Duke 390 surging? - Page 2 - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 Old 10-08-2019, 12:26 PM

Garage
Trolling again and trying to put the frighteners on new members?

Thousands of gen 2 390ís out there. No huge wave of broken engines despite being run for several years.

That said, I do have my doubts about the engine failure of Whiskey. But all bikes have some failures.
KTMasean likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 Old 10-08-2019, 12:43 PM

I wholeheartedly disagree.
When an internal combustion engine runs excessively/extremely lean with an air to fuel ratio in the high 14’s it is borderline not running. Any leaner it will not run under load. Also it makes excessive heat! (Recall how some owners think the cure to fix their heating issue is a radiator cap with a higher pressure spring?).

When one simply corrects the air fuel ratio (richer in our case) and the engine runs smoother and cooler, it is a lean condition causing surging not gearing, riding style, rpm’s etc.

I promise that there is only one reason that manufacturers set these engines up so lean and that is to appease the EPA authorities

It takes a Troll to see a Troll.

This isnít my first rodeo, but it is the first one with real clowns...
post #13 of 32 Old 10-08-2019, 01:26 PM

I have no business here as regarding trolls or not - what I can say is that I bought a used 390 two months or so ago that had 4200km on the clock. It was bought new in March 2019 by a friend that suddenly decided to upgrade to a bigger bike. I befriended the KTM dealer during a few visits there. I think the message I have heard is that the 390 is NOT a very durable motor... made NOT in Austria but in India mainly for that market. It DOES NOT fall in the class of the Austrian made Superduke R. (I know KTM claims it checks the quality before shipping - but what quality are we talking here?)

I have started a thread a while back asking about the mileage of current 390's... but this not being a very active forum (it seems) I got little feed back - most 390's having done not high mileage. I read all the positives and negatives of the 390 here. Apart from being informative I have picked up a lot of tricks & tips (a lot from you Mirius) - so by so that I have decided to do interim oil changes on the 390 as it seems to me that having so little oil in a reasonably high performing engine needs more frequent oil changes....

Whyzee I agree with the (too) lean running of the current engines - that we have to "thank" Germany's Merkel ... not only harming the engine, take away power but also making it "unpleasant" to ride in the lower rpm range...

So far I am satisfied with the 390... but watching it carefully (and I do have the remainder of the warranty in tact).

post #14 of 32 Old 10-08-2019, 01:49 PM

Thank you Sir.
I also agree that you can do no harm in changing your oil more frequently than the manufacturer states.

I think Richard Cranium (Mirius) believes I am a troll simply because I disagree with his and others way of thinking (tuning). I don’t mind at all
J W C likes this.

post #15 of 32 Old 10-08-2019, 02:20 PM

OK back to the OP ‘s question

Fit a Rapid Bike Easy, it’s a simple fuelling box that costs under UK£150 with only one wire to connect.
It makes the bike run SLIGHTLY richer (5% according to the manufacturer) than the standard settings.
It connects to the exhaust lambda probe and tells the ECU that it’s running a bit too lean.

Fitting this transforms the bike at low RPM. It will drive smoothly down to 5mph in first 10mph in second and 15mph in third without using the clutch.

The fuel economy on my bike went from an indicated 73mpg to around 68mpg.

But it’s so much nicer to ride. I think there’s another manufacturer who makes a similar unit

Note it’s not a tuning box so won’t increase the BHP.

My bike is currently on around 1200 miles and is a joy to ride in slow moving traffic compared to what it was like before.
Whyzee and J W C like this.
post #16 of 32 Old 10-08-2019, 06:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyzee View Post

I think Richard Cranium (Mirius) believes I am a troll simply because I disagree with his and others way of thinking (tuning). I donít mind at all

I have no issues with differences in opinion and Iím not in disagreement regarding lean running

I think you are a troll because you made fun of someone merely because they didnít understand a technical term in English when it obviously wasnít their first language. The resorting to name calling just underlines your trolling behaviour.
KTMasean likes this.
post #17 of 32 Old 10-08-2019, 08:26 PM

LOL. The internet is tough
pingywon likes this.

post #18 of 32 Old 10-08-2019, 11:29 PM

Garage
lightning, you have changed your insurance then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
OK back to the OP Ďs question

Fit a Rapid Bike Easy, itís a simple fuelling box that costs under UK£150 with only one wire to connect.
It makes the bike run SLIGHTLY richer (5% according to the manufacturer) than the standard settings.
It connects to the exhaust lambda probe and tells the ECU that itís running a bit too lean.

Fitting this transforms the bike at low RPM. It will drive smoothly down to 5mph in first 10mph in second and 15mph in third without using the clutch.

The fuel economy on my bike went from an indicated 73mpg to around 68mpg.

But itís so much nicer to ride. I think thereís another manufacturer who makes a similar unit

Note itís not a tuning box so wonít increase the BHP.

My bike is currently on around 1200 miles and is a joy to ride in slow moving traffic compared to what it was like before.

As long as you are happy with what you ride.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 32 Old 10-09-2019, 04:35 AM

The insurance company thought l had fitted a Rapid Bike Evo

Which is a tuning box for more power. Where the Rapid Bike Easy doesn’t increase the BHP.
KTMasean and Mirius like this.
post #20 of 32 Old 10-09-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
Sadly the laws of physics rarely care about civility. All new bikes run just as lean but only the singles run lumpy. But that’s no real surprise as they ran lumpy long before there were any EPA regulations.

Yes, you can smooth it out with an aftermarket fuelling device which will dump in more fuel. But the real question is whether that is really a good idea or not. Aside from whether it’s civilised to dump additional emissions into the atmosphere.

Manufacturers don’t appear to have ever believed it’s a good idea else they would have done it back in the days before emissions regulations. They didn’t because it’s a bad idea. Riding at lows revs can damage the engine. It’s even a problem with VTwins - any Harley rider ought to be aware of the dangers of lugging an engine - Harley specifically advise riders against it.

The problem becomes worse the larger the engine gets. There is a reason you don’t see large singles much now and why the proposed 490 Duke is a twin.
It only takes about 5% richer mixture to smooth out the bike.
That’s not what l would call “dumping” in extra fuel.
Eventually emissions regulations will kill off the internal combustion engine, but that’s the idea l guess if we are to become carbon zero.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page