390 Adventure Bike - Page 3 - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 Old 06-27-2015, 11:54 AM
Luc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshankhank View Post
Having ridden the 390 halfway across the country I can attest to it having enough gusto to make a long trip without too much drama. Imagine taking the Trans-American Trail on one of these...
Also thinking of doing a very long trip on mine. Only downside I've seen so far is the numb feet and hands at various rpm ranges.

How has that been working out for you?

I'm actually thinking of having prototype footpegs done with a very soft Duro of polyurethane rubber molded on the original footpegs. I've got a local supplier that could help me do that. I will post If I ever get to doing this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 Old 06-27-2015, 04:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Well I guess since the Dakar rally rules allow for no larger than 450cc engines, maybe that's heavy enough? I see no reason they couldn't do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malJohann View Post
Plenty of guys on advrider.com that want a lightweight adventure bike. Given the choice, no one wants to struggle with an 800cc beast in the rough stuff.
Who knows.

At the end of the day, KTM will do what's most financially viable.
Whether that's building a new 390 Adventure using a couple of old Duke parts or building a 600-800 Adventure using the new/upcoming 600-800 KTM bike parts.

That's IF they want to add competition to their current big Adventure bikes.

Whichever they go with (that's still a big IF), I'll still be interested.

Holding out hope as I would have bought the GS 650 already.
malJohann likes this.

Last edited by StonehamDuke; 06-27-2015 at 04:36 PM.
post #23 of 31 Old 07-14-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
Also thinking of doing a very long trip on mine. Only downside I've seen so far is the numb feet and hands at various rpm ranges.

How has that been working out for you?

I'm actually thinking of having prototype footpegs done with a very soft Duro of polyurethane rubber molded on the original footpegs. I've got a local supplier that could help me do that. I will post If I ever get to doing this.
look up 'versimold' on amazon.com. good stuff, buddy of mine did pegs for his 74 Norton with that stuff. Ive used if for various rubber bits here and there. just .02

I Donut, therefore, I am.

post #24 of 31 Old 07-14-2015, 05:35 PM
Luc

Thanks for the info! Will probably order some for various other uses... But in this case, my supplier is going to actually make a mold out of the original foot peg and use that to re-pour the soft urethane back in... In the end, it will look a whole lot better than if I tried doing it with this product ;-)
post #25 of 31 Old 08-22-2015, 05:19 AM

A 390 Adventure makes no sense whatsoever. The engine is just not designed nor build for long distance trips. Sure, it'll probably be able to do 600 miles per day without much drama sitting at 70mph but the whole point of an Adventure bike is that it will do it comfortably and with ease. Not to mention the additional weight of all the Adventure "additions"

A 390 Adventure would definitely not be in direct competition to the "real" Adventure bikes, they'd be two completely different bikes aimed at completely different markets.

However, a 390 Enduro would make absolutely perfect sense. It'll still be a road legal dual purpose bike effectively so won't be anywhere near as race ready as KTM's proper MX/Enduro machines but it'll be a superb every day bike for green laning/commuting/having a bit of fun.

If the price was very similar to the Duke 390, then the Enduro 390 would make waves! It would compete with Honda CRF250L and Kawasaki KLX250, but would and should be a much better bike with lots more power on hand. GasGas EL CAMI 250 would also be a consideration but they don't seem to be pushing it in a big way.

Apart from the Honda/Kawasaki (which are a bit underpowered) there are no good dual purpose bikes out there (<600cc) which new riders may like especially to adhere to A2 licences. KTM should jump on the Enduro 390, and also the SMC 390 as they'd share almost all parts except wheels / suspension differences.

I would buy a 390 Enduro in a heartbeat and keep the Duke 390, but a 390 Adventure? ... definitely not! Would have to sell the Duke and buy the 690 Enduro R.
Rural and advMike42 like this.

Last edited by Kevin Pugh; 08-22-2015 at 05:24 AM.
post #26 of 31 Old 01-11-2016, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Well I visited the KTM booth at the IMS in Miami this past weekend, and despite my pleas they are telling me the soonest we would see an adventure based 390 bike would be MY2018. Next up for the 390 platform is an enduro bike (so there you go Kevin), then the Adventure. That's fine, it'll give me more time to put more miles on the Duke and two more years will allow me to justify a new bike purchase with the wife.

Where are all the craftsmen gone?
post #27 of 31 Old 01-11-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Pugh View Post
A 390 Adventure makes no sense whatsoever. The engine is just not designed nor build for long distance trips. Sure, it'll probably be able to do 600 miles per day without much drama sitting at 70mph but the whole point of an Adventure bike is that it will do it comfortably and with ease. Not to mention the additional weight of all the Adventure "additions"

<snip>
Tell that to the 390 owner who rode his bike to the top of Khardung La, and took this pic. He is not alone, there are others who have "ADVed" their 390s.

A 500+ pound ADV is neither comfortable or easy to ride in true off-road conditions. Picking one up is the problem!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KTM 390 on Khardung La pass.jpg
Views:	4924
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	16745  
geordie_e likes this.

Lighter makes it righter!
post #28 of 31 Old 01-11-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Well I visited the KTM booth at the IMS in Miami this past weekend, and despite my pleas they are telling me the soonest we would see an adventure based 390 bike would be MY2018. Next up for the 390 platform is an enduro bike (so there you go Kevin), then the Adventure. That's fine, it'll give me more time to put more miles on the Duke and two more years will allow me to justify a new bike purchase with the wife.
Did they say when the enduro be available?
post #29 of 31 Old 06-01-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy49 View Post
Tell that to the 390 owner who rode his bike to the top of Khardung La, and took this pic. He is not alone, there are others who have "ADVed" their 390s.

A 500+ pound ADV is neither comfortable or easy to ride in true off-road conditions. Picking one up is the problem!
I agree - wife lovers her Adventure bike.

And, Yes, the big bikes can be a hand full.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016 Expo 11-XL.jpg
Views:	4288
Size:	315.8 KB
ID:	24393   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016 Expo 10-XL.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	290.8 KB
ID:	24401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocky Point 1-XL.jpg
Views:	823
Size:	347.4 KB
ID:	24409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocky Gap 2-X2.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	642.7 KB
ID:	24417  
advMike42 likes this.
post #30 of 31 Old 05-24-2017, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Pugh View Post

A 390 Adventure would definitely not be in direct competition to the "real" Adventure bikes, they'd be two completely different bikes aimed at completely different markets.

However, a 390 Enduro would make absolutely perfect sense. It'll still be a road legal dual purpose bike effectively so won't be anywhere near as race ready as KTM's proper MX/Enduro machines but it'll be a superb every day bike for green laning/commuting/having a bit of fun.

If the price was very similar to the Duke 390, then the Enduro 390 would make waves! It would compete with Honda CRF250L and Kawasaki KLX250, but would and should be a much better bike with lots more power on hand. GasGas EL CAMI 250 would also be a consideration but they don't seem to be pushing it in a big way.

Apart from the Honda/Kawasaki (which are a bit underpowered) there are no good dual purpose bikes out there (<600cc) which new riders may like especially to adhere to A2 licences. KTM should jump on the Enduro 390, and also the SMC 390 as they'd share almost all parts except wheels / suspension differences.

I would buy a 390 Enduro in a heartbeat and keep the Duke 390, but a 390 Adventure? ... definitely not! Would have to sell the Duke and buy the 690 Enduro R.
I did a 1200km ride a few months ago half of which was offroad on a duke 390. It was fukin orrible lol. My mate put me onto this 390 adventure bike as we were getting left for dead by Crossfire 250's in the rough and they are handy on the roads also.

I would LOVE ktm to bring out a 390 enduro r but they just dont seem up for it?

Engine is good, just remapping and gearing changes and slotting into an enduro frame which they have an abundance of so why the delay??

C'mon KTM... sort this **** out. You have all the bits already so just swap n change a few pieces and get on it!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page