New here. Is the 390 Duke for me? - Page 2 - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 Old 06-20-2019, 03:15 AM

I had to ride my Duke on the highway two weeks ago for around an hour each direction. I ended up going around 60mph, the motor will do more without issues but the wind blast becomes physically draining. I'm 6'3 and on any naked bike it's a struggle to go faster than that for long periods of time. A 690/790 won't help in that regard, it's not the engine that's the problem, it's the lack of fairings.

Some people have different resistance to headwinds, it's probably easier if you're shorter and heavier, I'm a tall and skinny kind of guy.

So, while the Duke 390 will do highways in a pinch, it's not going to be comfortable or fun. It's a blast in the city and out, competent on track, fun as ****, but like any naked bike, it's not well suited to highway stints.

My other bike is a 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650. That one will do highways all day but it definitely feels heavier in the twisties or in the city. It's no slouch, actually a very agile bike, but the Duke 390 is just incredibly flickable and lightweight. It's gonna be a compromise, you'll have to choose which way
varroa and pingywon like this.

2019 390 Duke
Poland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 06-20-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I may be better off with a larger bike then. I may be able to test drive one though and form my own opinion. I found a used 2018 390 with less than 100 miles for $4,300. Does that sound like a good deal to y’all?
post #13 of 26 Old 06-20-2019, 12:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanribeye View Post
I may be better off with a larger bike then. I may be able to test drive one though and form my own opinion. I found a used 2018 390 with less than 100 miles for $4,300. Does that sound like a good deal to y’all?

Dealer or private party? How are your state's taxes determined?

2018 390 Duke

post #14 of 26 Old 06-20-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
It’s from a private party. Sales tax will be determined upon transferring the title. Used to be whatever price you told them but now it’s calculated by the tax office upon whatever formula that they’ve come up with so I’m not sure how bad that tax would hit me.
post #15 of 26 Old 06-20-2019, 03:32 PM
JP4

Quote:
I may be better off with a larger bike then. I may be able to test drive one though and form my own opinion. I found a used 2018 390 with less than 100 miles for $4,300. Does that sound like a good deal to yall?
That's about what they sell for out the door in the off season here (Oregon). Still not a bad price for a very lightly used one or one with some nice accessories.
I've had my 390 for about about a year and a half, and personally, being 5'11" with a 35" inseam, I wouldn't want anything smaller. I have the taller seat on it and I'm good for about an hour and a half. At your size I'd check out the 690 Duke. I've riden them back to back and it's much more comfortable for a larger person. A little more vibration but significantly more grunt as well. I think the 390 is a little more athletic in the corners, but the suspension is also a little more firm than the 690. Last year's 690's can be had for less than $7k new. Good luck on your bike search!

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
post #16 of 26 Old 06-20-2019, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I’ll get to drive one on Saturday to see how it feels and what it will do with my weight on it. I’m really pulling for the little Duke to be up to snuff for me. I’d hate to have to spend more on a bigger bike whereas I could pay cash for the 390 and be done with it.
varroa and JP4 like this.
post #17 of 26 Old 06-21-2019, 11:08 AM

Garage
So, if you have a one time tax of say around $300, then I would say that isn't a bad deal. I would wanna know why it was for sale with so little miles, though. I paid $5,500 for mine, new, out the door. But, I also got them to throw in the Akrapovic slip-on.

I think one option you have, when you find you don't like long highway stints on the 390, is to put it in the back of your truck and haul it to the farther off areas that you wanna ride.

2018 390 Duke
post #18 of 26 Old 06-21-2019, 03:32 PM

Garage
Exclamation

Quote:
Ill get to drive one on Saturday to see how it feels and what it will do with my weight on it. Im really pulling for the little Duke to be up to snuff for me. Id hate to have to spend more on a bigger bike whereas I could pay cash for the 390 and be done with it.
Im sure I speak for all of us when I saw we are pulling for the 390 Duke to work for you. With that said - assuming you are in the states and can get to a KTM dealer I would go talk to THEM about financing even if you end up going 790 Duke.

I bought my 390 with 6 miles on it - $0 down - $100 a month. If you have 390 Duke money as a down payment you could probably end up with a 790 for the same $100 a month - if you put that money you got down.

point is it never hurts to talk - the original reason I ended up buying the 390 is because the offer was too good to be true.

no regrats
post #19 of 26 Old 06-26-2019, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Ok, I bought the 2018 Duke 390, done deal. I feel I got a good deal, paid cash for it so if I ever look to sell or trade it then at least I’m not making payments on it.

Took it out last night for a ride around town to start getting used to it; it’s gonna be a little bit of a learning curve but time will bring familiarity with the bike. I’m bummed I can’t or at least I shouldn’t go past 65mph as it gives me that lower red line since it’s still at the beginning of its break in period😐
duke200 and Wakeboarder like this.
post #20 of 26 Old 06-27-2019, 07:29 AM

No issues at all with acceleration at 65. It will pull handily to 90 where it will run out of steam in terms of acceleration. The power is all at the top end of the rev range which is where youll be at that point.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page