Newbie Dukey77 - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-19-2017, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 67
(Thread Starter)
Newbie Dukey77

Hi folks, Just wanted to introduce myself. Newbie here and looking to buy my first Duke 390. Life long motorcycle rider, current owner of a KLR 650 but like that Duke for my vacation home in Southern California and the small garage. Old Town Orange.

Wow, what's going on with the 2017s? I am perfectly content to get a good used or new 2016 but wouldn't mind waiting for the 2017 but goodness.......it's almost bizarre now. What, they can't get it out? What could possibly be the problem? Sounds like somebody screwed up somewhere big time.

I'm beginning to think the 2018s will be out before the 2017s!

I know I'm new and this may be too early or the wrong forum but can anyone answer the following for me?

1. How easy is the battery access on the Duke 390?
2. Is it practical to disconnect one of the battery terminal cables so as not to drain it while I am away from our vacation condo? Would that even work?
3. Can you recommend a good battery tender, preferably one that will not EVER overheat since I won't be at this condo most of the time where the Duke will be kept?

Thanks again and look forward to this forum and a Duke 390 ....whenever I get one.

Dukey77
dukey77 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 07-19-2017, 05:09 PM
Member
 
alyda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 63
Garage
Hi there!

The 2017s seem to either have shipping issues or regulation issues, you would get a killer deal on a used 15/16 (a few for sale in SoCal on these forums, I think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukey77 View Post
1. How easy is the battery access on the Duke 390?
pretty easy, just remove the passenger seat with the key, then remove 2 bolts for the rider's seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukey77 View Post
2. Is it practical to disconnect one of the battery terminal cables so as not to drain it while I am away from our vacation condo? Would that even work?
Sure, but you can also get a lithium battery that can hold a charge for up to a year (I think a good tender will run you about $120, and I upgraded my battery for $150).

Welcome, and make sure you get the black version as it's faster (j/k)
alyda is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 07-19-2017, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 67
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyda View Post
Hi there!

The 2017s seem to either have shipping issues or regulation issues, you would get a killer deal on a used 15/16 (a few for sale in SoCal on these forums, I think).



pretty easy, just remove the passenger seat with the key, then remove 2 bolts for the rider's seat.



Sure, but you can also get a lithium battery that can hold a charge for up to a year (I think a good tender will run you about $120, and I upgraded my battery for $150).

Welcome, and make sure you get the black version as it's faster (j/k)
Awesome......great information. Mind if I ask what kind of tender you got and do you keep it on it all the time? Thanks!!
dukey77 is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 Old 07-19-2017, 08:43 PM
Member
 
alyda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 63
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukey77 View Post
Awesome......great information. Mind if I ask what kind of tender you got and do you keep it on it all the time? Thanks!!
no tender, but I ride the bike quite often. I bought an AntiGravity 8-cell which claims up to 1 year of standby.
alyda is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 07-19-2017, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 67
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyda View Post
no tender, but I ride the bike quite often. I bought an AntiGravity 8-cell which claims up to 1 year of standby.
Thanks...gonna check it out.
dukey77 is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 07-19-2017, 09:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Murrysville, PA, USA. A pleasant, wooded suburb of Pittsburgh.
Posts: 2,194
I have AntiGravity 8-cell Lithium batteries in both my Duke390 and my Moto Guzzi V50. These batteries are feather-light, extremely compact and very powerful. Even though they have a long standby duration, I keep them topped up with an Optimate charger, which balances the cells and can save a Lithium battery discharged below 11 volts. Since the batteries are expensive, a quality charger, IMO, is a good investment in prolonging their service life.

Cheers, Will

"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else."
--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II cafe racer
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000
Diploman is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 07-19-2017, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 67
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diploman View Post
I have AntiGravity 8-cell Lithium batteries in both my Duke390 and my Moto Guzzi V50. These batteries are feather-light, extremely compact and very powerful. Even though they have a long standby duration, I keep them topped up with an Optimate charger, which balances the cells and can save a Lithium battery discharged below 11 volts. Since the batteries are expensive, a quality charger, IMO, is a good investment in prolonging their service life.
Great information. Really appreciate it. Gonna check out this charger. Thanks!
dukey77 is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 07-19-2017, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 67
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diploman View Post
I have AntiGravity 8-cell Lithium batteries in both my Duke390 and my Moto Guzzi V50. These batteries are feather-light, extremely compact and very powerful. Even though they have a long standby duration, I keep them topped up with an Optimate charger, which balances the cells and can save a Lithium battery discharged below 11 volts. Since the batteries are expensive, a quality charger, IMO, is a good investment in prolonging their service life.
Just curious, is this the Optimate Charger you have? It looks like it will work for what I need.......?

OptiMATE Lithium 4s 0.8A, TM-471, 8-step 12.8/13.2V 0.8A Battery saving charger-tester-maintainer
dukey77 is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 07-20-2017, 09:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Murrysville, PA, USA. A pleasant, wooded suburb of Pittsburgh.
Posts: 2,194
This is the one I have: a bit pricey, but it works like a champ.

https://www.amazon.com/TecMate-TM-29...attery+charger

Cheers, Will

"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else."
--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II cafe racer
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000
Diploman is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 07-21-2017, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 67
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diploman View Post
This is the one I have: a bit pricey, but it works like a champ.

https://www.amazon.com/TecMate-TM-29...attery+charger
Thanks. Appreciate it. Looks like a good one.
dukey77 is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome