• 2 Post By tka42
  • 1 Post By tka42
  • 1 Post By moazman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-09-2019, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Need some ECU shopping advice

I'm looking at options for a decat and air box cover and Google has lead me to believe I need an ECU remap or piggyback. I have read around here a bit and have only become more confused. Right now I'm thinking about going through AOMC and buying the Coober ECU with AMP airbox cover and a competition werkes decat. I tried to include the link below but I dont have that ability yet (Google "AMP Performance ECU KTM 390 RC/Duke 17-18 by COOBER GmbH" should be the first link). That being said, it seems like most people here are talking about power commanders, EVO, and some other ECU options. The reason I am gravitating toward coober is because I have been in contact with them, the ECU is configured with this airbox cover, they (apparently) work side by side with KTM to ensure that everything is working perfectly, they are plug and go, and the ECU will work with the decat. Simple enough.

A little background about my knowledge: I have some experience with engines and vehicles but know very little about Dynos and ECU mapping so even if I could adjust a Power Commander with my laptop, I would be very hesitant to do so unless it was pretty simple. I wouldn't want to ruin my bike messing with ratios beyond my understanding.

I am hoping someone here with more experience than me might be able to shed a little light, tell me if I'm good or if I'm missing something (better options, bad experiences...). All advice is welcome, but if you can, please explain a little why. Telling me a power commander is better but without sharing a little more doesn't really help make a decision. Thank you!
KTMasean and pingywon like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-09-2019, 09:19 AM

Garage
Hi tka42, and welcome to the forum,

You will find that there are a lot of different opinions and as such, it is about the same question you will find on ANY motorcycle forum or FB page "what's the best oil for my bike".
Almost without an exception, all responses will be from people who are using that particular device including me.
Simply because there will be very limited people on here that have used different devices.
Your safest bet is with Coober as they will take over the warranty from KTM IF you stick to their allowed modifications so it is of the utmost importance when choosing Coober to check with them first.
I have looked at Coober and living far, far from anything being able to order, I choose PowerTRONIC as this unit gives me the freedom to adjust to whatever modification I would like to put on the Duke.
Hear me now, I do not say this is the best choice but it is for me.
I also think you need to announce what Duke you are looking to modify.
The reason for me picking PowerTRONIC is the availability, adjustable in F/A ratio and ignition and pre-configured for a up-shift QS-ter.
If you say where you ride, the choice might be different and easier for your location?
Another thing to consider is "what do you want it for"?
If the power is enough for you (now) there are more interesting modifications to consider.
Anyway, drop your questions here and I hope you will find the answers you are looking for.

As long as you are happy with what you ride.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-09-2019, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
So I’m in orlando, Fl riding a 2018 390 Duke. Looking into an ECU because I do want a little more power, although I’m not sure of any engine related mods I would make after the ECU, airbox, decat. Most of the other mods are Stunt related: crash cage, subcage, wheelie bar, fender tidy kit.

Like you said I know this is a very opinion based question, but your response was a good one. I hadn’t really thought about future mods and the ECU compatibility. How technically skilled are you that you can adjust the ECU? Or is is automatic? Any other considerations when ECU shopping?
KTMasean likes this.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-11-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tka42 View Post
I'm looking at options for a decat and air box cover and Google has lead me to believe I need an ECU remap or piggyback. I have read around here a bit and have only become more confused. Right now I'm thinking about going through AOMC and buying the Coober ECU with AMP airbox cover and a competition werkes decat. I tried to include the link below but I dont have that ability yet (Google "AMP Performance ECU KTM 390 RC/Duke 17-18 by COOBER GmbH" should be the first link). That being said, it seems like most people here are talking about power commanders, EVO, and some other ECU options. The reason I am gravitating toward coober is because I have been in contact with them, the ECU is configured with this airbox cover, they (apparently) work side by side with KTM to ensure that everything is working perfectly, they are plug and go, and the ECU will work with the decat. Simple enough.

A little background about my knowledge: I have some experience with engines and vehicles but know very little about Dynos and ECU mapping so even if I could adjust a Power Commander with my laptop, I would be very hesitant to do so unless it was pretty simple. I wouldn't want to ruin my bike messing with ratios beyond my understanding.

I am hoping someone here with more experience than me might be able to shed a little light, tell me if I'm good or if I'm missing something (better options, bad experiences...). All advice is welcome, but if you can, please explain a little why. Telling me a power commander is better but without sharing a little more doesn't really help make a decision. Thank you!

if thats true....i'll eat my handle bars.....
post #5 of 7 Old 09-11-2019, 05:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by properperson View Post
if thats true....i'll eat my handle bars.....

Do you like fries with your handlebars
tka42 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-12-2019, 03:32 AM

Garage
Iím not seeing any particular reason to disbelieve it. Coober do a map for their own open air box lid, and I doubt there is a huge difference.
post #7 of 7 Old Today, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Just to keep the thread updated, I wound up ordering the Coober kit with airbox lid and decat from AOMC. Its going to take 2-3 weeks because they need to order it from Coober. Only reason I didn't order it from Coober directly was because I saved myself about $110 between shipping, exchange rate, and an AOMC coupon.

I also ordered a Mivv Suano Slip on Exhaust. Unfortunately Mivv has very limited suppliers including 2 in the US but only MotoMachines has any idea what is going on. I contacted the other place (in PA I believe but I forgot the company) because they do have Mivv products but I couldn't find the exhaust I wanted. Customer service there was a joke and wanted all kinds of information just to get a quote. Like you either have it or you don't. After I told the guy off, he said he would email me with information when he found it, but he never did (although I'm not surprised). Made the decision easy, Motomachines is straightforward and service has been great so far. Mivv is pretty exclusive in their dealers so that will be another 2-3 week update. I could have bought it from overseas on Ebay but again, saved about $100 on shipping and fees plus I had a coupon.

Hopefully I can update speeds and dB readings since I think those are the 2 things I am always looking for and no one ever wants to share. Mivv comes with a removable silencer for closed course that I will test out also to keep the information as broad as I can.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page