Getting the Duke on Track - Page 2 - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 Old 02-14-2017, 11:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roflcopter View Post
My foot pegs on the ground basically through every corner as it was, from a few other photos I have I just don't like the idea of losing clearance on the case, scraping pegs won't lead to a fall, hitting the case definitely will.
As they fold , however the Duke 390 brake pedal and gear lever don't and these will again hit the surface before the covers . @Diploman converted both of these using CNC'd levers from Ebay and fitted folding toe pegs ( Woodcraft ) onto them .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 Old 02-14-2017, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimapa View Post
As they fold , however the Duke 390 brake pedal and gear lever don't and these will again hit the surface before the covers . @Diploman converted both of these using CNC'd levers from Ebay and fitted folding toe pegs ( Woodcraft ) onto them .
I had seen that post, I think I'm going to attempt to do the same thing since the shift lever needs replacing now anyways. Has anyone laid the bike down with this setup yet? I'm still kind of worried about taking out that CNC'd piece if it lands on it... or messing up the mount since the arm is stronger.

All just thoughts to consider... I can't wait until I get it out on track again, I see this becoming a regular thing!
post #13 of 32 Old 02-14-2017, 07:54 PM

Garage
It's nice to see, that I'm not the only one that takes Duke to the track.

As for the crash protection equipment on my bike:
1) Crash bars
2) Front and rear crash pads
3) Aluminium handguards

And I've changed footpegs to the "racing" ones, as they give more clearance without changing whole rearsets. But I do consider changing them anyway in the future. ;P

As for clearance issues with crash bars - I had none.

Now to the actual crash protection, I've lowsided my Duke:
https://youtu.be/t7BNSOPWENY

Damage was minor:
- 2 crash pads to replace (the one on crash bars and the rear one)
- scrapped handguard
- scrapped passenger handle

I'm not sure, but the handlebar might be slightly bent and the left rearset is bent as well (not too much though).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Youtube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 32 Old 02-14-2017, 11:41 PM

I just have to say to the OP... Freakin nice riding skills, especially for your stated experience! Way to lay the knees down! I'm way impressed.
post #15 of 32 Old 02-15-2017, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
It's nice to see, that I'm not the only one that takes Duke to the track.

As for the crash protection equipment on my bike:
1) Crash bars
2) Front and rear crash pads
3) Aluminium handguards

And I've changed footpegs to the "racing" ones, as they give more clearance without changing whole rearsets. But I do consider changing them anyway in the future. ;P

As for clearance issues with crash bars - I had none.

Now to the actual crash protection, I've lowsided my Duke:
https://youtu.be/t7BNSOPWENY

Damage was minor:
- 2 crash pads to replace (the one on crash bars and the rear one)
- scrapped handguard
- scrapped passenger handle

I'm not sure, but the handlebar might be slightly bent and the left rearset is bent as well (not too much though).
Very nice! Mine was very similar to that but I stayed with the bike, and maybe a tad bit faster. I really like the idea of the R&G clutch cover, but they don't make one for the other side it seems... The crash bars just seem ugly to me. Which 'racing' foot pegs are you talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66chevelless511 View Post
I just have to say to the OP... Freakin nice riding skills, especially for your stated experience! Way to lay the knees down! I'm way impressed.
Thank you!
post #16 of 32 Old 02-15-2017, 12:03 PM

Garage
For the R&G covers, there are two shapes depending on model year.
post #17 of 32 Old 02-15-2017, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I was about to click purchase on some of the CNC Chinese shift/brake levers and do what Diploman did, but I found some KTM ones that have bolt on toe pieces and are forged(also come in black instead of gaudy anodized orange...), with shipping the Chinese ones are about $45, it would be $60 for the pair of KTM ones.

Here's the link: http://www.ktm-parts.com/9053493103333S.html

Anyone have any experience with these? Are they newer ones off of the new RC or Duke? I really like the adjustable distance they give on the toe mounting as well!
Diploman likes this.
post #18 of 32 Old 02-15-2017, 07:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
The crash bars just seem ugly to me. Which 'racing' foot pegs are you talking about?
I can agree, crash bars are somewhat suboptimal in the looks department. But I'm using Duke for track and gymkhana, so they make perfect sense for me. And they do not cause clearance issues (or at least I haven't experienced any yet).

Now onto the foot pegs: their part number is 901.03.940.044/33S (or 01S if you prefer silver ones). If you want to check out the difference in clearance there is a comparison at the beginning of my other video: https://youtu.be/s6MV10jtdbM

Youtube:

post #19 of 32 Old 02-15-2017, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
I can agree, crash bars are somewhat suboptimal in the looks department. But I'm using Duke for track and gymkhana, so they make perfect sense for me. And they do not cause clearance issues (or at least I haven't experienced any yet).

Now onto the foot pegs: their part number is 901.03.940.044/33S (or 01S if you prefer silver ones). If you want to check out the difference in clearance there is a comparison at the beginning of my other video: https://youtu.be/s6MV10jtdbM
Nice! Definitely looks like it adds a bit of clearance. Looking that those pegs it appears they do not have a replaceable wear tip on them like the stock ones do, am I just not seeing it?
post #20 of 32 Old 02-16-2017, 03:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Nice! Definitely looks like it adds a bit of clearance. Looking that those pegs it appears they do not have a replaceable wear tip on them like the stock ones do, am I just not seeing it?
These look very much like the ones that come with the Duke 2017 . They have 3 points to fix the peg to which would you use the most inward position cold give you more clearance .... unless you wear size 12 ...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page