New Duke 390 rider, new to your Forum - KTM Duke 390 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-05-2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
New Duke 390 rider, new to your Forum

First of all I will say I love the bike. I bought the white 2019 version on June 29th, had it insured a couple weeks later, started riding again and I've got no regrets. Now I've got around 1200 or so miles on it, just did the 3rd oil change at 1050; so in another 200 miles I'll be pulling all those screens out again, just getting on with it.

I work as a mechanic, to make money, or you can call me a technician if you want, because I hardly ever get to use hard tools anymore. I spend more time with wiring diagrams, DVOMs and DSOs in my clutch, but I'm not fool enough to think it's woo-hoo glamorous. I think it's just that nobody wants to do it because, to them, it often borders on the hypothetical... and I get that, because I personally don't believe anything good comes from esoterica or maybes. Just my two cents.

But, ya know what? I really don't like talking about myself that much. I'm pretty sure this bike, and also my Trek FX4, are my two latest 'escapes' from the 3-ring shitshow of my daily life . So maybe let's just leave my everyday who the **** am I outta this, cool?

So far the only mods I've done are the ABRacing crash bars and the KTM swingarm spools... but I did just order 16 and 43 tooth Superlites from Sprocket Center. Yeah, those are both the steel ones; one of them is on BO until Nov 19.

I also picked up the CAN/OBD harness and ELM327 combo. I'm kinda curious, when I get a chance, to pin down the closed-to-open loop transition criteria of this motorcycle... and dropping the rpms by 900 surely ought to aggravate that, right? Eh, we'll see.

My helmet's a Scorpion EXO-T510 cipher, and I added a Cardio Freedom 2+ as a com. My boots are TCX Vibe Air, because I've got 10.5 or 11 Wide feet (and these actually fit wide feet perfectly, unlike some others). My jacket is an Icon Textile Overlord, White; it's nothing fancy but it breathes, fits and I ride in SW Florida, the white helps ya stay 'seen'. And as far as pants go, I actually bought the New Drake Air Textile, from EM Lineamoto in Italy. It tends to get a bit hot down this way and, believe it or not, the Drakes breathe really well for me, even when stopped in traffic. I don't need pants 'pockets' (or I would've bought Klim adv pants, for sure).

Anyway, it's gettin' late, I gotta go, there's always zhit 2 do. Hope you'll welcome me into the fold, hope we can share some good experiences with each other in the future. Ok, I'm gonna go do laundry now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-06-2019, 12:09 AM

What did you find in your screens each time you changed your oil?

This isnít my first rodeo, but it is the first one with real clowns...
post #3 of 8 Old 11-06-2019, 06:38 AM

Garage
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

2017 Duke 390

Only a motorcycle rider can understand why a dog sticks his head out of the window.

post #4 of 8 Old 11-06-2019, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyzee View Post
What did you find in your screens each time you changed your oil?
I shot pictures of everything, but of course I can't post anything like that yet. In the main suction screen I found some flashing/slag the first time, but nothing ever in the small screen, or in the large screen any time after that. The 3rd time around though, oil flowing out of the filter housing 'sparkled' as it slid to the drain pan. I'll be keeping an eye out for that next time, of course.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-07-2019, 04:42 PM

Thanks. I wondered. I have performed my first change at 205 miles. Found swarf as well as fibers, foreign matter too. The oil that drained from the paper element didn’t have any sparkle to it though and I happen to be changing in direct sunlight that day.

post #6 of 8 Old 11-07-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Ditto on the fibers you mentioned... and it also looked like the main screen had actually gotten really hot.

That brings me to the other thing I noticed, that I remedied on the very 1st oil change -- that rubber heat shield right behind the radiator fan, it was covering the right third of the radiator and heat couldn't even LEAVE the radiator, flow was completely blocked.

Well, if you pull the drain hose away from behind it, on the right side of the bike, and pull that rubber flap backwards to rest behind the drain hose... then carefully puncture a small zip-tie hole into that rubber flap and tie it back to the frame tube... surprise! the fan will only come on half as often (or even less).

If it doesn't make sense without pictures, maybe the gods will actually grant me ability to respond to posts and upload pics. Til then, I'm sure you alrdy get where I'm going with all that -- word to the wise and all.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-07-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I uploaded 2 pictures of the heat guard/flap I was talking about, and I put them in 'my garage' for the time being, just so I could get them up where you could see what I mean.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-08-2019, 05:38 PM

I will check the garage.
Somewhere around ten posts and you will be granted photo posting privileges.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page