2017 Duke stalling - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 08-28-2017, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
2017 Duke stalling

I've owned it for less than a month (about 300 miles on it) and it sometimes stalls when I rev it. I pulled out of the garage and stayed in 1st to the stop sign exiting the cul-de-sac. With the clutch fully disengaged I go to give it a few revs to get going and it immediately shuts off (didn't let the clutch out at all). Another time I was downshifting to 2nd and was going to twist the throttle to rev match and same thing, just shuts off (again without even releasing the clutch).

Just wondering if anyone else had this problem and was the fix for it was. I'm out of state right now but I plan on taking it in when I get back home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 08-29-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC412 View Post
I've owned it for less than a month (about 300 miles on it) and it sometimes stalls when I rev it. I pulled out of the garage and stayed in 1st to the stop sign exiting the cul-de-sac. With the clutch fully disengaged I go to give it a few revs to get going and it immediately shuts off (didn't let the clutch out at all). Another time I was downshifting to 2nd and was going to twist the throttle to rev match and same thing, just shuts off (again without even releasing the clutch).

Just wondering if anyone else had this problem and was the fix for it was. I'm out of state right now but I plan on taking it in when I get back home.
Plenty of us have had the same issue, especially on the 15/16.
There's a thread in this section on how to fix it, well the 15/16 at least. I'd find it for you, but I'm too lazy. Just look down the page

2015 Speedy White one.
Mods: Bazzaz piggyback, MNNTHBX open airbox, K & N air filter, Werkes exhaust, R6 rear shock, PowerParts seats, G6 quick turn throttle, Spal fan, EI conversion, cheapo bar end mirrors and levers, Evotech tail tidy, Evotech spols and bobbins, R&G radiator guard, PowerParts chain guard, EBC HH pads.
post #3 of 38 Old 08-30-2017, 12:07 PM

I just bought my 17 last Saturday and since then have had 4 instances of cold start stalls. 3 stalls yesterday morning alone. My issue has never been while in motion like stated in the OP... I read that it's a throttle body adjustment issue so I called the service manager to let him know of the problem and that it appears to be common amongst the duke 390's of past and the 690 duke after a simple search of the issue. So I dropped it off yesterday evening. I'll report back what I hear today from them.... New bikes shouldn't have this issue.

post #4 of 38 Old 08-30-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike25 View Post
I just bought my 17 last Saturday and since then have had 4 instances of cold start stalls. 3 stalls yesterday morning alone. My issue has never been while in motion like stated in the OP... I read that it's a throttle body adjustment issue so I called the service manager to let him know of the problem and that it appears to be common amongst the duke 390's of past and the 690 duke after a simple search of the issue. So I dropped it off yesterday evening. I'll report back what I hear today from them.... New bikes shouldn't have this issue.
Well it turns out i was on the right track and the throttle bodies weren't correctly adjusted from the factory. . . it's ready fro pick up
varroa likes this.
post #5 of 38 Old 08-30-2017, 07:31 PM

Hmm never heard of that on 390 before.
Can you ask what exactly wasn't adjusted?
varroa likes this.
post #6 of 38 Old 12-08-2017, 11:53 AM

KTM Duke Stalling

[QUOTE=MotoMike25;341386]Well it turns out i was on the right track and the throttle bodies weren't correctly adjusted from the factory. . . it's ready fro pick up [/QU

Hi, so as the issue gone now ? what was done exactly ? thanks !
post #7 of 38 Old 12-09-2017, 01:25 PM

Garage
Stalling issues have been known and most of the time it had to do with the side stand switch .
post #8 of 38 Old 12-09-2017, 01:41 PM
JP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimapa View Post
Stalling issues have been known and most of the time it had to do with the side stand switch .
I had what I think was a side stand issue yesterday. It started fine and kept dying as soon as I put it in gear. Side stand was up with the light out, but that's a pretty classic side stand symptom. It was very cold, so maybe the switch was sticky. Also, after it died the second time the screen went blank and it wouldn't crank. Checked the battery voltage and it was just over 4v. I hadn't had it on the battery tender, so that was my bad. As soon as I plugged it in, it started right up and rode fine.
I think even though the bike is new the battery might be bad. It hasn't been that cold and I've been riding it consistently, so it shouldn't have needed to be on the charger yet. That's not really that unusual from my experience with new bikes though. They sit for as long time before they're sold and generally seem to have poor quality batteries. I've read that this has been an issue with some Dukes. Anyway, I'm leaving it in the battery tender all the time now so hopefully I won't have to deal with it until the first service.
Interestingly, my intermittent neutral light issue has disappeared and it works fine now.
JP

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #9 of 38 Old 12-10-2017, 07:50 AM

since you have it for less than a month, let the dealer solve the problem now that your are still on warranty. Take also into consideration what other members said and inform relatively the dealer.
1jzsupra likes this.
post #10 of 38 Old 12-10-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimapa View Post

I did the washer fix - didnt fix it. does the magnet need to touch the switch or just be close to it. with the washer there is still a very small gap.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page