Oil Grade - Page 3 - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 Old 09-30-2016, 02:26 AM

Garage
I ran both Motul 7100 and 300V on my bike . Both are good oils . I believe I will stick with the 300V for now .
LNICK likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 09-30-2016, 10:59 AM

I am a motul's fan so still using 300v factory 15w50.
Luis
post #23 of 27 Old 09-30-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12X View Post
How does anyone on here KNOW what the best oil is? All just supposition.
Exactly. It's not unlike the question of "best" tires or anything else related to the bike. We all bring our own perspective to this. Not to mention the fact that in my 40+ years of changing oil in cars, motorcycles, lawnmowers and outboard motors I have never encountered an example of engine damage related to lubrication failure when proper change intervals are observed -- in fact I have never even HEARD of such a thing. Use whatever brand you want as long as it meets recommended viscosity and API specs and you will be OK. (For wet clutches avoid friction modifiers, of course.)

That said, I generally choose Mobil1-- this chart shows why:
March 2013 - Test Results for AP

My thinking here is that modern engines tend to run pretty hot (the 390 in particular) so holding viscosity at higher temps seems to me to offer an advantage. As you can see from the chart Mobile1 outperforms most other synthetics in this regard at 100C.

Even so, I don't think it matters for anything more than my personal peace of mind.

post #24 of 27 Old 09-30-2016, 02:29 PM

racing engines that have a lot of heat load (such as the 390), lift up the oil temperature at 120+ Celsius (248F), espesially in long endurance or traffic. The extreme heat at the uper crankcase can cause (the least) gasket failure, and commonely rod cracking.

I have built meny N/A to turbochargarged engines, and i can tell you that the good quality oil not only keeps lower temperatures, but also keeps the viscocity at safe levels, even if the oil temparature is 248F.

Spare money to everything else but engine oil. It will keep you out from expensive repairs.
post #25 of 27 Old 05-28-2018, 02:35 AM

Garage
An interesting read on motorcycle oil classification.
https://www.oilspecifications.org/ar...MA_JASO_MB.php
post #26 of 27 Old 10-26-2018, 08:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to maverick9611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebet View Post
Exactly. It's not unlike the question of "best" tires or anything else related to the bike. We all bring our own perspective to this. Not to mention the fact that in my 40+ years of changing oil in cars, motorcycles, lawnmowers and outboard motors I have never encountered an example of engine damage related to lubrication failure when proper change intervals are observed -- in fact I have never even HEARD of such a thing. Use whatever brand you want as long as it meets recommended viscosity and API specs and you will be OK. (For wet clutches avoid friction modifiers, of course.)

That said, I generally choose Mobil1-- this chart shows why:
March 2013 - Test Results for AP

My thinking here is that modern engines tend to run pretty hot (the 390 in particular) so holding viscosity at higher temps seems to me to offer an advantage. As you can see from the chart Mobile1 outperforms most other synthetics in this regard at 100C.

Even so, I don't think it matters for anything more than my personal peace of mind.
amsoil is just as good. been using it for years
here is a test in 2005 where amsoil beats mobil1
http://wpc.1c96.edgecastcdn.net/001C...ved/index.html
it all comes down to watcha like.
post #27 of 27 Old 10-28-2018, 02:11 AM

Garage
Engine oils

I do not think it comes down to what you like as there is no "one size fits all".
A remark such as "I've been using this for years" (unless it was in the same engine) doesn't hold up.
There have been researches on different brands and grades that seem to "work" better on specific engines.
Some oils make gear shifting more smooth than others, some oils take longer to sink back to the sump after switching off the engine etc.
In my race days, I came to the conclusion that Quacker State was the best oil I found for my Lancia 1.3 HF performance engine over any oils I had tried before in this engine.
In the 390 Duke I am now using Ipone Kantana (10W60) full synthetic that seems to perform better than the Swiss Motorex semi-synthetic that came standard (and I still use in my 200).

Last edited by KTMasean; 10-28-2018 at 02:17 AM. Reason: fine tuning

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page