going to have to lift the cams and get a pair of fresh shims anyway, does a sensible person take them all back to max permissible clearance while they're about it?

I just rebuilt the bike from doing mine. I got shims from KTM. My clearances were all tight upon checking them, I had both inlets 0.07mm and exhaust at 0.10mm. I have now got inlet at 0.12mm and exhaust 0.15mm so still tight but within tolerance. I think I will just check again in another 1k miles or so as I think the new shims might wear a fraction with being new.

Didn't want to risk going too small with the shims to raise the clearance in case went to big.
post #7 of 37 Old 11-16-2019, 05:50 PM

Garage
Hi T-Mack,

That's what I did. It's just as easy to replace four shims as it is one when you're that far into it anyway.

Cheers!
Craig
post #8 of 37 Old 11-17-2019, 12:12 AM

Garage
Here's my grrrr question on the subject... and tryta forgive me for being a **** mechanic, but i also haven't been into this top end yet, so here goes.

The cam followers are only held in place by two #90236056000 Valve Lever Shafts; which, coincidentally, are only held in place by two #90136056001 Screw Plugs that remove from the left side of cylinder head. See the attached pics.

But before I go too far with this, I'm gonna plant something right out front. The 2016 and 2017 rep manuals call out .08 - .12mm on the intake and .13 - .17mm on the exhaust; whereas, the 2018 rep manual calls out .10 - .15mm on the intake and .15 - .20mm on the exhaust. Hmmm... it'd been 8-12 and 13-17 all the way from 2013, according to documentation... then they finally widened it on the 18 and 19 models... Ok, enuffa that.

Back to the point -- I know the docs say the followers are DLC coated, but I'm only assuming they are 'steel', are they aluminum? Can anyone confirm this?

If they are steel, and if they have not worn into those shafts that support them, they could be easily suspended by multiple magnets, while one 'valve lever shaft' is removed at a time, and the shims extracted/replaced. I'm sure you can see what I might be getting at, the cams/chains etc would not even need to be removed to do the deed.

Maybe you have doubts about that being possible, but think about it... If there is 4-6-8 thousandth inches clearance between the rocker and cam with the engine at tdc, the shaft slides out (via magnetic extraction, or is its end threaded?), the rocker is rocked outta the way, the shim is picked out via another magnet and measured, a different shim is installed and [wow go back together].

Also, the Hot Cams 31 shim kit is the one that services this engine. They're 1.85 - 3.2 mm thick shims, 10mm in diameter in that kit, just like the factory parts... and they also graduate in .05 mm, so there really isn't a lot of fine differentiating going on there. What I mean is you need to think "is +/- .05 gonna take me outta spec?" Or maybe a better question might be, do you have a set of diamond lapping files, to do a little customizing on the shims bottom side.

The final thing I noticed was the dif between the 2018 and 2019 duke owners manuals. 2018 was when they changed to a looser valve clearance spec; the very next year, 2019, they apparently did away with the 1000km valve clearance check.

The pictures are captioned, in case they don't make sense at first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valve lever shafts & plugs.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	49583   Click image for larger version

Name:	valve train 01.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	49585   Click image for larger version

Name:	valvetrain side view.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	49587   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-2018 valve clearance specs.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	49589   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 valve clearance specs.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	49591  

Click image for larger version

Name:	valve adjust 2018.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	49593   Click image for larger version

Name:	valve adjust 2019.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	49595  
lcjohnny likes this.

Last edited by DukeofSeven; 11-17-2019 at 12:15 AM. Reason: added reader direction to picture captions
post #9 of 37 Old 11-17-2019, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeofSeven View Post
But before I go too far with this, I'm gonna plant something right out front. The 2016 and 2017 rep manuals call out .08 - .12mm on the intake and .13 - .17mm on the exhaust; whereas, the 2018 rep manual calls out .10 - .15mm on the intake and .15 - .20mm on the exhaust. Hmmm... it'd been 8-12 and 13-17 all the way from 2013, according to documentation... then they finally widened it on the 18 and 19 models... Ok, enuffa that.
For your information. It has a official position of KTM R&D.
https://www.ktmduke390forum.com/foru...clearance.html

Luis
KTMasean and lcjohnny like this.
post #10 of 37 Old 11-17-2019, 09:53 AM

Garage
LNICK... big shout out to Rio, what a gorgeous place to live and ride!

and yeah, I just read that post you mentioned; good to see there are other mechanics on here (from ALL parts of the world), and that someone previously noticed and pointed out the change. I especially liked the quote about...

"After speaking to our R&D department I can give you the following feedback:
During the product development process, the valve clearance values have changed from MY17 to MY18.
The new values (intake: 0,10-0,15mm; exhaust: 0,15-0,20mm) can also be used retrospective for the old models."

I'm assuming that's what you were referring to when you said "It has a official position of KTM R&D". And kudos to KTMasean for getting the low-down on all that; otherwise, who'd know? Did the Admin ever make that a sticky at the head of the forum?
lcjohnny likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page