Advice please... - KTM Duke 390 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 07-05-2015, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Advice please...

Hi folks,

After your thoughts on this please:

So, Had my Duke 390 for almost exactly 3 months, done 1242 miles, run in properly as per dealers instructions, serviced as per dealer instructions... engine is lunched - sounds like a bag of spanners when running at idle (literally like there's a loose nut or bolt inside the engine).

So, my question is would you accept a full rebuild or go for a new engine/bike? The latter will be harder to get from the dealer I'm sure (even if they have any left as it's a '14 model) but tbh I don't want a rebuild as who knows what damage has been done to the rest of the engine?

I would have thought to TOTALLY rebuild an engine which is what the dealer has suggested (they haven't looked at the bike yet, it was returned to them 2 days ago) would be much more costly in workshop time than just replacing it under warranty...? Although I guess that would mean issuing a new log book or something as the engine number won't match the frame etc....

I like the bike so don't really want a refund BUT I'm a bit unsure as to the best route to try for: new bike, new engine or a rebuild - and how do I know the dealer has done it as thoroughly as I'd like so it doesn't happen again, possibly when the bike is that much older and out of warranty....?

Thoughts would be appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-05-2015, 05:30 PM

Garage
I'd insist on a new motor at the very least. I know some of these engines had issues with the clutch basket bolt not being torqued correctly but a rebuild may not correct what other condition could have caused the engine to fail. if it wasn't the clutch that let go. A proper tear down would be required just to determine the extent of the damage. KTM would be much more likely to authorize engine replacement under warranty than the entire bike I believe. I know people who've had various engines "rebuilt" under warranty and most failed again shortly thereafter.

Pete

Pete in Maine
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-05-2015, 10:12 PM

Garage
I agree with the above, to go a new engine. Yep the numbers might not match, but are you looking at having the bike for a long time or trying to sell it in a few months.

If you do a rebuild, there is the time issue plus the niggling feeling that there might be something else missed (plus if the same people who left something loose in your engine are the ones rebuilding it....).

With the new bike option... if it is not covered in the warranty I doubt they will take a hit in the back pocket and give you a new bike. Best hope is they give you one to use while yours is awaiting repair. Unless they have an ex demo or something in stock.

Aust: YZF-R1, Phil: Ninja 650R, Viet: Duke 390... a bike for everywhere.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page