First service - ayayay - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 04-02-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
First service - ayayay

Just dropped her of at the dealer I bought it for 620miles service.

Asked what they going to do... usual stuff like check fluids, oil and filter change, tighten some bolts...

Asked if the price of $200 includes the valve clearance check. They told me not necessary. Manager even told me that KTM moved that up to 9300miles now, as there were no problems.

I told them Im confused now, as I read that this is actually the most important part in the first service and all of what they described I could actually do myself.

Got home, pulled up owners and repair manual- and it clearly states one time Intervall for valve clearance check. Called KTM north Amerika to double check nothing has changed- they confirmed that it should be done.

Called my dealer to tell them the news for them - now waiting for an updated cost estimate (they told me it will take 3.5hrs for the check).

If anyone remembers- what yall paid for 1st service with valve clearance check and how long it took the dealer to do it - please post it for comparison. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 04-02-2019, 06:28 PM

Garage
Mine was around $320ish total if I remember correctly.
SickSadWorld likes this.
post #3 of 43 Old 04-02-2019, 11:57 PM

ummm, its right in the manual to do it at 1000km(620miles)

And EVERYONE I have seen that talks about it had all their valves tight, even very tight, especially the exhaust. That's bad, because if it gets too tight you will burn a valve.

mine is an '18 bought in Oct of 18. If yours is newer, than that, maybe they have changed it, but its clearly talked about in my manual, and its part of the service when the dealer prints out whats done at that service

it was just under $600 Canadian
SickSadWorld likes this.

'18 RC390
Delkevic Exhaust
Rapidbike Evo
pedals/levers
fully open airbox
weight removal
R6 rear shock
Hella H9

post #4 of 43 Old 04-03-2019, 02:47 AM

Had mine done at about 580 miles (and had to go back later to have the service light reset once I got over 620 miles). Total price GB 168.00. They checked the valves. Exhausts were fine, inlets a little tight and re-shimmed.

2017 model.

As an aside, they were an off-road only shop and this was the first time they had done a KTM road bike. But they are a registered KTM dealer and have all the necessary diagnostics and tools etc.. Bikesport NE in Newcastle-upon-Tyne (UK). Recommended. Took a few days though as they had to order the shims in.
SickSadWorld likes this.
post #5 of 43 Old 04-03-2019, 05:39 AM

Valve clearance.

Make sure they (if you go back) set the valve clearances to the latest updated values.
There was a post on this update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickSadWorld View Post
Just dropped her of at the dealer I bought it for 620miles service.

Asked what they going to do... usual stuff like check fluids, oil and filter change, tighten some bolts...

Asked if the price of $200 includes the valve clearance check. They told me not necessary. Manager even told me that KTM moved that up to 9300miles now, as there were no problems.

I told them Im confused now, as I read that this is actually the most important part in the first service and all of what they described I could actually do myself.

Got home, pulled up owners and repair manual- and it clearly states one time Intervall for valve clearance check. Called KTM north Amerika to double check nothing has changed- they confirmed that it should be done.

Called my dealer to tell them the news for them - now waiting for an updated cost estimate (they told me it will take 3.5hrs for the check).

If anyone remembers- what yall paid for 1st service with valve clearance check and how long it took the dealer to do it - please post it for comparison. Thx

SickSadWorld likes this.
post #6 of 43 Old 04-03-2019, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Found it. Thx

So far they havent even called me back with the new quote as promised. Reached out to another dealer for a price quote, also waiting for him to come back to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMasean View Post
Make sure they (if you go back) set the valve clearances to the latest updated values.

There was a post on this update.

KTMasean likes this.
post #7 of 43 Old 04-03-2019, 07:25 AM

I have been quoted UK200 for the first service on my 390 Duke so l doubt that includes checking valve clearances.
I will ask though, when l take it in.
SickSadWorld likes this.
post #8 of 43 Old 04-03-2019, 04:45 PM

Garage
I was disappointed that the dealership here in Halifax NS didn't do a headbolt torque check or a valve lash check. Service fee was still over $200 for essentially an oil change and check the marker on the boltheads (if they did, none were moved).

Now with 8000kms on it I asked for a valvelash check and the brakes checked, they were sticking on. I was told the brake calipers are not covered under warranty and then later that it was an abuse issue because I was driving it in winter. I mentioned I was following the "Winter Operation" tips in the owners manual. So a week later, to this, the service manager said "Well, I'll try calling KTM".

My problem is not with KTM, they don't even know about it...
SickSadWorld likes this.

2018 390 Duke with knobbies
post #9 of 43 Old 04-04-2019, 12:11 PM

just a note on this. Make sure you take your bike to a KTM dealer that is authorized for STREET bikes! There is a KTM dealer in my city but they ONLY can do DIRT BIKES!!! They were good enough to point it out and not take my money.

I am happy with the work done at the dealer an hour away mind you, but just make sure someone is not doing work they are not really any good at, nor are authorized for.
SickSadWorld likes this.

'18 RC390
Delkevic Exhaust
Rapidbike Evo
pedals/levers
fully open airbox
weight removal
R6 rear shock
Hella H9
post #10 of 43 Old 04-04-2019, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
They called back today... $600 for service as they said + valve clearance check/adjustment.

I let them do it this time, but will look for another dealer next time and shop around first.

This price is literally 12% of the price of a brand New one. Thats bonkers.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page