To remap or not to remap - KTM remapping - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 07-13-2018, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Ede

Garage
(Thread Starter)
To remap or not to remap - KTM remapping

Today I drove my bike to KTM for the 1000km service.
Until now my engine (Duke 390 2017) is 100% stock.
I asked the guy who makes the service about options for remapping.
I explained to him that at low speed, i.e. 3,000 RPM, maybe 1/4 throttle the bike is stuttering. That seems to be normal with the standard KTM map.
The mechanic told me he will look at the options for a remap (I guess he will talk with other people who know more about it).
I will go there tomorrow and pick up my bike and probably they will wait for me until they do any remapping.

Is there any disadvantage of a different KTM map?
It seems the original map is lean for emission and fuel efficiency reasons. I don't really care too much about those.
I want that the engine feels perfectly tuned in any condition - even if it uses more gas.

Here in this forum are many entries about remapping with aftermarket exhausts, air filter modifications, etc.
Until now I don't have any modification and I am not sure if I ever want them. Maybe I would want that the bike is a little louder so that other people can hear me, but that's about it.
I want a well tuned bike, original from KTM, without buying extra hardware.

What is your experience?
Did anybody do a KTM remapping with stock engine (with the 2017 model)?
Are there any bad side effects?

Maybe they give me the option that they map it and I try it and if I don't like it change the mapping back to original. Until now I don't know.
But I want to be prepared for any discussion about that by tomorrow.

Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-13-2018, 04:21 AM

The current tune is what's required to comply with Euro 4 standard, when Euro 5 comes out, I would doubt any four stroke single would comply, the only way is to piggyback the ECU with adjustable ECU controller, for your interest, my 17 Duke done 5000 KMs (3000 miles) and it is already smoother
post #3 of 17 Old 07-13-2018, 04:50 AM

Hi Dirttrev, is your bike stock?

post #4 of 17 Old 07-13-2018, 06:02 AM

Ede,

I do not know for sure but read on this forum that the >2016 models will not be re-mapped by KTM dealers.
The <2016 models have what they call an Akro map that is supposed to comply with the Powerparts aftermarket exhaust.
I do not know of any negative side effects of having this bike run less lean and read that actually, the fuel consumption will go down instead of up due to this.
I have no own experience as my 2015/6 Duke has the standard underbelly silencer that I like better.
I do run a PowerTronic V3 piggyback that smoothened out the jerkiness at lower RPM's.
There is an ECU tuner in Pattaya that claims to "improve" (which simply means the bike will no longer be EU4 compatible) power and rideability of the Duke.
You can send them your ECU unit and they even restore to OEM settings if not happy.
I asked them to send me some dyno graphs but for now, they are not able to.
If you are interested in this option please DM me and I will look for the companies details.
The other option would be to get a Coober Powerparts tuner, KTM approved and your Dukes warrenty will be taken over by this company.
This unit, however, is not tunable by the customer.
post #5 of 17 Old 07-13-2018, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Ede

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all your input so far.
If that bike would have a carburetor I would take a screw driver and maybe some new jets and fix it myself...

I am sure KTM would be able to have the engine running smoothly under all conditions. After all, that's what all this modern electronic is about.
Let's look how much they want to do what they can do.

And yes, I know that the dealers have restrictions and manufacturers have to follow the laws.
Maybe I should complain to whoever made those emission regulations
post #6 of 17 Old 07-13-2018, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Ede

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMasean View Post
There is an ECU tuner in Pattaya that claims to "improve" (which simply means the bike will no longer be EU4 compatible) power and rideability of the Duke.
You can send them your ECU unit and they even restore to OEM settings if not happy.
I asked them to send me some dyno graphs but for now, they are not able to.

Maybe I just never saw them but I don't think there are useful dyno graphs about how smooth an engine runs with maybe 20% open throttle.
The charts are all about max torque and power. It's obviously nice to have max power with WOT. As far as I see until now (< 1,000km) the Duke has a lot of power and I don't really need a few percent more power. But a little smoother power delivery at low RPM would be nice.

I even know that the Duke can run smoother. My bike does this every time I start it in the morning for a couple of 100m. I guess at that time it's like using the choke on old bikes which make the air-fuel ratio richer...
KTMasean likes this.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-13-2018, 08:46 PM

There is no re mapping for 2017+.
post #8 of 17 Old 07-14-2018, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Ede

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRocket View Post
There is no re mapping for 2017+.
I confirm that is also what my dealer told me today.
post #9 of 17 Old 07-14-2018, 12:30 PM

Does anybody know if the ecu is smart enough to learn and compensate for small changes . Triumph ecu's are able to do this . I have removed the cat and run loud silencers on my Triumph Thruxton 1200 only having to do what they call a reset adaptation ( start the bike and let it run ticking over for a period for the ecu to learn .
KTMasean likes this.
post #10 of 17 Old 07-14-2018, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Ede

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgepig View Post
Does anybody know if the ecu is smart enough to learn and compensate for small changes . Triumph ecu's are able to do this . I have removed the cat and run loud silencers on my Triumph Thruxton 1200 only having to do what they call a reset adaptation ( start the bike and let it run ticking over for a period for the ecu to learn .
I read in this forum that the KTM has also such a 15 minute reset procedure.
But I don't have a link ready for you.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page