Booster Plug! - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 10Likes
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Unread 10-05-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
pingywon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 149
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Talking Booster Plug!

I know a lot of you guys recommend RBE for our Dukes and im sure they are great!

I just recently received my Booster Plug from

https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/frontpage.html

Mannnnnn it totally transforms the bike!

no more lurching at low speed/gear and it feels like the bike generally pulls harder. I am loving it and I can personally recommend yall give it a look. It is one of the cheaper options out there and the owner wrote a mini book on fuel injection that waits until the end to turn into an advertisement for the BoosterPlug. Its free for download off the website. Its taught me somethings. Also worth the look and time to read.

I have NO affiliation with this company - just a happy customer.

Finally I will say I mistakenly bought the wrong booster plug off a forum member here back when I first got my 2018 Duke.

I DO have a PRE 2017 Booster Plug for sale if anyone is interested. It would save you some coin off the advertised price.
pingywon is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Unread 10-05-2019, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
pingywon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 149
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Here is a link to the one I have for sale. Retail price is $160.

I can do much better then that - someone please give this thing a good home. its amazing!

https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/boo...duke-636p.html
pingywon is online now  
post #3 of 16 Unread 10-05-2019, 01:33 PM
Senior Member
 
lightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 405
They both (BP and RBE) effectively do the same thing.
They trick the ECU into delivering more fuel. I prefer the way the RBE does it, which is by interrupting the data from the lambda probe in the exhaust and telling the ECU that the mixture is too lean.
Telling the ECU that the ambient air is colder, is more likely to cause over fuelling as it is likely to trigger the cold start enrichment program.
Where the RBE only makes the fuelling about 10% richer and is unaffected by changes in outside air temperatures
lightning is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 Unread 10-06-2019, 12:36 AM
Senior Member
 
KTMasean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Champasak province, Lao P.D.R.
Posts: 815
Garage
After reading up on the various systems out there I think the RB does a little more than bluntly increases the fuel injected by roughly 10%. This is effectively what the BP does by fooling the ECU that the outside temperature is an x degrees lower than it actually is (preventing you have put the temperature sensor of the BP in a correct position).
The RB measures various parameters and recalculates the values the Lambda sensor sends to the ECU and in this way varies the added amount of fuel depending on the required performance. The RB is a far more sophisticated device than the BP that does but one thing, measuring the ambient temperature and lowering this by a fixed amount of degrees. RB also claims it alters the fuel addition within the closed-loop, this is something other such units do not do. RB offers (I think) 3 different units that all basically do the same but have specific add-ons and accompanying pricing. Functionality-wise (to me) you can not compare the BP to the RB (hence the difference in price). The RB units will also be far safer than the BP as these consider various input parameters and adjust the fueling accordingly while the BP ONLY fools the ECU by lowering the ambient temperature.
Miguel Ferro and moazman like this.

As long as you are happy with what you ride.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by KTMasean; 10-06-2019 at 12:39 AM.
KTMasean is online now  
post #5 of 16 Unread 10-09-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
pingywon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 149
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMasean View Post
After reading up on the various systems out there I think the RB does a little more than bluntly increases the fuel injected by roughly 10%. This is effectively what the BP does by fooling the ECU that the outside temperature is an x degrees lower than it actually is (preventing you have put the temperature sensor of the BP in a correct position).
The RB measures various parameters and recalculates the values the Lambda sensor sends to the ECU and in this way varies the added amount of fuel depending on the required performance. The RB is a far more sophisticated device than the BP that does but one thing, measuring the ambient temperature and lowering this by a fixed amount of degrees. RB also claims it alters the fuel addition within the closed-loop, this is something other such units do not do. RB offers (I think) 3 different units that all basically do the same but have specific add-ons and accompanying pricing. Functionality-wise (to me) you can not compare the BP to the RB (hence the difference in price). The RB units will also be far safer than the BP as these consider various input parameters and adjust the fueling accordingly while the BP ONLY fools the ECU by lowering the ambient temperature.
I wholeheartedly disagree with you. There is no reason to mess with the Lambda sensor / closed loop operation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lambda.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	49535  
pingywon is online now  
post #6 of 16 Unread 10-09-2019, 04:37 PM
Member
 
moazman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 85
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingywon View Post
I wholeheartedly disagree with you. There is no reason to mess with the Lambda sensor / closed loop operation.


Have you read this: https://www.rapidbike.com/en/rapid-bike/technology/

It explains some of the limitations of the stock ecu and mapping
J W C and [email protected] like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moazman is online now  
post #7 of 16 Unread Yesterday, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
pingywon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 149
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moazman View Post
Have you read this: https://www.rapidbike.com/en/rapid-bike/technology/

It explains some of the limitations of the stock ecu and mapping
I have and I guess we both have to admit that both my quote and your link boil down to not much more then angled marketing hype. It just a matter of who you believe and what you want to buy at that point.

RBE is GREAt I am sure - I just dont agree with people dismissing the BP.
Mirius and J W C like this.
pingywon is online now  
post #8 of 16 Unread Yesterday, 08:27 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: South Africa - Western Cape
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingywon View Post
RBE is GREAt I am sure - I just dont agree with people dismissing the BP.

True! The BP and RBE will do much the same thing.... The BP is small and very easy to hide... however the BP has zero adjustability compared to the much larger RBE. Over here the BP is "expensive" for what is really inside the module. The RBE is more expensive but you get a little more "substance" and adjustability. In the end both devices do what they say to a certain degree. (I used a BP on my Ducati XDS and had an issue with the locked Bosch ECU - I then bought a RB Evo - roughly 6X the price of the BP.... never worked well on the Ducati...)
J W C is online now  
post #9 of 16 Unread Yesterday, 02:28 PM
Member
 
moazman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 85
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingywon View Post
I have and I guess we both have to admit that both my quote and your link boil down to not much more then angled marketing hype. It just a matter of who you believe and what you want to buy at that point.



RBE is GREAt I am sure - I just dont agree with people dismissing the BP.


The BP is defo marketing hype. Personally I won’t be buying either or any tuning module, because I’d rather spend the money on upgrading me as a rider

My issue with the BP comes from my memories of the car “tuning” boxes being sold for £50ish that were all the rage a few years ago claiming power increases etc which were just a resistor in a box. No doubt, the BP is a step up from that with the ambient temperature sensor, but in my eyes, all it does is make that resistor a variable potentiometer instead (this is even mentioned on their own website), which probably explains the size of the module lol

The fact that BP has the quote below on their website has made me write them off as a reputable company with a decent product, and I wouldn’t even consider giving them any money

Quote:
With the BoosterPlug you will have a better solution than the complicated and expensive Power Commander that is almost impossible to set up correctly.
What an absolute load of bollocks to compare their resistor to a renowned, legitimate, remappable piggyback ECU


The RB easy isn’t massively complex by the looks of it. The two trim adjusters give it an element of “resistor” type behaviour, but because the lambda signal is oscillating, it requires more processing. They’re enriching fuelling by altering something that measures the air fuel ratio directly, instead of messing with temperature sensor.

Anyway, if I was to get a tuning product it would be to gain power via remapping with supporting mods, and the choice would be Between power commander, powertronic, rapidbike evo.

I think it says a lot that Boosterplug don’t have any comparable products to the above


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moazman is online now  
post #10 of 16 Unread Yesterday, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
pingywon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 149
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moazman View Post
The BP is defo marketing hype. Personally I won’t be buying either or any tuning module, because I’d rather spend the money on upgrading me as a rider

My issue with the BP comes from my memories of the car “tuning” boxes being sold for £50ish that were all the rage a few years ago claiming power increases etc which were just a resistor in a box. No doubt, the BP is a step up from that with the ambient temperature sensor, but in my eyes, all it does is make that resistor a variable potentiometer instead (this is even mentioned on their own website), which probably explains the size of the module lol

The fact that BP has the quote below on their website has made me write them off as a reputable company with a decent product, and I wouldn’t even consider giving them any money



What an absolute load of bollocks to compare their resistor to a renowned, legitimate, remappable piggyback ECU


The RB easy isn’t massively complex by the looks of it. The two trim adjusters give it an element of “resistor” type behaviour, but because the lambda signal is oscillating, it requires more processing. They’re enriching fuelling by altering something that measures the air fuel ratio directly, instead of messing with temperature sensor.

Anyway, if I was to get a tuning product it would be to gain power via remapping with supporting mods, and the choice would be Between power commander, powertronic, rapidbike evo.

I think it says a lot that Boosterplug don’t have any comparable products to the above
I can say for 100% BP never claims HP gains. I would venture to say RBE doesn't make this claim either. You aren't comparing apples to apples as far as I can see.

Trying to tune your bike (something I have 0 interest in) vs. just trying to compensate for an OEM lean condition and remove the low speed shudder (something I am very interested in) are very different.

If I could go in with a screwdriver and manually adjust my AFR to make it richer with out any product at all I would. Short of that BP has more than met my need.

thank you for your opinion.
leon4282 likes this.

Last edited by pingywon; Yesterday at 03:04 PM.
pingywon is online now  
Reply

User Tag List




Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome