oil wrestling - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 1jzsupra

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-09-2020, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
oil wrestling

What did I do to my Duke today..welled it onto the recover van trailer. Its going to the dealer

About 3 miles from home last night foot starts slipping on the gear shifter, got home and there was the distinct smell of oil then looked down and left boot dripping and there is oil all down the side stand, then see it all over the left side of the bike and dripping out the belly pan.
This morning there s no oil under the bike...because it is all in the drive, dammit! so recovery.

I wait to find out what went pop.

My Garage;
2018 KTM Duke 390; ADOS (active duty op support)
2018 Ducati SuperSport, R&R (Weekend Warrior)
2014 Kawasaki Z800, ADOS (active duty op support) WIA (wounded In Action)

Old Garage
Honda CBR650F, Kawasaki ER6N, Honda CBR500, Honda CB125, Honda CB400N,Susuki GS450,Yamaha MR50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-09-2020, 07:07 PM

Garage
Bump.

Yes, please keep us apprised of any developments.

post #3 of 6 Old 01-10-2020, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
the Oil Sensor ..Oil Sending unit was also mentioned, at same time I am getting the dealer to submit a request to replace the switch gear, it does not always initiate the left turn signal.

My Garage;

Old Garage
Honda CBR650F, Kawasaki ER6N, Honda CBR500, Honda CB125, Honda CB400N,Susuki GS450,Yamaha MR50

post #4 of 6 Old 01-10-2020, 04:27 PM

Garage
huH! guess I'll be adding a spare oil pressure switch to my toolbox, for sure. Thanks for the heads up.

And ya' know -- that's funny, in a way -- because I had a thermostat housing fail (split/leak) on my 2019, but I only had about 3 months/1000 miles on it. Already had one in my box tho, because I had [that feeling?].

So, from your relaxed demeanor about the situation, I'm assuming no engine damage?

post #5 of 6 Old 01-12-2020, 02:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeofSeven View Post
huH! guess I'll be adding a spare oil pressure switch to my toolbox, for sure. Thanks for the heads up.

And ya' know -- that's funny, in a way -- because I had a thermostat housing fail (split/leak) on my 2019, but I only had about 3 months/1000 miles on it. Already had one in my box tho, because I had [that feeling?].

So, from your relaxed demeanor about the situation, I'm assuming no engine damage?
Is there oil still in the bike or did you dump it all? When you pull your filters check for chunks of metal. You could dump the remaining oil and send it off to get analyzed, this will tell you if it appears to have bearing damage.

The part that would get damaged first is the cam seats, the cams have journals that are lubricated with a film of oil... And being that it is the farthest from the source of oil it is the first to loose lubrication when you loose all your oil. If you don't see a gold miners pan or a sheen in the oil when you dump it then chances are you are still good.
DukeofSeven likes this.

-2016 KTM 390 Duke-
post #6 of 6 Old 01-13-2020, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeofSeven View Post

I hope so, the dealer has the bike and it is still in warranty, so I am guessing there isn't any damage or they would be fixing it, but then again....what does concern me is that this the 2nd component to fail before even reaching the 4500 mile service.

My Garage;

Old Garage

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page