Loud metallic clicking/rattling engine noise - Page 2 - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 Old 07-10-2017, 11:37 PM

In all honesty.. once your warranty runs out, learn how to do it yourself.. that way you have only yourself to blame and most if all you can be confident that the work has been done correctly. Plenty of how to videos on YouTube and plenty of guys right here on this forum with wealth of knowledge and experience from all around the world to help you complete your task at hand.. as unfortunately these days honesty, integrity and general pride in doing the right thing for your customer has all but been lost..
sweetride4me likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 07-11-2017, 07:50 AM

Mine sounds pretty rough too - but the nasty noise stops when you pull the clutch in - apparantly normal!?
Does that change the noise coming from yours at all?
post #13 of 15 Old 07-11-2017, 07:38 PM

Mine start to make the noise as well. Since Im a DIY addicted and do NOT trust in dealers I bought a stethoscope, not for doctors, and I will try to find exactly where is coming the noise and what is the real cause. It will arrive until Friday, I hope.
I will take some time but I think that trust in dealers is not good for my heart

post #14 of 15 Old 07-15-2017, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks a lot for the inputs guys.

Now I haven't been able to take it to the shop yet, but searching around I've found the video below, which is *exactly* the same noise, but from another KTM engine (450 trail). Check the comments, seems like offroad KTM owners (whose engines probably share a lot of with ours) experience this weird noise a lot:

The guy did a battery of open-engine checks/swaps to no avail:

- Cam Chain Tensioner adjusted/changed: no luck (though in the comments others say this fixed)
- Valves checked: within specs, and still noise
- Primary gear & nut check: in great shape (though this https://youtu.be/KipHrQ4XsEg and this https://youtu.be/c60_uF-K8SQ look interesting)

Someone suggested cam chain guide rails being worn out, but no further inputs after that.

I've also found reports of such noise from bigger dukes (single cylinder ones).

@mandatedmotorvation : completely agreed! And searching I might give these guys a try, they have great reviews and say work on European brands Speed Motorcycle. Up in bronx so an easy ride there and I can subway back (I can't from the KTM dealer easily).

@jiri : I'm that type of person too, and have always DIY'ed my things. However, living in NYC this is not an ordinary task. Living in an apartment without the proper tools/workbench/etc (and having the bike parked 5 blocks away at a 110$ a month cost) greatly limits any work on it :/

@AndyB : thanks for the inputs. I've carefully monitored this, and is seems totally unrelated to the clutch: the noise is there in any gear, and in neutral, and with clutch pulled or not. The noise is directly related to engine revs, and sounds louder at some revs (so sounds like the rattling resonates more at some rev frequencies, suggesting that indeed is something mechanical)

@LNICK : that's a nice idea!! Thanks for the input, and nice to know someone here from BR too Let me know any findings you might have from your "hearing" !!

As soon as I have some inputs here I'll update you guys. And the saga continues....

Last edited by MrMartin; 07-15-2017 at 10:36 AM.
post #15 of 15 Old 08-03-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNICK View Post
Mine start to make the noise as well. Since Im a DIY addicted and do NOT trust in dealers I bought a stethoscope, not for doctors, and I will try to find exactly where is coming the noise and what is the real cause. It will arrive until Friday, I hope.
I will take some time but I think that trust in dealers is not good for my heart
Sorry guys but my noise came from a small metallic spacer located in the led lights that I installed.
Good for me but I did not discovery the root of the engine noise.
Luis

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page