Returning Rider - KTM Duke 390 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-26-2019, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Returning Rider

Neglected my beauty (health crap) in the garage for two years and upon removing from storage and proceeding to do a fluid/filter change I noticed some green liquid in the sump's oil. She was fine upon parking as far as head gasket goes so will be doing the water pump seal/gasket repair as soon as parts arrive from local dealer. Debating if I should do both sides or not and the scope of work for getting into the left side of the engine. I understand most just swap out the seal on the water pump side. Thanks for having me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-27-2019, 01:45 AM

Garage
When I found coolant in my oil, the dealer said the balancer shaft chewed through both seals. They cracked open the whole engine to replace them both and the balancer shaft. If you're only replacing the seals, you COULD get away with doing it from the outside, given you're EXTREMELY careful not to nick the seating surfaces.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-27-2019, 06:28 AM

welcome to the forum..

post #4 of 6 Old 06-27-2019, 06:28 AM

hope you will like and enjoy.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-28-2019, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the info! I'm going to try just doing the water pump side very carefully and see how that works out by monitoring my oil carefuly and maybe drain it after a day or two of riding and see if any coolant leaked into the oil, and I could even drain the coolant and see if any oil is leaking into the coolant. I got extra of both at home. Crazy about your shaft, are you in the US? I've found many posts and videos of people replacing the water pump side and getting away with it (supposedly). When I called the KTM dealer they said they'd probably just swap the one side so I figured I'd give it try. If I need the other side replaced once I get in there, then I guess I can take it in and have them crack the cases open if I have to. Im curious to the cost of your job to split the cases and replaced all that. I saw a low miles motor recently online for $1500 and I was thinking that almost might be better if my dealer has to crack open this dang thing.

I love my Duke, she saved me when I needed saving, I'm not letting her die.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-29-2019, 01:40 AM

Garage
Well, replacing a seal without replacing the shaft will lead to more chewed seals if the shaft is at fault. That's why the dealer went straight to replacing the shaft, to cut down on potentially wasteful repairs.

An easier way to check if coolant is going into oil is monitoring the level of coolant in the overflow tank. If you see it going down (I did in my case), then coolant is getting pushed into the crankcase.

I am in US, and have no idea how much the warranty work was; to me, it was free. I should've bought the mechanics some beer or something, but my dealer is 1.5 hours away, so being grateful was not the first thing on my mind (Austin traffic was).

A used engine might not be safe from the badly manufactured balancer shaft; it more depends on the date of manufacturing. I think KTM updated the shaft at some point.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page