bolt gone awol - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By lightning
  • 1 Post By KTMasean

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-21-2019, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
bolt gone awol

giving the bike a clean and noticed that the bolt holding the exhaust to the the hanger was missing...the factory not heard of loctite?:seriously at times I do wonder about how well together things are on these machines, its not the first bolt I have had rattle lose on a motorcycle but it does make one wonder about the critical ones...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-21-2019, 06:33 PM

Not had anything come loose on my 2019 Duke 390
KTMasean likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-22-2019, 02:43 AM

Garage
I had the magnetic stand bolt fall out at a petrol station on my 200 at around 42,000 km and 4 years.
duke200 likes this.

As long as you are happy with what you ride.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old 10-23-2019, 08:56 PM

Garage
It's funny you should post this. Friday just gone I was on the way to work.... I stopped at the petrol station and filled up. Some people in cars arrived and were looking at me strangely... I couldn't work out why. I got on my bike and rode off. Close to work where traffic is slow I heard a strange sound [hard to hear as I wear earplugs and have a straightpipe with baffle in.... so quite loud]. It was a strange sound and I thought I must have a flat rear tyre so I pulled over. It turned out that my feckin exhaust had been dragging on the ground as both bolts that hold the hanger to the bike were missing. I was obviously annoyed at KTM for not using locktite, at myself for not doing a walk around at the service station when I filled up and at the fucking motorists who just stared at me instead of saying 'hey mate, your exhaust is dragging on the ground'... to not say something is a kunt act.
Anyway I tied the exhaust on with a USB cable, then headed to the Motorcycle service centre on Smith street Collingwood where the fixed the problem without any fuss [using locktite, unlike KTM]. Nice folks there.

Last edited by NreeK; 10-23-2019 at 08:58 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-24-2019, 10:14 AM

There where some loose bolts on my 200. At first service all bolts must be inspected

Sent from my ASUS_X00HD using Tapatalk
post #6 of 8 Old 10-24-2019, 05:11 PM

Your exhaust was literally dragging on the ground and you didn’t notice when walking back to the bike?

I always give my bike the once over before every ride. Although granted l can’t check every fastener.

But l hope l would notice if the exhaust was falling off.

Last edited by lightning; 10-24-2019 at 05:13 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-25-2019, 03:59 PM

Loctite near hot places might not work as intended - the glue is not heat resistant I think. Maybe that's why they don't put any at the factory?
Then again, the exhaust holder is probably relatively cool.

2019 390 Duke
Poland
post #8 of 8 Old 10-30-2019, 08:06 PM

Garage
Lightening, yes correct, I did not see the exhaust dragging on the ground at the service station as when I was stationary it was not dragging, it was merely touching the ground. I also dismount the bike on the left, fuelled up from the left... went and paid to the left of the bike and remounted the bike from the left with my helmet back on. So I never actually saw the right hand side of the bike. If I had, I might have noticed it. As I said above, I was angry at myself for not doing a walk around before getting on. It is something I do at home before I leave. So, it's a good lesson for me and anyone else out there. I'm glad nothing more drastic happened. There are scratches that aren't that visible on the underside of the exhaust and it's all locktited up!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page