Mods - Page 3 - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 Old 01-28-2019, 10:12 AM

Honestly my favorite mod was getting rid of that dang tail on the back of the bike. I ended up making my own as I thought it was rather easy to build one and not buy one but I am all about fabricating my own parts for the bike later today I hope I can get a few pictures up.
gearhead1703 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old 01-28-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbj View Post
Boosterplug would sort out the lean running issue, it has on my bike

I learned that the ECU, a Bosch unit, is a self learning one. There’s a debatable method called the 15-minute reset. I’ve tried, and it did seem to work. It’s supposed to learn the correct fueling for the temperature and AFR. When you finish, it stores the new learned map and uses that one. If this works out, I just might not end up using the boosterplug

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbj View Post
let us know how you get on with the cat removal, I've been contemplating this myself

I’m going in stages, figuring out how the Duke responds to each one. First of all I’m throwing on a free flow air filter and following the reset method. Second comes a 47T rear sprocket. The first set is shot and I have to replace it anyway.

At the same time I’m putting in a K&N engine oil filter for the oil to flow more efficiently, cooling the engine if it heats up because of being way too lean.

I’m also throwing on a free(er) flowing fuel filter so less restrictions on that end.

Last would be the catalyst removal, so there’s still some time for that to happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #23 of 30 Old 01-28-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead1703 View Post
I learned that the ECU, a Bosch unit, is a self learning one. There’s a debatable method called the 15-minute reset. I’ve tried, and it did seem to work. It’s supposed to learn the correct fueling for the temperature and AFR. When you finish, it stores the new learned map and uses that one. If this works out, I just might not end up using the boosterplug

All modern fuel injected motorcycles and cars have ‘learning’ ECUs. Where I think you’re confused, if I understand this correctly, is that the ‘learning’ you speak of only affects closed loop. The BoosterPlug only affects open loop. A fairly crude setup like on the 390 with very limited sensors, simply runs off fuel tables in open loop. So the bike has no ability to “unlearn” what the BoosterPlug is doing. It’s simply fooling the ECU into thinking the air temp is cooler in open loop, which just changes which tables the ECU is using to determine the A/F ratio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
tbj likes this.

2018 Orange 390 DUKE
MSF RiderCoach

post #24 of 30 Old 01-28-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelsGood View Post
All modern fuel injected motorcycles and cars have ‘learning’ ECUs. Where I think you’re confused, if I understand this correctly, is that the ‘learning’ you speak of only affects closed loop. The BoosterPlug only affects open loop. A fairly crude setup like on the 390 with very limited sensors, simply runs off fuel tables in open loop. So the bike has no ability to “unlearn” what the BoosterPlug is doing. It’s simply fooling the ECU into thinking the air temp is cooler in open loop, which just changes which tables the ECU is using to determine the A/F ratio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh okay. I didn’t know that. Thanks!
Guess I will end up needing the boosterplug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #25 of 30 Old 01-29-2019, 06:29 PM

Favorite mod by far, has to be the RapidBike Evo Piggyback. It'll auto-tune open and closed loop, and keeps making adjustments as you ride. It totally got rid of the god awful jerky throttle at low speeds/rpm. Bike feels butter smooth like a real bike now.

Second favorite is the LeoVince Evo One exhaust, really woke the bike up after the RB Evo adjusted to the additional flow. Left the DB killer in because it is way too loud without it.

DNA race filter and open airbox gives a really nice intake growl too, which also added more smiles per mile.

Welcome to the forum, BTW.
post #26 of 30 Old 01-30-2019, 12:54 AM

I've heard about an ""open air box" what is that exactly? Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 30 Old 02-02-2019, 10:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by changohot View Post
I've heard about an ""open air box" what is that exactly? Thanks
Removing the cover on the airbox.Mods-7428977_2_orig.jpeg
changohot likes this.

2016 Duke 390 - Lowered 45mm F&R with T-Rex Racing link and kickstand, YSS MZ506 shock, RC390 fork springs & custom spacers, DynoJet quickshifter and PCV, Gray Area KTM airbox, open lid, inverted K&N filter, Werkes pipe, TYGA header, 16T sprocket, 320mm Galfer rotor and HH pads, XHP50 LED headlight, Vizi-tec SupaBrake II, Renthal grips with HeatDemon heaters, lever guards, Ride It Moto levers, eBay sliders, rear spools and rearsets, DIY tail tidy, HD radiator, F&R shock guards, OBD2 dongle
post #28 of 30 Old 02-03-2019, 07:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to maverick9611
bazzaz fuel controller, dan moto midpipe with ali express el cheapo muffler.
# 1 is bazzaz self mapper. ktms twins rear luggage plate. rotopax fuel jug
open airbox mod with k/n filter, engine crash guards with sliders.
post #29 of 30 Old 02-03-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN Duke View Post
Removing the cover on the airbox.Attachment 48693
Hi how did you find the ride with the 16t.
post #30 of 30 Old 02-03-2019, 11:04 AM

Garage
16T is great. Better rpm / cruising on the highway and didn't lose any acceleration.

2016 Duke 390 - Lowered 45mm F&R with T-Rex Racing link and kickstand, YSS MZ506 shock, RC390 fork springs & custom spacers, DynoJet quickshifter and PCV, Gray Area KTM airbox, open lid, inverted K&N filter, Werkes pipe, TYGA header, 16T sprocket, 320mm Galfer rotor and HH pads, XHP50 LED headlight, Vizi-tec SupaBrake II, Renthal grips with HeatDemon heaters, lever guards, Ride It Moto levers, eBay sliders, rear spools and rearsets, DIY tail tidy, HD radiator, F&R shock guards, OBD2 dongle

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page