390 Adventure spied in public!!! - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 12-14-2016, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
390 Adventure spied in public!!!

Just going to leave this right here. Discuss and dream!!

From Rumor to Reality: Elusive KTM 390 Adventure Gets Spied - ADV Pulse

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
KTMasean and redbull like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-14-2016, 03:40 AM

Garage
390? No way ! If this is the KTM 390 engine we see on the pictures ... I'm Santa Claus .
bcutler2003 likes this.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-14-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimapa View Post
390? No way ! If this is the KTM 390 engine we see on the pictures ... I'm Santa Claus .
I guess you better start growing a beard .
Take a look at the front engine attachment and the cilinder . My gut feeling says these pictures are for real .
bcutler2003 and duke200 like this.

post #4 of 14 Old 12-14-2016, 10:20 AM

Garage
Could be a 390 but the clutch cover is very different from current production 390s.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-14-2016, 10:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultradoux View Post
I guess you better start growing a beard .
Take a look at the front engine attachment and the cilinder . My gut feeling says these pictures are for real .
Clutch cover and water pump are completely different from the 390 engine
post #6 of 14 Old 12-14-2016, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimapa View Post
Clutch cover and water pump are completely different from the 390 engine
But we are talking about a moto coming out in 2018 don't think they would be using the same motor from 2015 or 2016 in a prototype.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-14-2016, 11:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcutler2003 View Post
But we are talking about a moto coming out in 2018 don't think they would be using the same motor from 2015 or 2016 in a prototype.
Quite posible , even quite probably . Hence will it be called or even be a 390 as in the thread title ? The frame is completely different and the engine is not the 390 we know .
Both the Husqvarna 410's ( Vit & Svart pilen ) are not available yet but the engine's are identical except for badging and colour of the clutch and gearbox covers
post #8 of 14 Old 12-15-2016, 02:30 AM

since that prototype engine has nothing to do with the EXC 500/450/350 engine, i can assume that this is a 390 engine with hydraulic clutch and larger coolant pump. I am sure that this is a 390 engine, because they say that ktm tets for 2 years now a small adventure bike.

After all if someone wants to make an adventure bike with the 390 engine capable for serious off roading, its obvious that he must use larger coolant pipe and radiator.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-15-2016, 09:53 AM

Location: Murrysville, PA, USA. A pleasant, wooded suburb of Pittsburgh.
This looks much more serious than anything we have seen thus far in terms of a 390 Enduro/Adventure. It has all the requisite parts. It would appear that KTM has finally grasped the message that there is a significant potential market for a lightweight <400cc off-road capable bike. Perhaps the entry into this market of several other manufacturers has spurred KTM into action after several years of procrastination and teasing.

One interesting feature of the bike shown here is the tower (carbon, apparently) upon which the instrument cluster is mounted, raised above the handlebars to be closer to the rider and require less of a downward angle eye movement to view. This is something of a lower-tech approximation of the Heads-Up-Display (HUD) long found in aircraft and recently appearing in some luxury cars. Intelligent feature, I hope this makes it into production.

The revised engine cases on this prototype may well be the harbinger of a refreshed 390 engine we will see in the next 1-2 model years.

Just as the <400 class of street bikes has heated up in a major fashion over the last several years, that boom now seems to be extending to the offroad/dual sport category. It would be interesting if KTM would offer this bike in both lower-priced Enduro and better-equipped Full-Monty Adventure versions, as Ducati has done with the Scrambler and (recently-unveiled) Scrambler Desert Sled variants.
superiorstan likes this.

Cheers, Will

"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else."
--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II cafe racer
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000
post #10 of 14 Old 12-15-2016, 09:53 AM

What's interesting about the article is that it references small-displacement "adventure" bikes being considered by several other companies. I thought I was one of a kind in downsizing from a BMW R1150 GS to a 650 V-Strom and then to the Duke. It now appears as if the idea of smaller, more agile bikes is catching on.

I hate it when a trend catches up to me. Now I have to look for new heresies to explore.
Diploman and superiorstan like this.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page