3Likes
  • 1 Post By moazman
  • 1 Post By lightning
  • 1 Post By HedsKatoom

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-19-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Coober ECU issue

I bought a Coober secondhand off eBay the other week for my new shape 390 Duke. It's made a huge difference to the tractability of the engine, and has extended the rev range of the gears in both directions (ie it's less fussy what gear your in).

However, every now and then it hesitates, as though the chain's knackered, or even the cush rubbers are knackered, but both check out. It only happens at lowish speeds, and it kinda stalls momentarily and then gets on with it.

Any ideas anyone?

ETA: I use Shell V Power as a rule (99 RON, IIRC), and use 95 if the 99's not available

Last edited by HedsKatoom; 07-19-2019 at 10:59 AM. Reason: add fuel type
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-19-2019, 11:00 AM

Garage
I donít have any experience of it yet, but if it was me, I would clean and reseat all the connectors and test again
KTMasean likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-19-2019, 11:09 AM

My 2018 Duke 390 occasionally has a “lurch” at low RPM in first/second gear and it’s quite disconcerting when it happens. (Three times in 800 miles)

I fitted a Rapid Bike Easy module which stopped it happening, but had to disconnect it because my insurance wouldn’t cover the bike with it fitted.

The Coober is supposed to be a really good unit, have you tried contacting the company about it?

You don’t need to use higher octane fuel it will be fine on 95ron
It’s designed to run fine on the 91ron available in some countries

Last edited by lightning; 07-19-2019 at 11:13 AM.

post #4 of 8 Old 07-19-2019, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moazman View Post
I donít have any experience of it yet, but if it was me, I would clean and reseat all the connectors and test again
Yeah, I'll be doing just that this weekend, if the weather behaves itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
<snip>

The Coober is supposed to be a really good unit, have you tried contacting the company about it?
Not yet. I imagine that they're not going to be that interested in a secondhand unit. However, if the cleaning and checking of connections doesn't solve matters, an email will be sent to Coober HQ
post #5 of 8 Old 07-20-2019, 07:19 AM

I’m sure they will be OK to give advice on their product.

I contacted the company who make the RBE unit as l was getting a check engine light and they were really helpful, they never even asked if l bought the unit new or used.
(the unit worked after changing one of the settings and the check engine light went out after a couple more rides)
HedsKatoom likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-22-2019, 04:16 AM

Garage
The Coober ECU units are not customer adjustable at all.
This is a plug & ride unit unlike other available piggybacks.
How many kilometres have you done with your piggyback before your insurance made you it take you off?
If you experienced the glitch 3 times in 1,290 kilometres but not on your ? kilometres run with the piggyback it could have been anything.
The Coober units, when bought new, can be factory set at a certain modification setting as in Power Parts exhaust.
First step would be to contact the seller and ask if this unit is for a standard set-up or ordered for any modifications.
Unlike you, I'm not too sure Coober will be getting into a dialogue on their units being bought second hand not knowing what has happened to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
I’m sure they will be OK to give advice on their product.

I contacted the company who make the RBE unit as l was getting a check engine light and they were really helpful, they never even asked if l bought the unit new or used.
(the unit worked after changing one of the settings and the check engine light went out after a couple more rides)

As long as you are happy with what you ride.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-27-2019, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMasean View Post
The Coober ECU units are not customer adjustable at all.
This is a plug & ride unit unlike other available piggybacks.
How many kilometres have you done with your piggyback before your insurance made you it take you off?
If you experienced the glitch 3 times in 1,290 kilometres but not on your ? kilometres run with the piggyback it could have been anything.
The Coober units, when bought new, can be factory set at a certain modification setting as in Power Parts exhaust.
First step would be to contact the seller and ask if this unit is for a standard set-up or ordered for any modifications.
Unlike you, I'm not too sure Coober will be getting into a dialogue on their units being bought second hand not knowing what has happened to them.
I've contacted the seller, and the Coober is apparently absolutely standard. Which doesn't help matters. Next step is to contact Coober themselves.
KTMasean likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-29-2019, 11:03 AM

Sounds a load of old cobblers to me ..... (LOL) ...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page