Certificate of Conformity (COC) troubles (UK->EU export) - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 05-12-2017, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Question Certificate of Conformity (COC) troubles (UK->EU export)

Hi Guys,
I'm looking to export my beloved second-hand duke 390 from the UK to Germany, and need a Certificate of Conformity to register it there. So far so good, the original should be available from KTM free of charge - but here's the problem:
- KTM said they printed the original already and a duplicate is 100 (!) BUT
- It didn't come with the paperwork package for the bike that I received
- I phoned up the original dealer that sold it from new and he stated that it normally doesn't come with the bike but has to be requested from KTM
- I've written to both previous owners and neither have requested it, received it or ever heard from it. Which I believe, given that the paperwork I received with the bike is very detailed and seems to contain every little receipt.

I've contacted KTM again and the person at reception said these documents are printed right when the bike is registered. When I pointed out that this was inconsistent with the information the KTM dealer has given me and asked who receives the COC, she couldn't answer the question and stated that she would be "looking into the case". Over a week later I called again and was told that the case was still being passed around internally. Almost another week later I still haven't heard back from them, so I wanted to ask the UK guys here for some advice:

Did you received the COC with your dukes? Have you ever requested one?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-12-2017, 07:37 AM

Garage
I have one for mine.

>>READY TO RACE
post #3 of 12 Old 05-12-2017, 08:54 AM

Pay the money and get a duplicate. You'll be frigging around with KTM internals forever. KTM internal operations sucks a$$ in the worst way.
390DukeBraaap1 likes this.

2015 Speedy White one.
Mods: Bazzaz piggyback, MNNTHBX open airbox, K & N air filter, Werkes exhaust, R6 rear shock, PowerParts seats, G6 quick turn throttle, Spal fan, EI conversion, cheapo bar end mirrors and levers, Evotech tail tidy, Evotech spols and bobbins, R&G radiator guard, PowerParts chain guard, EBC HH pads.

post #4 of 12 Old 05-12-2017, 02:24 PM

Just checked - no COC with mine - bought it earlier this year, new from UK KTM dealer.
Is the v5 not enough? - it clearly states the Type Approval on there.
Else, annoying as it is, paying the 100 might be the less painful way forward as Hoover says
post #5 of 12 Old 05-15-2017, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the replies guys

@ivladoff - That's interesting, are you UK based?
@AndyB - You can bring the V5C and have a full we-will-check-everything-and-charge-you-an-arm-and-a-leg test when you register it, or you can also bring the COC and you'll just have to do a standard mot-equivalent.
@Hoover - I agree it's less work, but I don't like being charged a ridiculous amount of money for a printed sheet of paper, especially when it seems to be their fault that I don't have it in the first place. It feels like a complete rip-off

In addition, I'm not massively in a hurry, so I'll take it as an exercise to see how the company behaves. As this is my first KTM (already had Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda and BMW) it will certainly have an influence on whether or not I might get another KTM or Husqvarna in the future. If UK fails, I'll try and call Mattighofen. I want to know if KTM as a company are willing to sort out the issue or not.

Anyway, called again this morning and the person there now stuck to the point that they'd have to charge for a duplicate. But she couldn't even tell me what usually happens with the original - whether they come with the bike, are sent to the owner or get burned in a furnace. I should receive another call back later from them to clarify things.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-15-2017, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Ok, here's the final update from KTM UK:

The COC gets printed to register the bike and then gets destroyed (and I thought I was joking when I asked that question to the ktm guys).

As it is now destroyed, the only way to actually get the certificate is to order a duplicate - for 100... Will call up KTM headquarters to see if they're any help, but so far it's been a great customer service experience.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-15-2017, 12:38 PM

Garage
That's absurd! Why would they destroy it and then extort you out of your hard earned money...what a racket!!!

'16 KTM 390 Duke (WHITE)
Mods - Competition Werkes exhaust, Bazzaz, MNNTHBX intake cover w/ K&N, Evotech Performance tail tidy, ergo seat, pillion seat cover, touring windscreen, adjustable levers and KTM covers
post #8 of 12 Old 05-15-2017, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390DukeBraaap1 View Post
That's absurd! Why would they destroy it and then extort you out of your hard earned money...what a racket!!!
Their argument is that you don't need it in the UK and it would be too much of a hassle for them to store all the documents - however they couldn't answer why they don't just include it in the paperwork sent out with the bike or the owner's card. And they also couldn't give a good reason as to why it should cost 100 pounds to get a replacement for a document that is required by EU regulations and that they themselves destroyed.

I've sinced looked it up and these are the rules:
1. The manufacturer, in his capacity as the holder of an EC type-approval of a vehicle, shall deliver a certificate of conformity to accompany each vehicle, whether complete, incomplete or completed, that is manufactured in conformity with the approved vehicle type.
[...]
7. Without prejudice to the provisions of paragraph 1, the manufacturer may transmit data or information contained in the certificate of conformity by electronic mean to the registration authority of the Member State.

It seems like a rather liberal interpretations of "deliver a certificate of conformity to accompany each vehicle" Let's see what KTM Austria have to say about this.
varroa likes this.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-13-2018, 04:28 AM

So what was the end result?
post #10 of 12 Old 09-13-2018, 02:09 PM

Find someone with a certificate of conformity take a high quality photocopy problem solved . Only time I've received one of these certificates was with a Vertemati .

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page