Is Anything Different About the 390 Duke in the First 600 Miles? - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Whyzee
  • 2 Post By Whiskey
  • 1 Post By pingywon
  • 2 Post By _Big_Mac_

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 12-09-2019, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Is Anything Different About the 390 Duke in the First 600 Miles?

I read this quote on another forum and wondered if it was true:

Quote:
Take one for a test ride! But, only if its past the 600 mile break in period...you can't get a true appreciation for the engine until you can ride it without being limited by the extra low rev-limiter during the break in procedure.

Does the bike behave differently after 600 miles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-09-2019, 02:44 PM

Not that I know of... I took a new 390 for a demo ride before I bought mine. I have now done nearly 7000km and I did not notice any difference over a period of time... nor did the dealer mention some "restriction" either....

Last edited by J W C; 12-09-2019 at 02:46 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-09-2019, 05:49 PM

Oh brother. It’s limited, by a rev limiter, to 6500-7000 rpms when the odometer is less than 620 miles.

Take one for a test ride! But, only if its past the 600 mile break in period...you can't get a true appreciation for the engine until you can ride it without being limited by the extra low rev-limiter during the break in procedure.
Hedgepig likes this.

This isnít my first rodeo, but it is the first one with real clowns...

post #4 of 10 Old 12-09-2019, 10:45 PM

Garage
The rev limiter is at the same before and after the break in period. The shift indicator on the dash will turn red earlier, but that's not a rev limiter. Trust me, the rev limiter and I are good friends, we meet up all the time.

As for appreciation, the Duke does make most of its power at the higher RPM's, so if you help it below that 7k mark you don't get a full appreciation for what the engine can do. I think that's what the original poster of the quote was trying to get across.
varroa and nieprawda like this.

2017 Duke 390

Only a motorcycle rider can understand why a dog sticks his head out of the window.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-10-2019, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyzee View Post
Oh brother. Itís limited, by a rev limiter, to 6500-7000 rpms when the odometer is less than 620 miles.

Anybody running their bike in carefully will never find this out , I had done the required miles but had to wait a couple of days for the service . Guess what I found the rev limiter .
post #6 of 10 Old 12-10-2019, 05:15 AM

On my 1st ride I had it up to 8000rpm by mistake, so yes they rev up the same pre break in.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-10-2019, 09:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
The rev limiter is at the same before and after the break in period. The shift indicator on the dash will turn red earlier, but that's not a rev limiter. Trust me, the rev limiter and I are good friends, we meet up all the time.

As for appreciation, the Duke does make most of its power at the higher RPM's, so if you help it below that 7k mark you don't get a full appreciation for what the engine can do. I think that's what the original poster of the quote was trying to get across.
This.

The bike is not actually limited, its just the red line will appear at 6000 rpm if you are under the 620 miles break in period. You can rev right past it if you want....but then I would not recommending purchasing the bike that you test ride
Whiskey likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-10-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingywon View Post
You can rev right past it if you want....but then I would not recommending purchasing the bike that you test ride
Meh, as long as the engine was warmed up, it'll prolly be fine. There are people who intentionally do a "hard" break-in and the difference between doing it by the book vs that is essentially placebo. Motorcyclist magazine dealt with that question - taking two fresh engines, breaking one in "hard" and the other while following the conservative rev-limiter and then disassembling both. No differences.

As for the original question - I didn't notice any differences between a demo ride and a newly-bought bike with 0 mileage that I received a few months later. Maybe if I rode them back-to-back I'd notice something? But that's assuming you're letting yourself use the "forbidden" RPM ranges. If you stick to the flashing rev limiter on your demo ride, you'll miss out, that bit is true.
KTMasean and Charles like this.

2019 390 Duke
Poland

Last edited by _Big_Mac_; 12-10-2019 at 01:46 PM.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-11-2019, 05:35 AM

welcome to thrash mode. You will be more confident on the bike, you can rev it higher so same bike different ride..rider.

My Garage;
2018 KTM Duke 390; ADOS (active duty op support)
2018 Ducati SuperSport, R&R (Weekend Warrior)
2014 Kawasaki Z800, ADOS (active duty op support) WIA (wounded In Action)

Old Garage
Honda CBR650F, Kawasaki ER6N, Honda CBR500, Honda CB125, Honda CB400N,Susuki GS450,Yamaha MR50
post #10 of 10 Old 12-11-2019, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Cool, thanks for the info.

User Tag List