6Likes
  • 1 Post By properperson
  • 4 Post By Diploman
  • 1 Post By G19Tony

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-06-2016, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quality control?

Needing (well, wanting) some crash bars for the bike I ordered the KTM factory product, thinking it may be better quality or at least better fitting than the Chinese eBay goods. Color me surprised. The first thing I noticed was a bit of welding slag on one of the brackets, which impeded the bolt from sliding slide through freely. OK, a little hammer persuasion took care of that. But then when I was trying to get the bolt into the threaded bottom right side bracket I found that under no amount of manipulation would the bolt start into the threads. I spent quite a bit of time (and long-dormant GI vocabulary) trying to get it started, but finally had to put the right side bar into a vise and basically force the bolt into it with considerable torque. I was essentially modifying the threads to better fit the hardened steel bolt. After chasing the threads this way in and out a few times it was possible to put the bars back on the bike and actually get the bolt started on the threads and snug it down.

My supposition is that the tap used to create the threads on the bracket end was probably worn down to the point where the threads were too tight for the bolt. But an even more vexing question is why they bothered to thread the bracket end at all rather than simply securing it with a nut on the end of a slightly longer bolt. At one point I considered drilling out the threads and doing just that with a longer bolt from the hardware store. I probably should have.

I assume that this is a bit of Indian engineering, but it's somewhat surprising that the Austrian mother ship doesn't keep a closer watch on quality. Anyway, if someone else gets these crash bars it's probably worth your time to make sure the bolt starts and fits properly into its threaded seat on the front lower fitting of the right side bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-06-2016, 12:36 PM

i bought mine locally, not from KTM dealers....

Similar problem the bolt on one of the crash bungs wouldn't go in.....

on closer examination a piece of v thin wire had been fused onto the thread....

Half an hours fiddling with a set of long nose pliers managed to remove it and the bung finally went on....

The problem for me was the colour match to the frame - whilst it wasn't bad, it wasn't exactly the same and this niggled me...

In the end got them sprayed metallic gunmetal to match the swinging arm....

Pleased with the result and its not "same same" as everyone elses.....
The Mariner likes this.

Last edited by properperson; 11-23-2016 at 04:19 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-06-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebet View Post
I assume that this is a bit of Indian engineering, but it's somewhat surprising that the Austrian mother ship doesn't keep a closer watch on quality. Anyway, if someone else gets these crash bars it's probably worth your time to make sure the bolt starts and fits properly into its threaded seat on the front lower fitting of the right side bar.
Yep, I'd make the same assumption too, and yes, the colour match is crap as well. But that's what these forums are about, we all contribute and voice our build issues and vote with our feet, hence why I've some KTM aftermarket parts and some from elsewhere which are better made and cheaper still that the KTM equivalent.

BTW if you're not happy with something you're quite within your rights to return them 9well, you are depending on where you are in the world and what your consumer rights are).

post #4 of 7 Old 10-06-2016, 05:56 PM

Location: Murrysville, PA, USA. A pleasant, wooded suburb of Pittsburgh.
I don't think there is any strong reason to assume that the KTM-branded crash bars are actually made in India. In a globalized economy, and in view of the low-tech nature of this part, the lowest bidder/cheapest source might be in Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Mexico or even China. Or almost anywhere that can make these things very cheaply. The emerging industrial countries such as India often find lower-tech, really basic parts outsourced farther down the food chain, where labor and overhead costs are even lower. India, we should not forget, is one of the Big Three Emerging Economies (Brazil, India, China) and has a space program, a nuclear arsenal, a huge auto industry, and manufactures Dukes.

Cheers, Will

"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else."
--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II cafe racer
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000
post #5 of 7 Old 10-06-2016, 06:00 PM

Wherever they're made, the quality isn't up to par.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-06-2016, 06:16 PM

Location: Murrysville, PA, USA. A pleasant, wooded suburb of Pittsburgh.
True enough. That's why SW Motech bars are so attractive. Built like a tank. Precise fit.

Cheers, Will

"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else."
--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II cafe racer
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000
post #7 of 7 Old 10-06-2016, 08:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diploman View Post
True enough. That's why SW Motech bars are so attractive. Built like a tank. Precise fit.
Yep. I'm happy with my SW Motech crash bars and rear rack. It made accomodating my TRAX top case very easy. I just received the OEM side bag holders. I'm going to bid on the bags later today. I think that will be a good combination for me.
Diploman likes this.

My garage makes me happy.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Honda CT70
Honda Grom
KTM 390 Duke

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page