Rapid Bike Easy - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 04-10-2019, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I just installed one of these units on my 2019 Duke 390.
I am posting this as l could not find any posts where people had fitted this device and were still actually using the bike.

Either they had since sold the bike, or removed the unit to install the Rapid Bike Evo, or had the pre 2017 Duke.

So....it took an hour and a half to fit it, as l wanted to route the wire into the tailpiece where l fitted the module.
I fed the wire under the tank, round the side of the battery with the main harness, and under the relays beneath the seat.
This involved removing the LHS front plastic bodywork and the bracket holding the tank at the rear (to get the wire behind)

I went for a ride and the low RPM running of the bike is transformed. The bike will now drive at 5mph in first gear without slipping the clutch. It will go below 10mph in second gear with no snatching from the transmission at all.
In third gear it will drive down to below 15mph again with no transmission snatch.

The rest of the running feels as before, at higher speeds it feels the same. I did about 15 miles.

l will report back when l have ridden the bike further.

Last edited by lightning; 04-10-2019 at 05:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-11-2019, 06:09 AM

That's good to hear, I've been considering either the Easy or the Evo for my 2019 Duke, with the purpose of smoothing out the low speed response. If the Easy unit does it well, I might just save some money.
I hear there are dials to set, what are your settings? Are you running the stock exhaust?

2019 390 Duke
Poland
post #3 of 19 Old 04-11-2019, 06:19 AM

Got one on my 2017 bike. Been on a year and very happy with the low speed running.
Riding through a car par or manoeuvring was tricky before, having to slip the clutch to stop the bike jerking about. Spot on now

post #4 of 19 Old 04-11-2019, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I have today done a 25 mile ride through mainly heavy city traffic to buy a new helmet
Went with a budget of 2-300 but came out with a 500 Arai
But that’s another story.

RBE has made this bike a joy to ride in traffic. I still use the clutch sometimes but the bike will basically now go down to 3,000rpm in any gear and drive without having to use the clutch.

That’s around 5/10/15/20mph in 1/2/3/4 gear.
In the higher gears minimum speed is dictated by the minimum useable RPM of the single cylinder motor rather than fuelling.
So around 25mph in fifth and just over 30mph in sixth.

Not that you’d really be doing these speeds (you’d change down a gear) but it will do it.

But the main thing is, the improved low speed running. Unless they do something to improve the engine’s low speed fuelling at the first service (my bike has only 300 miles from new) l would say that this device should pretty much be the first thing that you buy after getting the bike.

I will update as l ride the bike more.
Bernard1414 likes this.
post #5 of 19 Old 04-11-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Big_Mac_ View Post
That's good to hear, I've been considering either the Easy or the Evo for my 2019 Duke, with the purpose of smoothing out the low speed response. If the Easy unit does it well, I might just save some money.
I hear there are dials to set, what are your settings? Are you running the stock exhaust?
The bike is completely stock.

The instructions tell you what to set the two dials at, so l just set them at those positions.

It also improves the fairly severe on/off throttle response at slow speeds.

If you just want to improve the running of the bike as l detailed above then l
can say that it’s transformed the bike.

You can do a lot more with the Evo version but all l wanted was a bike that l could ride easily in traffic.
I’m happy with the performance as standard.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-13-2019, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I’m surprised at the lack of interest in this modification....it transformed the bike’s running in the city.

I have a feeling that the poor low rpm fuelling is to do with emissions laws in the UK, and other markets (such as the USA) May have different ECU mapping so they run better.

Few people in the USA (and there’s plenty on here) have mentioned any issue with low speed running, also a fair few owners are from India and none of them have mentioned it either.
Bernard1414 likes this.
post #7 of 19 Old 04-13-2019, 05:34 PM

its a great mod, as is the Evo and Race modules from the same people, and the PCV and the other ones like this.

They are all popular.

However, that's why this thread isn't going too far. Its all been said and done many times over.
KTMasean and Charles like this.

'18 RC390
Delkevic Exhaust
Rapidbike Evo
pedals/levers
fully open airbox
weight removal
R6 rear shock
Hella H9
post #8 of 19 Old 04-13-2019, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I searched at length and could find nothing regarding the 2017 onward Duke 390

There was one guy who had fitted the device, but then sold the bike. Another had gone into the operation of the unit at length and posted the fuel ratios etc
But l couldn’t find anybody who was actually using a bike with one fitted.

Surprisingly there’s not much written about low speed fuelling issues on the 2017 onward model. None of the reviews mention it at all.
I assume it’s just accepted that you need to keep the revs up on a bike like this, to get around emissions derived issues.

I will keep reporting on how my bike performs with the Rapid Bike Easy fitted. At the moment it’s free from the low speed transmission snatching that l had before.

Last edited by lightning; 04-13-2019 at 06:56 PM.
post #9 of 19 Old 04-13-2019, 08:14 PM

Garage
It's fairly good unit for the price, if the goal is to do mild modifications and help with the low end fueling I recommend it. The 17 motor isn't really different from the 16 motor.

-2016 KTM 390 Duke-
post #10 of 19 Old 04-22-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The bike is still running great with this unit fitted.
I’ve done a fair bit of “urban” riding and have basically forgotten about previously having to use the clutch at low speed.

MPG seems similar to how it was before.
Bernard1414 likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page