Is a lowering kit worth it? - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 06-09-2019, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Is a lowering kit worth it?

How difficult was the install? How big of difference does it make with the handling? Is it worth it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 06-09-2019, 04:47 AM

I assume you mean the KTM Powerparts lowering kit?
It lowers the bike about 3cm and makes no difference to the handling at all, as the front and rear are lowered the same amount.

I test rode a 2018 Duke with one fitted and it made quite a difference to how far l could get my feet down.

I bought the kit and it doesn’t look that difficult to fit, although you’d need to lift the bike under the engine in order to get the shock out.

In the end l never fitted the kit though. I was just back into biking and lacked confidence, however after 800 miles on the bike l’m happy to just put one foot down when l stop.

The kit is for sale if you decide you want one, but it’s for the 2017 onward bike.

Last edited by lightning; 06-09-2019 at 04:51 AM.
post #3 of 33 Old 06-09-2019, 01:51 PM

Looks like you have the 2015 Duke, this kit won’t be any use to you.

One good thing, the kit for pre-2007 is a fair bit cheaper

post #4 of 33 Old 06-22-2019, 01:09 PM

29" inseam here (I'm on a 2018).

I considered the kit, but I decided to just lower the shock preload first. That got me enough to make a big difference. I haven't lowered the front at all, but could certainly do so to match the rear. I'd say I got 1/2" to 3/4" from the preload adjustment. If I did the front to match, I'd have to do something about the side stand, because it would be too long. Just lowering the rear "should" have an impact on handling: slowing the steering a bit - but there was nothing noticeable.

I've ridden for years and always on "conventional" or "sport" style bikes, so seats are always high for me. I'm old, so just swinging my leg over that high seat is a bit of a pain, but actually riding it's fine. The light weight also makes it very easy to deal with. So, I'd try dropping the preload a bit and see if it helps before I'd go for the kit.
post #5 of 33 Old 06-22-2019, 02:32 PM

Garage
I have run the T-Rex lowering link for the rear, 45mm drop and I have RC390 internals in the forks. So forks are 125mm instead of 150mm travel, plus slid the tubes up by about 13mm (maximum possible on smooth section of fork), effectively 38mm lowered.

I touched the engine case down at a local track day which caused me to fall. I could have been further off the bike and avoided touching the engine down but I'm still learning optimum body position etc. I didn't think bike would touch down but it did and so I have since raised the bike back to stock height in rear, with front still at 25mm drop but fork tubes level with clamps again.

So, it will come down to your needs. For me, the lowering was for my wife, who hasn't actually ridden the bike still. I will reinstall the rear link if/when she wants to ride it as it does make a difference when stopped at a light -> more confidence with feet flatter on ground. But otherwise, if you don't need that, I would suggest it's worth it.

2016 Duke 390 - Lowered 45mm F&R with T-Rex Racing link and kickstand, YSS MZ506 shock, RC390 fork springs & custom spacers, DynoJet quickshifter and PCV, Gray Area KTM airbox, open lid, inverted K&N filter, Werkes pipe, TYGA header, 16T sprocket, 320mm Galfer rotor and HH pads, XHP50 LED headlight, Vizi-tec SupaBrake II, Renthal grips with HeatDemon heaters, lever guards, Ride It Moto levers, eBay sliders, rear spools and rearsets, DIY tail tidy, HD radiator, F&R shock guards, OBD2 dongle
post #6 of 33 Old 06-22-2019, 04:47 PM

The best way to lower the bike, if you want to, is to use the proper KTM kit.
As it lowers the front and rear by the same amount by the fitting of new (shock/fork springs) so maintaining the geometry of the bike
It also comes with a shorter side stand. If you want to lower it, don’t start dropping the forks in the yokes and winding off the preload, fit the proper kit.
post #7 of 33 Old 06-22-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
The best way to lower the bike, if you want to, is to use the proper KTM kit.
As it lowers the front and rear by the same amount by the fitting of n
ew (shock/fork springs) so maintaining the geometry of the bike
It also comes with a shorter side stand. If you want to lower it, don’t start dropping the forks in the yokes and winding off the preload, fit the proper kit.
Why?

Dropping (actually "raising") the forks and winding off preload will result in identical results as far as geometry, so why not? Especially as this will allow one to experiment with a lowered bike and see if that's what one really wants.
post #8 of 33 Old 06-23-2019, 06:10 AM

Well, you can’t raise the forks enough to maintain correct geometry after lowering the rear, so it will affect the handling.

And reducing the shock preload won’t give the same result as fitting a shorter spring.
post #9 of 33 Old 06-23-2019, 08:34 PM

Never use the preload to lower the bike. The correct setting will keep around 25 - 33% to extension and the rest to compression.
If you use the preload to lower in an specific situation the shock will reach the bottom of it.
Luis
varroa likes this.
post #10 of 33 Old 06-24-2019, 08:04 AM

Garage
Honest question: What are some scenarios in which one WOULD adjust the back shock? I mean it IS adjustable and even comes with the tool to do it. Im just trying to understand. Could it need to be adjusted for rider weight?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page