Powder coating the frame? - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 07-18-2019, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Powder coating the frame?

Hey kids! I'm purchasing a duke 390 in the next few weeks, prob 2015 or 16, which I'm super excited for, yew! Thing is.... im just not a fan of the bright orange frame 😢 I guess I'm just wondering exactly how much of a project it is to strip the whole bike down to the frame, get it powder coated (or paint it), and reassemble. Has anyone done this? How long did it take and did you have any problems or have any tips? I have a lot of experience with working with tools, but zero experience with motorcycle mechanics 😅
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-19-2019, 02:32 AM

I mean yeah people do it. Google custom KTM Duke 390's, there are some amazing bikes out there. If you were going to pay a shop I imagine it's be money better spent elseware. If I had to give a rough guess I'd say at least 4 hours to drop motor and alot of the stuff but that's not including any paint prep, plus you gotta put everything back after. You're talking thousands of dollars (US).
post #3 of 14 Old 07-19-2019, 02:54 AM

I’d guess you get another bike for the money of that. As long as you can’t do it all by yourself which would be a pain in the *youknowwhere”.

I actually do get a lot of compliments (in the US) for the color - they are just more used to Harley black I guess, though.

And if you drive KTM, you bleed orange anyhow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Whiskey likes this.

post #4 of 14 Old 07-19-2019, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I was hoping to do it myself to save the thousands 😅 I have googled - it's what inspired me to be honest. There are some incredible ones out there 🙂
post #5 of 14 Old 07-19-2019, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I'm not too worried about the paint prep etc. I would probably just get it powder coated at an industrial powder coated for few hundred. I was hoping someone would pop by and say "its surprisingly easy to take these bikes apart!"... wishful thinking hahah
post #6 of 14 Old 07-19-2019, 10:08 AM

Garage
Taking it apart is rarely the problem. Obviously it can be done but it is a lot of work. I don’t think you will achieve it quickly or easily but welcome to the world of modern bikes!
post #7 of 14 Old 07-19-2019, 10:57 AM

Garage
Can’t be that hard taking it apart and putting it together.

Doesn’t the owners manual cover pretty much everything? If not, the repair manual should be enough to do it.

Getting everything lined up perfectly and torqued correctly, is probably more difficult than car stuff.

I’ve got these guys on my watch list... https://youtu.be/bGdBawaECOY

Give it a go and make a project thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-19-2019, 06:15 PM

Garage
It’s always easy when someone else does it. Remembering the correct routing of all the cables and hoses is not quite so easy when the bike has been apart a few weeks
post #9 of 14 Old 07-20-2019, 12:55 PM

I'm a fan of powder coating...instant finish..no paint curing. My local shops price was around 250.00 for prep,sandblasting, and powder coat.(black...custom color prob more)

I powder coat anything I can fit in my oven (no cooking food in after you've powdered it) I have a cheap gun...works good!

Be sure they plug all the holes...otherwise you will have to remove the overspray....

Take lots and lots of pics and number your connections.

2018 Duke 390, just over 200 miles. No awesome mods yet...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
single round mirror, homemade tailtidy, Windshield, rear mud guard.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-22-2019, 08:09 PM

Garage
Welcome from the US!

I didn't really care much for the orange at first either, but it grows on you and definitely gets attention. I've had way more people talk to me on the Duke than any other bike I've owned. After owning it for about a year, I'm actually really happy I got the orange one rather than the white.

2017 Duke 390

Only a motorcycle rider can understand why a dog sticks his head out of the window.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page