Booster Plug! - Page 2 - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 35 Old 10-10-2019, 08:25 PM

If you fit a booster plug are you then changing the air filter and opening up the to of the air box or just leaving those parts as standard?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 Old 10-11-2019, 03:36 AM
tbj

Garage
I left mine as was, didn't see the point to try to squeeze a few hp out of the bike, it's never going to be the fastest bike on the road anyway
But you could do that probably, I don't see any problem apart form that, at least over here (Norway), all mods influencing power output automatically deleted the warranty on the bike..

Husky Vitpilen 701 (again with a few mods
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #13 of 35 Old 10-11-2019, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jako999 View Post
If you fit a booster plug are you then changing the air filter and opening up the to of the air box or just leaving those parts as standard?
Standard. BP isnt meant to replace a power commander set up where you are trying to get more HP out the bike - it is meant to smooth out the low range choppiness. As other have said - it is a pretty simple device.
Whyzee and J W C like this.

post #14 of 35 Old 10-11-2019, 10:59 AM

Garage
I've just read there is a Bazzaz piggyback for the Duke now as well
pingywon likes this.

As long as you are happy with what you ride.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 35 Old 10-11-2019, 02:46 PM

I wasted thinking about more power, how this works is to make the bike think itís colder then it actually is therefore it adds more fuel at low revs basically it thinks it not up to temp yet a bit like having the choke still on. If the engine is up to temp and you put more fuel in it will produce more carbon deposits so I was just thinking would it not need more air to help rectify this problem?
Thanks
post #16 of 35 Old 10-11-2019, 04:14 PM

As I understand it, but happy to be corrected...
The BP has a temp probe attached to it which is measuring outside air temp and making the ECU think the air outside is colder, and therefore denser than in reality.
Denser air means more oxygen available and therefore more fuel needed to maintain the target ratio. The result is a mixture richer than the ECU intended, and smoother running at small throttle openings.
There are other sensors that report engine and coolant temperature to the ECU, so it's not trying to make the engine appear cooler, just the outside air.

If you open the airbox, then perhaps the BP is enough to prevent lean running when the throttle is wide open, but that's not the intended use and I wouldn't rely on it to make that sort of correction. With small throttle openings I would imagine the engine can get all the air it needs with a standard airbox.

As already mention in the thread somewhere I think, the AFR that emissions standards require is very lean. I don't think the extra fuel from the BP is likely to cause carbon build up.
duke200, tbj, Ede and 2 others like this.
post #17 of 35 Old 10-14-2019, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyB View Post
The BP has a temp probe attached to it which is measuring outside air temp and making the ECU think the air outside is colder, and therefore denser than in reality.
Denser air means more oxygen available and therefore more fuel needed to maintain the target ratio. The result is a mixture richer than the ECU intended, and smoother running at small throttle openings.
There are other sensors that report engine and coolant temperature to the ECU, so it's not trying to make the engine appear cooler, just the outside air.

If you open the airbox, then perhaps the BP is enough to prevent lean running when the throttle is wide open, but that's not the intended use and I wouldn't rely on it to make that sort of correction. With small throttle openings I would imagine the engine can get all the air it needs with a standard airbox.

As already mention in the thread somewhere I think, the AFR that emissions standards require is very lean. I don't think the extra fuel from the BP is likely to cause carbon build up.
This. Exactly This. Well said!
post #18 of 35 Old 11-15-2019, 11:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyB View Post

I 100% agree that it would be too much. I made a post a while back with some data that I logged and these bikes run lean. I was running a RBE as at the time and since then I have an open air box with a PCV and I have maxed the output of the injector and it is still running at 13.8 AFR wide open. So not only is it too much air, but the injector isn't really sized enough to fully respond to it either. I will say that 13.8 AFR at WOT is still not as bad as factory fueling at WOT.
DukeofSeven likes this.

-2016 KTM 390 Duke-
post #19 of 35 Old 11-17-2019, 07:23 AM

Well, l fitted the RBE to my 2019 Duke 390 and what l can say is, that

a/ the bike doesn’t feel any faster, but it won’t, RBE doesn’t claim BHP increase.

b/ it’s transformed at low RPM, will drive smoothly down to 2,000 in 1/2/3 without needing the clutch

c/ it uses a little more fuel, down from an indicated 73mpg to around 68mpg
d/ the unit is currently disconnected/module removed as my insurance didn’t want to know the bike with the unit fitted !!

e/ when my insurance is due in March l am going to find a company that will accept the bike with the module installed.

Last edited by lightning; 11-17-2019 at 07:25 AM.
post #20 of 35 Old 11-17-2019, 08:05 PM

Do they physically look your bike over/inspect it before issuing insurance?

This isnít my first rodeo, but it is the first one with real clowns...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page