2017 390 Duke owner from Australia - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 09-02-2017, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
2017 390 Duke owner from Australia

Got myself a new 2017 390 Duke last week. Trade in from a 09 GSXR 1000 that had 64,000 km's on it and needed some major maintenance work. Decided to let the bike shop deal with that and use the money on maintenance towards a new bike.

Have a weird issue where the oil light stays on after starting the bike if the engine is up to temp, but blipping the throttle to about 3000 rpm it will turn off and stay off for the rest of the session. It's fine when the engine is cold.

Bike shop has replaced the oil pressure sensor yesterday, but on the way home I refueled and once I started up again, same bloody issue! Will call the bike shop again on Monday morning, but has anyone heard of this particular behavior on a 390 Duke?

tribon264 and Tom_95 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 09-02-2017, 10:56 AM

Frankly: No- this is something new. I did nothing with the display on mine for all of last year. (Too lazy to read the instructions.) She went back to the dealer's for the mandatory 1,000 Klick service, (cost me 675 bucks), but they did not reset the panel. I tried to do that- now my panel is reading miles per hour. (and is not resetting to kpms per). But everything else is working fine. Second season now- and the only thing I have done to it, is re-tension the chain. AND replace the stocker seat with the powerparts one. (Now my butt does not become paralyzed after 250 klicks. Worth the money.) Looking for a gel pad of the right dimensions, to modify the original seat with- anybody out there tried this yet?
You traded down- from a GXR- would be interesting to read your comparison?
Ride safe!
post #3 of 30 Old 09-02-2017, 06:37 PM

Garage
I also have red oil light sometimes, was woried first time I noticed it but it turned off when i started moving, i checked oil level but it is ok (check when engine is hot). And yes it only happens when i turn on the engine when its up to temp.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

post #4 of 30 Old 09-02-2017, 06:39 PM

I recall someone else having this issue as well, so I dont think u are alone.
post #5 of 30 Old 09-03-2017, 03:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinky View Post
You traded down- from a GXR- would be interesting to read your comparison?
Yes, I might do a comparison write up after 2-3 thousand kms. Initial thoughts are its very flickable and maneuverable compared to my old gixxer, but oh so much slower. Taking some time to adjust to the gearing/revs too. Sometimes I think I am only doing around 3000rpm but I am actually around 5000rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieprawda View Post
I also have red oil light sometimes, was woried first time I noticed it but it turned off when i started moving, i checked oil level but it is ok (check when engine is hot). And yes it only happens when i turn on the engine when its up to temp.
So that's 2 of us confirmed with this issue. Will let you know how I get on with the bike dealer.
post #6 of 30 Old 09-03-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wht32 View Post
Yes, I might do a comparison write up after 2-3 thousand kms. Initial thoughts are its very flickable and maneuverable compared to my old gixxer, but oh so much slower. Taking some time to adjust to the gearing/revs too. Sometimes I think I am only doing around 3000rpm but I am actually around 5000rpm.

So that's 2 of us confirmed with this issue. Will let you know how I get on with the bike dealer.
From what I know from mine and the Indian chat forum this is normal....same w ABS light , you have to get moving before the shut off

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 30 Old 09-03-2017, 07:49 PM

I know they replaced my oil pressure sensor before I took ownership of the bike, but it's been working fine since.
post #8 of 30 Old 09-04-2017, 01:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeman23 View Post
From what I know from mine and the Indian chat forum this is normal....same w ABS light , you have to get moving before the shut off

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
Mine does the same thing. Software flaw?
post #9 of 30 Old 09-04-2017, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
TDLR: took bike to dealer, mechanic still thinks an issue, ordering new oil pressure sensor

And so the (minor) saga goes...

This morning after I got into work, I made sure it was still staying on a hot restart and it was. But I also got a ECU Error message on the dash the first time I turned the key Off/On. The water temp gauge was reading max as well. I did read on xbhp that another guy had the ECU Error issue and a TFT swap fixed it? Mechanic didn't say anything about investigating the ECU Error.

The mechanic (different one to last Friday) agreed the low oil light should turn off after a hot restart without having to blip the throttle to 3000 rpm. Did another oil pressure test and it came up excellent at idle and 6000 rpm apparently. He then fiddled with the clutch lever switch and it seemed to fix the oil light issue. He thought it the screw/pin was not far enough in or something. The oil light took about a second to go out after starting.

Got home, and turned it off and on again. ECU Error again with full water temp gauge. Off and on again, oil pressure light stayed on again until I blipped it. Off and again once more to double check, still an issue.

I called the dealer, talked to the mechanic. He advised he will order in another oil pressure sensor and swap it in during the 1000km service which should be in about 2 weeks. He also said he is going to talk to KTM Australia and see what they say about these oil pressure sensors.

Gonna get the valve clearances done too as per the service schedule. He reckoned he has never seen a KTM valve clearance out of spec...

Last edited by wht32; 09-04-2017 at 04:45 AM.
post #10 of 30 Old 09-04-2017, 10:33 AM

I have experienced the ABS light, the low oil light and intermittent service light with just shy of 400 miles on it. The first time I experienced any of these it gave me pause obviously, but the bike ran smooth and got me home. Day to day the display either gives me a good read or some caution indicator light, it still runs smooth and gets me to point A and back. I had it stall twice seconds after a morning startup/warm up, but my Ducati did that as well.

All in all, I understand it is a brand new bike and it shouldn't be plagued with issues, but I also understand it is the first year of an updated design and features. In a sense I am a beta tester, and I knew that going into this. The problems people are having are more likely than not all TFT firmware and/or circuit board issues. We can hope KTM will figure out the flaws in the system and get it rectified sooner than later, but for the time being it it'll get me from point A and back.

It's a great lil'bike and all in all I am very pleased with it. I love the look, the poise while in a turn (I have like two turns on my way to work and back, so I savor them as much as I can /cry), the "thumpiness" of the little single cylinder and the accompanying "revvyness"; While riding at speed I can only see the road ahead of me through my full-face helmet, which is a new experience, but a very much welcomed one. The overall experience that I take from this bike is a more overall connection with the bike and road.

Enjoy it for what it is... A quick little canyon carver with a lovely, but finicky TFT display.
varroa and plipgtr like this.

2017 KTM Duke 390

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page