Gas Tank and consumption - Page 2 - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 01-05-2017, 04:02 PM

Rotopax are marvelous fuel containers, and I use them myself.

Another, cheaper and more compact alternative that I've also used is a pair of MSR fuel bottles strapped together with duct tape. They will fit easily in a tail bag or top case, and are easy to deal with . Each one holds just shy of a quart, so a pair would give you a 30 mile emergency range on the 390 in case of an "oopsie" on calculating the distance to the nearest source of DDJ (Distilled Dinosaur Juice)

Here are some generic aluminum fuel bottles, 750ML, $10 each, Amazon Prime eligible https://www.amazon.com/Lixada-Outdoo...tle&th=1&psc=1

And some MSR brand 30 oz (887 ml) at $22 each https://www.amazon.com/MSR-11832-Fue...tle&th=1&psc=1
Diploman and Kinky like this.

John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 01-05-2017, 04:08 PM

My fuel economy as calculated by the on-board computer pretty much always runs 18-19 miles per liter assuming a long enough ride to fully warm up the engine. That's road riding, not in town, and with speeds probably averaging 50 mph or so. I have the RapidBike Evo installed, so no doubt use a bit more fuel at lower throttle openings than the stock lean fueling, but am quite satisfied with the economy and performance of the bike so far. I usually run 125-140 miles between fill ups and it's not uncommon to put in 2.2-2.4 gal at the station.

John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA
post #13 of 21 Old 03-30-2017, 03:08 AM

Garage
After a little over 4 months back riding m/bikes I have stopped using gas stations for my local riding. I have a 10 litre gas container which I fill when filling my car. Even dispensing that into the bikes tank isn't easy. A conventional funnel doesn't work with the standard fuel cap which stands vertical when open. My solution is a custom funnel made by trimming a 1.5L plastic soft drink bottle. This will sit stable in the tank opening inside the open cap and still give you a fair size target for the nozzle from the gas can.
Even though I'm not fully run in (800km) I'm impressed with the fuel economy. 3.7L / 100km riding conservatively 3.8 if I give it some stick!! of course the whole conversion thing to US or imperial mpg is a pain in the butt, but I think its better than Diploman's 60 US mpg. Will have to get the calculator out. I am presumimg that the computer is accurately measuring fuel usage at the injector, not using the next to useless fuel gauge.My display will not show the kms to empty value at this point (display is a warranty issue), but recognising the fuel gauge inaccuracy I'm guessing that is next to worthless even if you could see it.
Diploman likes this.

post #14 of 21 Old 03-30-2017, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diploman View Post
Zopparoo,

The limited capacity of the tank is a characteristic of the 2013-2016 Duke that has prompted much discussion. Clearly, it is not optimal, but most of us have learned to live with it over time. The bike generally gets 60-63 MPG American, so with KTM's claimed 2.9 gallon tank over 170 miles range should theoretically be possible if all the fuel in the tank were accessible/useable. (Very likely it is not.)

The other issue is that fuel gauges on motorcycles are notoriously inaccurate, and the Duke's is no exception. When you say you filled the tank with 1.8 gallons "from empty", how do you know it was empty? If you are simply reading "empty" off the fuel gauge, think again. "Empty" is just some arbitrary position the fuel gauge floater assumes, and there could easily be another gallon remaining in the tank. The only reliable way to assess fuel quantity is to zero out Trip2 on the odometer when filling up (hold down "mode" for 5 seconds or so until it reads "00"). Then just keep track of your mileage. If you want to find out what the bike's actual max range is, carry a container of fuel with you, fill the tank and zero Trip2, then just run it out of gas. Most Duke owners fill up between 120 and 140 miles. But don't put much credence in the fuel gauge - it is only meant to be suggestive, not informative.
My Duke ate fuel for around 200 klicks and then it gradually got better after that. Never owned a bike with a Niksil bore before. That's a Mahler thing- they invented the process. Seems to work- so far.
No idea what my mileage is now. Don't care. I have never paid more than 8.28 Canuckbucks per fillup- that is decent!
Diploman likes this.
post #15 of 21 Old 03-30-2017, 04:32 AM

Neat idea! How does one fill these at a gas station?
post #16 of 21 Old 03-30-2017, 08:24 AM

Location: Murrysville, PA, USA. A pleasant, wooded suburb of Pittsburgh.
Peter, When my Duke was new, I found the OEM fuel cap to be an annoying and unnecessary PITA whenever I needed to fill the tank. In my case, the OEM cap lid would not stand up vertically, but would flop down at inconvenient moments, and generally just got in the way. Plus, it is quite heavy, considering its role and limited functionality.

So I swapped it out for one of these Chinese caps. No lock, but better looking, seals perfectly, weighs a fraction of the OEM part, and greatly simplifies filling. I've been quite happy with it.

CNC Billet Motorbike Keyless Gas Fuel Tank Cap Cover For KTM 125 200 390 Duke | eBay

Cheers, Will

"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else."
--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II cafe racer
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000
post #17 of 21 Old 03-30-2017, 02:32 PM

I posted this in the picture thread a while back. We each carry 2 1.5-Liter Primus Fuel Bottles in Wolf bottle holsters. They fit on the KTM side bag racks pretty well.

It seems like we were always planning our rides to get to the next gas station instead of getting to where we wanted to go. We use a little collapsible funnel to make getting the fuel in the tank a little less messy, and if your careful you can use it to get gas back into the bottles at a gas station.

Diploman, G19Tony and Slippy like this.

My project photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 21 Old 03-31-2017, 02:02 AM

Garage
I like to do a little touring on my D390. I mounted a 2gal Rotopax on my topbox. I haven't needed it in earnest yet, but I can get a full tank from it, thus another 120 miles. I try to pull into a gas station every 100 miles. It's a pain, to be sure, but after a hundred miles, I'm ready for a little break anyway.

Diploman likes this.

My garage makes me happy.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Honda CT70
Honda Grom
KTM 390 Duke
post #19 of 21 Old 03-31-2017, 08:22 PM

Garage
Will, and others; After i posted my earlier comment I re-read it and thought - someone is going to say "Why the ---- don't you just shove the can nozzle in the tank"!! Of course the reality is that many of us don't like spilling gas all over the bike. The filler nozzle on my container is a pain - you just can't stop it dribbling!!!
I am lucky that my cap does stay upright, though I have stuck a piece of masking tape from the face of the upright cap down to the tank, which isn't a big deal if you're filling at home. o2awsum's pic above is similar to my method - my home-made funnel is a little bigger.
Diploman likes this.
post #20 of 21 Old 06-08-2017, 05:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2awsum View Post
I posted this in the picture thread a while back. We each carry 2 1.5-Liter Primus Fuel Bottles in Wolf bottle holsters. They fit on the KTM side bag racks pretty well.

It seems like we were always planning our rides to get to the next gas station instead of getting to where we wanted to go. We use a little collapsible funnel to make getting the fuel in the tank a little less messy, and if your careful you can use it to get gas back into the bottles at a gas station.

Just browsing through the posts and notice your Parkway run. This is on my bucket list. Looks like a fantastic place to ride.

BTW, '17 Duke filler opens towards the front rather than the rider.

Never give up.....

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page