Duke 390 Adventure Transformation - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 02-11-2015, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Duke 390 Adventure Transformation

Hello fellow KTM owners,

Tired of waiting for the KTM 390 Adventure, I ended up purchasing a KTM Duke 390 and am now getting ready to transform it into an Adventure style motorcycle, to the best of my ability. I hear that some have already gone down this path and I'm hoping to learn from them instead of reinventing the wheel. Here is a list of what I want to do:

1) Raise front shocks by 5 to 6 inches
2) Remove gear shift linkage and move gear shifter to control the gear shift shaft directly. This will move the left front foot peg forward by 3 to 4 inches and downwards by an inch.
3) Make corresponding change to right side foot peg and brake

The idea is to alter the riding position from leaning forward to sitting upright. These are my initial thoughts and I'm wide open to suggestions on better ways to achieve my objective. I have some other modifications in mind, but I want to first get this crucial piece of the puzzle right.

If any of you could point me to people who have done or can do stuff like this, any off-the-shelf parts that I can buy and use, any other information or anything that can help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Deelip Menezes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Royal Enfield Thunderbird 350
2013 Harley-Davidson Fat Boy
2015 KTM Duke 390 (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-11-2015, 05:50 AM

"1) Raise front shocks by 5 to 6 inches
2) Remove gear shift linkage and move gear shifter to control the gear shift shaft directly. This will move the left front foot peg forward by 3 to 4 inches and downwards by an inch.
3) Make corresponding change to right side foot peg and brake

The idea is to alter the riding position from leaning forward to sitting upright."

In answer

1) you won't be able to do that, even if you did the handling would be awful at best and down right dangerous at worst.

2) & 3) there's no need to, the 390 has an upright stance already, it's no superbike. You'd be better off leaning the handlebars towards you a bit or buying some handlebar risers to make the reach to the bars a bit more comfortable.

Then you're onto things such as bigger screens, panniers, top boxes etc., some of which is covered in my thread (link below). You might want to look at upgrading your rear shock as well as the standard one fitted is exceptionally basic and doesn't have much of a shelf life.

Here's my 390
post #3 of 23 Old 02-11-2015, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HedsKatoom View Post
you won't be able to do that, even if you did the handling would be awful at best and down right dangerous at worst.
Thanks for your feedback. I've ridden adventure bikes with long front forks and I found no problem handling them. I know its not exactly the same thing. But have you actually ridden a 390 with a raised fork?

In any case, for me this is one expensive big experiment. :-) If it doesn't work out, or I don't feel comfortable, I'd turn the bike back to stock and either keep it or get rid of it.

Deelip Menezes

2015 KTM Duke 390 (

post #4 of 23 Old 02-11-2015, 07:38 AM

You're comparing the merits of a bike with long forks as it was designed to be with a bike who's handling your going to ruin?

If you've already got a motorbike, why not raise and then lower your forks by 10mm and report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deelip View Post
Thanks for your feedback. I've ridden adventure bikes with long front forks and I found no problem handling them. I know its not exactly the same thing. But have you actually ridden a 390 with a raised fork?

In any case, for me this is one expensive big experiment. :-) If it doesn't work out, or I don't feel comfortable, I'd turn the bike back to stock and either keep it or get rid of it.
post #5 of 23 Old 02-11-2015, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Yes, I intend to do this in a gradual manner. First raise the fork, ride it a bit and take a decision to undo or move to the next step. It's going to be an interesting project. :-)

Deelip Menezes

2015 KTM Duke 390 (

post #6 of 23 Old 02-11-2015, 01:18 PM

This is my very own version of an adventure D390. It has already a pretty upright position. However you may find your legs positioned too backwards which is uncomfortable in longer rides.

Given the tires, the fuel autonomy and legs ergonomy this is not an adventure bike, but if you're an urban rider who eventually go for short rides to the country side it's enough.
post #7 of 23 Old 02-11-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
This is my very own version of an adventure D390. It has already a pretty upright position. However you may find your legs positioned too backwards which is uncomfortable in longer rides.

Given the tires, the fuel autonomy and legs ergonomy this is not an adventure bike, but if you're an urban rider who eventually go for short rides to the country side it's enough.
Looks like you really put that duke to work

post #8 of 23 Old 02-11-2015, 05:54 PM

Jousting from these pics, it could be as simple as adding some chunky tyres, or as complex as fitting new forks and rear shock, one wheel, tyres, footpegs and maybe handlebars.

I believe the front end on the bike pictured came from a KTM 450 EXC.

bm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	black duke.jpg
Views:	12097
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	4449   Click image for larger version

Name:	10527830_591702237617731_9013289714027977964_n.jpg
Views:	74053
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	4457  
sandy mary likes this.
post #9 of 23 Old 02-11-2015, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Here are my options for raising the handlebar

1) Swap the fork for a longer one
2) Add a handlebar riser
3) Swap the handlebar for a deeper one

The smart thing maybe to do a little bit of all three. However, pretty soon I'll start hitting the limits of the clutch, accelerator, speedometer cables.

Deelip Menezes

2015 KTM Duke 390 (

post #10 of 23 Old 02-14-2015, 07:46 PM

i like that black and orange one badger...

do keep us posted on the project...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page