Exhaust/CAT delete...hoping to understand more - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 05-24-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Question Exhaust/CAT delete...hoping to understand more

Hey gang,

Im new to all of this. I took my stock exhaust off my 2018 Duke and it sounded amazing. I know there are lots of slip on exhaust solutions and I have seen the CAT deletes.

Generally speaking.... what are the pros/cons of each or both?

Could I just have someone fab a straight pipe to replace the stock exhaust? Do I wanna keep the cat? do I wanna remove the cat and keep the exhaust? What combo is going to screw with back pressure to the point of losing performance or even worse having issues with the bike running right?

What is ya'lls take on this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Delkevic-DE...nd!19602!US!-1

?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-28-2019, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Really? Im surprised no on has any insight to give or add. :*(
post #3 of 18 Old 05-29-2019, 01:29 AM

Garage
Iím sure many could contribute but Iím not sure I fancy attempting a comprehensive reply to such a global range of questions.
KTMasean likes this.

post #4 of 18 Old 05-29-2019, 01:47 AM

Garage
Exhaust/CAT delete...hoping to understand more

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingywon View Post
Hey gang,

Im new to all of this. I took my stock exhaust off my 2018 Duke and it sounded amazing. I know there are lots of slip on exhaust solutions and I have seen the CAT deletes.

Generally speaking.... what are the pros/cons of each or both?
Ok. Without knowing what you are trying to achieve, this is working in the dark. Iím going to assume itís mostly sound. If you want to know more about power then register with the RC390 forum and start reading.

Could I just have someone fab a straight pipe to replace the stock exhaust? Yes. It will be loud. Be prepared to buy a good piggyback and be prepared to spend money on tuning

Do I wanna keep the cat? Maybe. Removing it will make it louder

do I wanna remove the cat and keep the exhaust? What combo is going to screw with back pressure to the point of losing performance or even worse having issues with the bike running right? Too many possibilities here. The more you change the more you need to spend getting the bike running right. Iíd suggest you can probably safely get away with either a cat delete or a change of slip on without a piggyback but itís at your own risk

What is ya'lls take on this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Delkevic-DE...nd!19602!US!-1

They make some nice sounding exhausts. Canít comment on this one.
Hedgepig likes this.
post #5 of 18 Old 05-29-2019, 03:24 AM

I went with a Tyga header and secondhand Arrows GP Gun rear with Rapid bike EVO exclusive piggyback . No dyno test but seat of the pants says smoother bottom end more shove in mid range would probably pull higher gearing . With db killer out it is very loud even with it in I don't know how it could achieve road legal status ( it is eu stamped ). Back in the 50's my Dad and his mechanic would tune his mxer's a little at a time meticulously recording every small step until an engine failed then rebuild the engine and NOT taking the step that broke the motor his bikes usually out performed the works bikes .
post #6 of 18 Old 05-29-2019, 07:19 AM

The question is probably for the second gen Dukes of which I know nothing.
The first gen (from 2012 to 2016) has been played with to exhaustion, exhaust wise and the majority of the aftermarket (quality) exhausts all produced less power than the OEM one.
TYGA's RC set up (full system) gives a proven increase of power (one would expect this from a professional tuner) and I believe the OEM Akro plus Akro flash by KTM also improved the power marginally.
For the first gen, I don't know of any (quality) manufacturer that produced an exhaust making it better.
I have tried the Ixill Hyperflow and MIVV Ghibli and am back riding the OEM set-up (with a PowerTRONIC).
An often overlooked advantage of the first gen Dukes is in case of a drop to your right.
pingywon likes this.

As long as you are happy with what you ride.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 Old 05-29-2019, 09:59 PM

one of the biggest advantages of removing the cat and "tea kettle" resonator is weight. Those are very heavy in comparison to an s shaped pipe.

My Delkevic system saved in the neighbourhood of 16 lbs over the stock cat, resonator and muffler with piping.

'18 RC390
Delkevic Exhaust
Rapidbike Evo
pedals/levers
fully open airbox
weight removal
R6 rear shock
Hella H9
post #8 of 18 Old 07-07-2019, 09:41 AM

Hi I have been running the delkevic full system with no issues, after my 2nd service the Tec put another KTM map on my bike for free and made a huge difference to how it ride much smoother at lower rpm I have the system up for sale now as I just swapped my 390 for a Harley fat bob

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 18 Old 07-08-2019, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig johnson (craigj172) View Post
Hi I have been running the delkevic full system with no issues, after my 2nd service the Tec put another KTM map on my bike for free and made a huge difference to how it ride much smoother at lower rpm I have the system up for sale now as I just swapped my 390 for a Harley fat bob

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

Is that an older version or something?

The can looks very different than this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Delkevic-DE...n/173757451165
post #10 of 18 Old 07-08-2019, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John390 View Post
one of the biggest advantages of removing the cat and "tea kettle" resonator is weight. Those are very heavy in comparison to an s shaped pipe.

My Delkevic system saved in the neighbourhood of 16 lbs over the stock cat, resonator and muffler with piping.
Did you retune after the cat removal?

this listing says that you dont need to and I am curious about that

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Delkevic-DE...n/173757451165

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page