Surging, died, won't start - Page 4 - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 55 Old 09-18-2019, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Not yet. Don't one of that means they're super busy and haven't gotten to it, or if they're having a hard time figuring out what's going on. They were closed on Sunday and Monday, so I'm hoping to hear something today.

2017 Duke 390

Only a motorcycle rider can understand why a dog sticks his head out of the window.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 Old 09-21-2019, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
It's taken a while for the dealer to finally get into it, but I got an update today. They said that it's not getting any spark, but the coil is checking good. They've opened a case with KTM to try to figure it out. Now I'm really interested to find out what caused all of this.
SickSadWorld likes this.

2017 Duke 390

Only a motorcycle rider can understand why a dog sticks his head out of the window.
post #33 of 55 Old 09-27-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Just got off of the phone with the dealer. Apparently KTM has no idea what happened with my bike. It kind of sounds like they're not even sure how to fix it. I think the suspicion is that the ECM is bad but they can't confirm it.

Maybe I'll get my bike back before spring.

2017 Duke 390

post #34 of 55 Old 09-27-2019, 07:28 PM

Let’s hope so!!

I wonder if by some chance it could be the large white multi-plug under the pillion seat? This plug goes to the alarm unit should one so desire to install one. There is a dummy plug that has one jumper wire, that mates to the multi-plug until the alarm unit is installed instead. If that single jumper wire breaks or loses connection, motor doesn’t run anymore. I assume you do not have a security alarm installed? I know this connection is a long shot but you never know. It could be plugged in and look just fine, but not completing a critical connection

This isnít my first rodeo, but it is the first one with real clowns...
post #35 of 55 Old 09-27-2019, 08:05 PM

Garage
Wow, not impressed. KTM cant figure it out? Shouldn't they be swapping out parts till they figure it out and what about the diagnostics???
I would call KTM and give them an ear full and keep a log of all your interactions.
post #36 of 55 Old 09-27-2019, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyzee View Post
Letís hope so!!

I wonder if by some chance it could be the large white multi-plug under the pillion seat? This plug goes to the alarm unit should one so desire to install one. There is a dummy plug that has one jumper wire, that mates to the multi-plug until the alarm unit is installed instead. If that single jumper wire breaks or loses connection, motor doesnít run anymore. I assume you do not have a security alarm installed? I know this connection is a long shot but you never know. It could be plugged in and look just fine, but not completing a critical connection
I have to assume they've checked that.

2017 Duke 390

Last edited by Whiskey; 09-27-2019 at 09:26 PM.
post #37 of 55 Old 09-27-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Mardigen View Post
Wow, not impressed. KTM cant figure it out? Shouldn't they be swapping out parts till they figure it out and what about the diagnostics???
I would call KTM and give them an ear full and keep a log of all your interactions.
They get one more week. I start getting mean if I'm not riding by next weekend. Part of the problem is that I'm having to take the stealer at their word. For all I know KTM doesn't pay well for warranty work and they've got other customers paying full price so they've giving me a runaround.

Although the weather has been perfect, I've been busy, so the bike would have likely been in the garage all this time anyway. I'm thinking that if they can't fix it by next weekend I might insist that they give me a 690 as a service loaner.
Whyzee likes this.

2017 Duke 390

post #38 of 55 Old 09-27-2019, 10:21 PM

Garage
Hi Whiskey,

Sorry to hear this.
What are you referring to with ECM?
Whatever it is I hope they are able to swap it for a new one to see if that is it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
Just got off of the phone with the dealer. Apparently KTM has no idea what happened with my bike. It kind of sounds like they're not even sure how to fix it. I think the suspicion is that the ECM is bad but they can't confirm it.

Maybe I'll get my bike back before spring.

As long as you are happy with what you ride.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #39 of 55 Old 09-27-2019, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMasean View Post
Hi Whiskey,

Sorry to hear this.

What are you referring to with ECM?

Whatever it is I hope they are able to swap it for a new one to see if that is it.
Engine control module. It's basically the computer that runs everything.
KTMasean likes this.

2017 Duke 390

post #40 of 55 Old 09-28-2019, 05:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
For all I know KTM doesn't pay well for warranty
Correct, KTM do not pay well for warranty work. The time limits are ridiculous apparently.

Quote:
I might insist that they give me a 690 as a service loaner.
I got a 390 when mine went in for warranty work. But it might be different for you because they have to first diagnose your problem. They also have to buy replacement parts from KTM before they can apply for a refund so they have to be sure of the problem.

Defo ask for a loaner dude, Iím sure youíd find the time to ride!
Whiskey likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page