For Those With Overheating Concerns - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 12-03-2018, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
For Those With Overheating Concerns

So, I’m an MSF RiderCoach. For those outside the US, that means I teach the motorcycle licensing class here in the US (well, before I moved to California anyway).

As a general rule, the bikes used in the class are owned by the program, students generally don’t bring their own (except for more advanced classes). Anyone who’s taken the class knows the life the class bikes live is a very brutal one. On top of being crashed... a lot, these bike sit idling literally for hours over a weekend, and they generally never get over 20-25 mph.

Well I recently met another RiderCoach who told me they’re using some 390s in their program, and while the fans do run a lot, they’ve never had any overheat. In fact, they’re planning on adding a couple more to their fleet this year because the other instructors like them so much.

The bikes they’re using are either 2017s or 2018s, I’m not sure.

Anyway, for those concerned about sitting in a little traffic, that should put your mind at ease. It certainly put mine at ease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2018 Orange 390 DUKE
MSF RiderCoach

Last edited by 2WheelsGood; 12-03-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-03-2018, 08:41 PM

Garage
That’s good to know. A great sales pitch for KTM as well. That’s a big step up from the 125cc bikes they use to have.
post #3 of 23 Old 12-04-2018, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoilerV2 View Post
That’s good to know. A great sales pitch for KTM as well. That’s a big step up from the 125cc bikes they use to have.
Both of the programs I’ve worked for had Suzuki TU250s, and In one of the programs, we had a few of those 500cc Harleys.

I agree it’s great for KTM. Although only if the bikes are in good condition. I’ve recommended those TU250s to a few students as a first bike, but they’re always so trashed, students don’t get a good impression.
Brunske15 likes this.

2018 Orange 390 DUKE
MSF RiderCoach

post #4 of 23 Old 12-04-2018, 12:21 AM

Garage
I daily mine to work and I've never had any issues. In fact I've completed my BRC, BRC2, and ARC with mine and had zero issues the entire time.

Keep in mind that's with a SPAL fan and straight Engine ice at over 13000 miles so far.

-2016 KTM 390 Duke-

Last edited by 1jzsupra; 12-04-2018 at 12:23 AM.
post #5 of 23 Old 12-04-2018, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jzsupra View Post
In fact I've completed my BRC, BRC2, and ARC...

BRC2 and ARC I can see, but how’d you do a BRC on your own bike? Usually for BRCs, the program provides/requires their bikes.

And since you’re in California, you either took those classes a while ago, or you’re in the military as California doesn’t use the MSF program any longer. Which sucks because for me to keep teaching the public (which I’d like to do), I have to get recertified. Though I can still teach for the military.

2018 Orange 390 DUKE
MSF RiderCoach
post #6 of 23 Old 12-04-2018, 12:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelsGood View Post
BRC2 and ARC I can see, but how’d you do a BRC on your own bike? Usually for BRCs, the program provides/requires their bikes.

And since you’re in California, you either took those classes a while ago, or you’re in the military as California doesn’t use the MSF program any longer. Which sucks because for me to keep teaching the public (which I’d like to do), I have to get recertified. Though I can still teach for the military.

I'm military. Also for us they encourage us to bring out own bikes and will put you ahead of those that don't have their own. Even though MSF isn't used in California any more it's still mandatory for the Military. ALL of my vehicles are registered in Texas and I was even able to use it to get my license from Texas, all I had to do was send in my information and I was set.

-2016 KTM 390 Duke-
post #7 of 23 Old 12-04-2018, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jzsupra View Post
I'm military. Also for us they encourage us to bring out own bikes and will put you ahead of those that don't have their own. Even though MSF isn't used in California any more it's still mandatory for the Military. ALL of my vehicles are registered in Texas and I was even able to use it to get my license from Texas, all I had to do was send in my information and I was set.

What branch of the military? I had an offer to teach at Miramar. Almost did it, but I really like teaching the public. Though teaching the military is far easier. Soldiers are far better at following instructions.

2018 Orange 390 DUKE
MSF RiderCoach
post #8 of 23 Old 12-04-2018, 01:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
What branch of the military? I had an offer to teach at Miramar. Almost did it, but I really like teaching the public. Though teaching the military is far easier. Soldiers are far better at following instructions.

Navy, Submarine force to be exact.
2WheelsGood likes this.

-2016 KTM 390 Duke-
post #9 of 23 Old 12-04-2018, 02:16 AM

Garage
Cl

Quote:

At the East Miramar site? Former Camp Elliot. I was wondering what they were going to put in the spot when they tore down the old storage depot from WWII. Now MSF classes and the Provost Marshall road course are held there. If you do end up teaching there, I’ll stop by to say hi.
post #10 of 23 Old 12-04-2018, 07:32 AM

Thats interesting.

Unfortunately I thought I had dodged most of the serious issues. I have a 2017 Duke 390, 2,500 kms. Went in for 12 month service last weekend.

Today riding home from work (south east Qld, sub tropical), the engine overheated, all bars filled and big red warning across the TFT screen. Coolant was present but it appears the fan has broken. I managed to get home by stopping every so often to keep the engine temp normal.

So far I've had the screen replaced for moisture and the engine cutting out randomly. The list is starting to grow. Starting to think of an exit plan to something with a better reputation.

I'll create this post independently of this thread, I just saw overheating mentioned here.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page