Newbie with a few questions - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 09-22-2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Newbie with a few questions

Hi all
I have posted on the main KTM forum asking a few questions.
I have been away from bikes for 15 years and am now 52 and only 5í5Ē weighing in at 10 stone with fairly short legs. Iíve looked at a few bikes so far but then took a 390 out and loved it apart from it feels very lumpy when at low revs or coming to a stop but this is the first single I have ridden or it could just be me. Then I took the 790 out and fell in love.
Iím going to use a bike for the odd commute to work 5 miles each way on dry days and a ride out with friends around 150 to 200 miles they ride Triumph, Ducati and Royal Enfield so nothing over 80 any where really.

I would go down the 790 route because I like the smoothness of the twin and the pull but at the same time I liked the 390 being a bit smaller and lighter I also think it looks better. Plus the the 390 is £4000 less, half the insurance and tax.
The height on both feels around the same I can touch the floor on both sides just about and when I stop one foot flat down if fine.

Can people give me a bit of help as to what I should do please.

Also has anyone had the seat lowering kit fitted as does it change the bike apart from the obvious height drop around an inch.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-22-2019, 12:40 PM

Garage
If you can touch the ground on both sides with your toes and get one foot flat then in my experience, you donít need a lowering kit, especially with a bike as light as the 390.

Lumpy at low revs is a characteristic of almost all singles and certainly almost all performance singles. The solution is to learn not to run them at low revs. This is also true of many V Twins.
KTMasean and varroa like this.
post #3 of 16 Old 09-22-2019, 01:45 PM

If you go the 390 route, fitting of any of the Rapid Bike products will transform the lumpiness you describe that occurs at lower rpms.
varroa likes this.

Whatís a valve train?

post #4 of 16 Old 09-22-2019, 02:15 PM

Garage
I got used to the lumpiness and learnt to avoid causing it 99% of the time, so I wouldnít worry about it.

You can fit piggyback ECUs to adjust the fuelling which means you can run the bike at lower revs and itíll be smoother than stock.

By seat lowering kit, do you mean the official KTM lowering kit? If you can one foot easy, Iíd save your money.

As for 390 or 790 - if youíre already thinking about cost difference then you may as well go for the 390. The 790 is a totally different beast. But I think the 390 would be more engaging up to 80mph, you can really ring its neck thru the first 5 gears to get to that speed, plus its lightweight means you can really attack the corners.
KTMasean likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old 09-22-2019, 02:32 PM

If you do decide to lower the bike, l have a brand new official KTM lowering kit that you can have for a good saving over list price.
post #6 of 16 Old 09-22-2019, 04:33 PM

Garage
Welcome from the US!

The 390 is an excellent bike for around town, but if you're going to do any regular long distance riding you'll be much happier with the 790. Really though, only you can make that call.

2017 Duke 390

Only a motorcycle rider can understand why a dog sticks his head out of the window.
post #7 of 16 Old 09-22-2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks everyone.
Iím going to have to do some thinking
KTMasean likes this.
post #8 of 16 Old 09-23-2019, 02:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moazman View Post
I got used to the lumpiness and learnt to avoid causing it 99% of the time, so I wouldnít worry about it.

You can fit piggyback ECUs to adjust the fuelling which means you can run the bike at lower revs and itíll be smoother than stock.

By seat lowering kit, do you mean the official KTM lowering kit? If you can one foot easy, Iíd save your money.

As for 390 or 790 - if youíre already thinking about cost difference then you may as well go for the 390. The 790 is a totally different beast. But I think the 390 would be more engaging up to 80mph, you can really ring its neck thru the first 5 gears to get to that speed, plus its lightweight means you can really attack the corners.
I agree with this. You will learn how to avoid the lumps really quickly - it becomes 2nd nature. also (from what I hear from EVERYONE on here) RBE makes mashed potatoes of those lumps.
post #9 of 16 Old 09-23-2019, 07:28 PM

Garage
Actually learning to avoid the bad lumpiness and enjoy the good becomes one of your riding skills and that increases the satisfaction of riding
KTMasean, Mirius and pingywon like this.

Cheers then!
Jon G

(Monster M1200s
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
& Duke 390
post #10 of 16 Old 09-24-2019, 12:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcjohnny View Post
Actually learning to avoid the bad lumpiness and enjoy the good becomes one of your riding skills and that increases the satisfaction of riding
I like that...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page