Small Adventure Bikes Era - Page 3 - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 21 Old 05-26-2017, 09:59 AM

I think it all depends on your definition of "adventure." There have been a number of bikes available for years which fit the all-purpose, go-anywhere model -- the venerable and basically bulletproof KLR650 comes to mind -- and even more 250 enduros which would be suitable for really gnarly adventuring, the type which only a very few hardy riders will attempt. I hate to be cynical, but this whole category seems to be an artificially created marketing campaign trend to take advantage of the fact that a lot of riders are moving to smaller-displacement rides and manufacturers want to expand their product line accordingly. But I think the first step for anyone considering an "adventure" bike is to think about the specific "adventures" they have in mind and choose accordingly. I'll bet that 90% of those trips could be made on any reasonably lightweight machine, including the Duquito. I've ridden some pretty sketchy unpaved roads in Mexico and the Himalayas, but the only rides where I really NEEDED really serious off-road capability have been on singletrack trails around here in the Sierra. And those I don't ride any more due to the lack of a partner in case of an emergency. But just for the sake of the discussion, how do y'all define a serious "adventure" ride? The forbidding Darien Gap, the civilized (and mostly boring) Alaska Highway, or something in between? My own mental picture which fits the definition is the Manali-Leh road in northern India, but my experience a few years ago riding up to the 18,380' Kardung-La Pass on a rented 150cc Yamaha persuades me that even that even rides at the far end of the adventure spectrum can be done on most any motorcycle.
Diploman and Vermontbob like this.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page