What size ramp to load Duke in '19 Ridgeline? - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By zippy49

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-08-2018, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
What size ramp to load Duke in '19 Ridgeline?

Hi guys. I recently bought a 2019 Honda Ridgeline to go with my '17 KTM Duke 390 I bought in April.

The Ridgeline's bed is a bit high at 36" (I mean, not jacked up truck high or anything).

How long of a ramp would you buy to load this 360 lb. beast in the back of the truck?

I'm looking at the folding motorcycle ramps. The bed is 5'4" long with the tailgate up. So, I'd be looking at an 8-10 foot foldable ramp at the most.

I'm concerned that an 8 foot might be too steep. I'm only 5'7" and 160 lbs. My other concern is if the skid plate will clear as it goes into the bed.

This is what I was looking at.

Black Widow AFL-9012 Ramp (Folding Motorcycle),1 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MXUCXS..._HM9UBbFHTN5G6

I would get 2, 1 for the bike and another for me to walk up.

I dont have a trailer and just wanted to know if this would be feasible. I generally ride the bike wherever I want to go, but it would be nice to be able to put it in the back, to take it for maintenance or on vacation.

Thanks for any advice!

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-10-2018, 08:23 AM

I used this exact same ramp when i initially picked up my 2017 390 and used it a couple times since with no issues. The truck i was using is a 2011 Nissan Frontier Pro4x with a 3" spacer lift. I have a short bed as well and leave the tailgate down to fit the bike in and just strap her down. With some skills you can load and unload in solo but id advise to have an extra set of hands it just make things safer.

"Burn Rubber, Not Your Soul, Baby." ~Smoke

Last edited by DuffMan757; 10-10-2018 at 08:29 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-10-2018, 08:26 AM

Here some photos i had for reference. Sorry i don't have any photos of the actual ramp load/unload process.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	390 Truck.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	48323   Click image for larger version

Name:	390 Truck2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	48325  

post #4 of 9 Old 10-10-2018, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan757 View Post
Here some photos i had for reference. Sorry i don't have any photos of the actual ramp load/unload process.
Awesome, thank you! It looks like you used soft ties and ratchet straps. How many total did you use?

How many ramps did you have? I found this video on YouTube that shows a two ramp process and makes me feel much better about loading and unloading it solo.

https://youtu.be/TJN8kFYKmRk
post #5 of 9 Old 10-11-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Joe View Post
Awesome, thank you! It looks like you used soft ties and ratchet straps. How many total did you use?

How many ramps did you have? I found this video on YouTube that shows a two ramp process and makes me feel much better about loading and unloading it solo.

https://youtu.be/TJN8kFYKmRk

Yupp orange ratcheting soft ties to match the bike :-) .. purchased on amazon. I used 4 in total to secure the bike down mounted on the front forks and rear passenger pegs. My truck has a utility track system along the side of the bed so i was able to install eye bolts to that for mounting point for the straps. I just use one ramp so it works best with two people on each side of the bike to get her loaded/unloaded. When loading i have the engine running and use the throttle to get up the ramp. If you opt to get a second ramp it would be a lot safer to load/unload solo just because you will have something to stand on that level with the other ramp. With how light the bike is it really easy to hold the weight and keep it from tipping over but be sure to have good throttle/clutch/brake control ...you don't want the bike to get away from you.

post #6 of 9 Old 10-11-2018, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
[/QUOTE] Yupp orange ratcheting soft ties to match the bike 🙂 .. purchased on amazon. I used 4 in total to secure the bike down mounted on the front forks and rear passenger pegs. My truck has a utility track system along the side of the bed so i was able to install eye bolts to that for mounting point for the straps. I just use one ramp so it works best with two people on each side of the bike to get her loaded/unloaded. When loading i have the engine running and use the throttle to get up the ramp. If you opt to get a second ramp it would be a lot safer to load/unload solo just because you will have something to stand on that level with the other ramp. With how light the bike is it really easy to hold the weight and keep it from tipping over but be sure to have good throttle/clutch/brake control ...you don't want the bike to get away from you.[/QUOTE]

I saw the colored ones online. I might go with those too. Yes, I am definitely going with two ramps, so I can walk up one alongside the bike, with the engine running and using clutch/throttle control. I've been riding for many years, so I'm comfortable with all that. I found out though that the ramps she used in the video were 10 feet long, not 8 feet.

My main concern is that the engine case/skid plate will clear at the top.

Maybe I'll try this with my CRF 230L and see how things go before trying the Duke. Worst case, I can return these for 10' long folding ramps if need be.

Thanks for the advice!
post #7 of 9 Old 10-13-2018, 02:49 PM

I saw a guy at a local trackday with a big Ducati twin on his Ridgeline. Looked pretty sketchy to me! A 390 would be much easier to load and unload. Right now I'm using a Cycle Gear folding ramp that is wide and arched. A bit heavy, though.

I have used Ancra straps and buttons for decades. Four per bike, except in my box trailer where I have a pair of Baxley front wheel chocks where two is enough. I run the front straps upside down so I can sit on the bike and pull them tight as I lean the bike back and forth.

And don't be tempted to try and ride it up there... Very Bad Things have happened when guys try that.
varroa likes this.

Lighter makes it righter!
post #8 of 9 Old 10-14-2018, 02:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy49 View Post
And don't be tempted to try and ride it up there... Very Bad Things have happened when guys try that.

Yeah, leave that sort of stuff to Rok Bagoros
post #9 of 9 Old 10-15-2018, 06:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy49 View Post

Naw, in the off-road world guys ride their MX bikes up the ramp all the time. Make sure to take video of your first attempts for us!

I use a hitch carrier when I have to transport my Duke. At the weight limit but it works well.

2018 390 Duke with knobbies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page