What did the dealers do for you? UK buyers - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 04-08-2014, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
What did the dealers do for you? UK buyers

Hi guys, just a quick one to ask how helpful the dealers were to those who have bought bikes new in the UK. As in, what did they chuck in or how much did they knock off? I only ask as I have bought a number of brand new cars in the past and have had sizeable chunks of money knocked off the rrp. I have also had extras thrown in like X amount of money's worth of options free or X amount of free services. The reason i ask is the dealers I have spoken to seem very reluctant to do anything at all and those that will seem to be offering things in the tens not the one hundreds I would expect. I know by comparison it's unfair, but years ago I bought a brand new ford fiesta that was on a forecourt at 10k. Three meetings later, a few phonecalls and a bit of thinking, I drive the car away for 7k. 30% off the rrp.

Any help, advice or own experiences much appreciate. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 04-08-2014, 11:25 PM

I wouldn't expect much of a deal from any motorbike dealer. Still less on a Duke. Partly this is due to competition (or lack thereof), partly volume and partly to a poor approach to retail.

Taking your Ford example, Ford has over 130 main dealers in the UK, and between them they shift over 6,000 Fiestas PER MONTH.

KTM has 26 dealers in the UK (including IoM and NI), and they shift a bit over 6,000 bikes PER YEAR across KTM's entire range.

There's very little incentive for a dealer to talk discounts or sweeteners unless they seriously think you're cross-shopping against another brand or model. And even then, the Duke 390 is still in relatively high demand, so it's not like it'll be sitting around for long if they don't sell it to the first person who comes along.

Add to this a very traditional "spare-parts" approach to retailing (as in "Here's your widget, that's the price, do you want it or not?") and it can be really hard work to get anything extra when you buy a niche bike like the Duke.

Probably worth a try though.

bm
post #3 of 33 Old 04-09-2014, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, I didn't put as much thought into in terms of the amount of units sold and the amount of dealers when compared to that of ford. I will definitely be having one anyway, I just thought the dealers would of been able to do more in terms of price or optional extras.

post #4 of 33 Old 04-09-2014, 07:14 PM

I didn't get owt for free but the dealer I dealt with - Drysdale in Perth - were pretty helpful.

I got my 2013 for 4.5k and 0% which was a nationwide deal I think.

I guess I didn't give them much reason to chuck anythin in or give any further discount as I basically phoned and said "You got any? When can I pick it up?"
post #5 of 33 Old 04-09-2014, 08:32 PM

My deal was that the dealer made sure I had the 2nd one out the door, zero talks around pricing because they knew they had the upper hand........there were 6 orders behind mine and the initial delivery had 3

post #6 of 33 Old 04-10-2014, 04:25 AM

I got a good discount from Redline KTM in Loughborough for a straight cash buy. Talk to Richard there, he's very helpful.
post #7 of 33 Old 04-10-2014, 02:01 PM

Not UK but similar cultural attitude...

First dealer in Norway wouldn't budge even a single Kroner and complained that he only gets a very small profit on the 390. Second one was loads better and gave me equivalent of 550GBP off the retail, plus talked him into providing the first service free which in Norway normally is about 400GBP so I was very happy.

Might as well try and haggle all your local dealers. You have nothing to lose. I find doing it in person gets better results as they know you are probably a serious buyer.
post #8 of 33 Old 04-24-2014, 06:06 AM
Sid

Sorry for poking nose here- got my 390 in Bangalore and dint even get a key chain along with it! So yeah, that's about it..
post #9 of 33 Old 04-24-2014, 11:54 AM

I got 2 liters of fuel to get me to a petrol station and a nice wave goodbye
philcuore and Sid like this.
post #10 of 33 Old 04-24-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanN View Post
I got 2 liters of fuel to get me to a petrol station and a nice wave goodbye
SeanN just won the cookie folks

SeanN likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page