4Likes
  • 1 Post By lightning
  • 1 Post By Ede
  • 1 Post By tbj
  • 1 Post By _Big_Mac_

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-24-2019, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Would you ever forego protective gear when riding your bike?

I tried it once and felt really vulnerable. But in we were in Kefalonia Greece last month and nobody wears any protective clothing there, not even a helmet, it’s just too **** hot.

Most are on scooters but there’s some bikes too. I can’t bring myself to do it, but l did 80 miles yesterday in 30deg C and it was just too hot, l had to stop eventually.

I had on a leather jacket, helmet, summer gloves, boots, and Kevlar armoured jeans.
It was just about OK at speed but in town was pretty bad.

I do a lot of mountain biking and wear a polystyrene helmet, fingerless gloves, shoes, shorts and a T shirt.
TBH l think flying down rocky paths at 20+ mph is at least as high a risk as motorcycling.
But apart from DH riding most mountain bikers wear no protective gear apart from a helmet.
Olesya likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-24-2019, 06:35 PM

I don't wear any protective gear in Benidorm, apart from helmet. It's the norm there. Scooters are very popular and you'd look a right tit in leathers. Bikers sometimes wear jeans and jacket mind.
When we were driving home in June it hit 44įc in northern Spain and southern France and there were bikers on the motorway in leathers. Thing is at that temperature the wind doesn't cool you down, don't know how they did it. We were in the van with AC on full blast.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-24-2019, 09:28 PM
Ede

Garage
Here you can read 82 opinions from foreigners living in Thailand.
What level of protection do you guys wear?
https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/111...you-guys-wear/

Here, in Thailand, it's mostly a questions about your minimum standards. For me that is long jeans to make sure I don't burn my legs even if I crash and proper shoes which can't fall off (many Thais wear flip-flops). If I ride just around the corner in a side street then probaby I won't wear a helmet. On main streets I always wear a helmet.

This is a typical Bangkok intersection (Sukhumvit Soi 4). The guys with the orange jackets are motorcycle taxis.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ngkok_Nana.jpg
Wakeboarder likes this.

post #4 of 10 Old 07-25-2019, 12:37 AM
tbj

Garage
hi
I usually ride in a leather jacket or (KTM pegscratch jacket if it goes below 10C) kevlar jeans and riding shoes (not boots) gloves and helmet
I rode around in my shorts when I was around 18.. but we had 32C a few weeks her last summer and I still couldn't get my self to do it..
but I did invest in a Joe Rocket mesh jacket which is armored but the wind goes straight through it.
I use the wind/water proof liner on the way to the office in the morning but pull it out on the ride back home, works like a charm
varroa likes this.

Husky Vitpilen 701 (again with a few mods
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #5 of 10 Old 07-25-2019, 04:55 AM

When the temperatures go above 32C, I don my cooling vest, one of those: https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/c...eather-riding/
These things are life savers IMO.
tbj likes this.

2019 390 Duke
Poland
post #6 of 10 Old 07-25-2019, 11:15 AM

Just got myself the Klim Mojave pants for that reason. Love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 10 Old 07-25-2019, 01:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
Would you ever forego protective gear when riding your bike?
Nope. I wear helmet, armored jacket, gloves, and boots not matter the temperature. And, it regularly gets around 37C here in the summer. The only place I feel I'm slacking is I just wear plan old jeans. I used to wear knee and shin protectors when I was dual-sporting, but cut that out when I changed bikes.

37C is just about too hot to ride, for me, especially combined with our humidity. But, as long as I'm moving, I tolerate it, to keep in the saddle pretty much year round.

2018 390 Duke
post #8 of 10 Old 07-25-2019, 02:42 PM

Garage
Itís been pretty hot here (over 30c anyway lol), and Iíve thought about not wearing my usual gear, but canít bring myself to do it. Itís so sweaty, but as Motojitsu says, Iíd rather sweat than bleed

On a motorbike youíre usually going faster than the 20mph you might do on a pushbike. At that speed itís the sliding on the road that grinds the skin off your bones and the tumbling that breaks them.

On a mountain bike, you donít have to worry about other idiots trying to kill you either!

Dress for the slide not the ride

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-25-2019, 04:37 PM

Garage
I have seen people suggest a decent brand of ventilated motocross armour top under a t shirt, never hot enough here in Scotland apart from a few days a year to justify the outlay for me. Summer gloves, armoured jeans and light armoured jacket with the lining removed for me.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-31-2019, 09:31 PM

Garage
In my country it is always around 30-35c.
My ride last no longer than 2 to 3km.
Moped ride faster than me in traffic.
99% of my ride are below 60kph. ( no motorway )

I ride with shoes, gloves, helmet and jacket fast and easy to remove.
Moto Jean is a no for work reason.

Yes if slide I'm gonna cry, I don't ride like GP rider without gear.
And if a car hit me a 60KPh, I highly doubt it is gonna save my bones.

But if you ride long distance and in cooler country, I don't see why not wearing protection.

P.S: I ride faster on my racing road bike and gosh those skin suit are so thin when you hit the tarmac anyway lol

2017 KTM 390 Duke

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page