3Likes
  • 1 Post By KTMasean
  • 1 Post By KTMasean
  • 1 Post By Whyzee

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-07-2019, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Puddle of oil...

I wanted to take the 390 for a ride today.... I found a puddle of oil under the left front fork! At first I thought it was a brake (fluid) issue but after cleaning everything up and riding around the block it was clear that the left fork is leaking. The bike is 9 months old with 6300km on the clock - never rode dirty roads - always garaged!

I hope this will be covered under guarantee... Anyone else here that had a fork seal issue?? Regards!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-07-2019, 09:47 PM

Garage
I have replaced my fork seals on the first Gen 200 after about 40,000 km as the right one started to leak and wetting the brake pads with brake fluid.
This first, 2012, did not come with dust seals.
All good and make sure to bounce the front fork a couple of times before tightening the axle nut in order to align the fork legs correctly.
J W C likes this.

As long as you are happy with what you ride.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-07-2019, 10:14 PM

Garage
I opted to get the SKF seals (green) instead of the OEM seals but was told afterwards that KTM uses SKF seals as well
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SKF fork seal.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	49657  
J W C likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old 12-08-2019, 09:03 AM

Garage
I put on extra fork guards to help protect the lowers.

https://www.ktmduke390forum.com/foru...#/topics/17689

2016 Duke 390 - Lowered 45mm F&R with T-Rex Racing link and kickstand, YSS MZ506 shock, RC390 fork springs & custom spacers, DynoJet quickshifter and PCV, Gray Area KTM airbox, open lid, inverted K&N filter, Werkes pipe, TYGA header, 16T sprocket, 320mm Galfer rotor and HH pads, XHP50 LED headlight, Vizi-tec SupaBrake II, Renthal grips with HeatDemon heaters, lever guards, Ride It Moto levers, eBay sliders, rear spools and rearsets, DIY tail tidy, HD radiator, F&R shock guards, OBD2 dongle
post #5 of 9 Old 12-08-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMasean View Post
I have replaced my fork seals on the first Gen 200 after about 40,000 km as the right one started to leak and wetting the brake pads with brake fluid.
when the fork seals leak, as in your case, do they really wet the front brake pads with brake fluid???
I would have guessed that the pads would’ve been soaked with fork oil. But what do I know, right??
KTMasean likes this.

This isnít my first rodeo, but it is the first one with real clowns...
post #6 of 9 Old 12-08-2019, 11:10 PM

Garage
Man that sucks! I daily my 390 and so far I've done close to 30k with no issues to my fork seals. Hoping that holds up for a while.

-2016 KTM 390 Duke-
post #7 of 9 Old 12-09-2019, 08:54 AM

Hello,

I had to replace mine (2014) at about 15k km. At that moment I had sintered pads that got soaked with the leaking oil. Fortunately I've managed to recover them by burning this oil and sanding the surface.

RM
post #8 of 9 Old 12-09-2019, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The dealer says it WILL NOT be covered by the 2 yr guarantee... Has anyone here specs on the 2018/19 front forks?? Size of the seal? Amount of oil? Regards!!
post #9 of 9 Old 12-10-2019, 11:56 PM

Garage
You are 100% correct in pointing out my wrong statement and yes, I obviously should have written that it was the fork oil (from the left fork leg) soaking the brake pads, not any brake fluid.
Thank you for being so observant Whyzee, much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyzee View Post
when the fork seals leak, as in your case, do they really wet the front brake pads with brake fluid???
I would have guessed that the pads would’ve been soaked with fork oil. But what do I know, right??

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page