Valve check at first service. - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 79 Old 08-01-2017, 04:00 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Question Valve check at first service.

While waiting for my new 2017 Duke 390 to be delivered I'm trying to learn some more about the bike. One point of contention is the valve check which is required at the first service. Apparently some dealers do this, while others only do it if there are signs (such as ticking) that the valve clearances are out of spec. Others may not do it at all. So just a few questions:

Are there any changes to the 2017 engine relative to the earlier model that should make any difference to the necessity for a valve clearance check? Has KTM learned from experience and reduced the variation in clearances?

Has anyone with a 2017 found that the valve clearances needed to be adjusted on the first service? If so, how far were they out of range?

Presumably KTM hasn't released any data showing how often adjustment has been required.

I'm planning to ask the dealer to check the clearances, and to report on the necessity and amount of any adjustment required.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 Old 08-01-2017, 05:34 PM

Ktm says it's required on the 2016, doesn't really matter what the dealer says. Some are lazy and don't want to do it. 🤥
Sbest likes this.
post #3 of 79 Old 08-01-2017, 06:23 PM

If advice was good I could sell but I will provide it any way.

Make them prove that they did it. This engine has a behavior of tight the gap and that is probably the reason for KTM recommend the adjust.
I already forgot the BWM warranty in the past since I didn't want them with their hands in my bike

I know that it is a little bit aggressive and some dealers don't like to be argued about their services but I think that is better them sad that us.
Luis

post #4 of 79 Old 08-01-2017, 08:15 PM

Garage
You'll need the valve check documented for warranty purposes. They may not need adjusting but the valve check itself needs to be performed.
Hoover and KTMasean like this.

2016 Duke 390 - Lowered 45mm F&R with T-Rex Racing link and kickstand, YSS MZ506 shock, RC390 fork springs & custom spacers, DynoJet quickshifter and PCV, Gray Area KTM airbox, open lid, inverted K&N filter, Werkes pipe, TYGA header, 16T sprocket, 320mm Galfer rotor and HH pads, XHP50 LED headlight, Vizi-tec SupaBrake II, Renthal grips with HeatDemon heaters, lever guards, Ride It Moto levers, eBay sliders, rear spools and rearsets, DIY tail tidy, HD radiator, F&R shock guards, OBD2 dongle
post #5 of 79 Old 08-01-2017, 08:29 PM

Yeah, when I first inquired about my bike I asked the dealer about the first service. They told me that they usually "skip" the valve check as the valves usually tighten, which results in hard starts....so if it's not hard starting there's no issues.

I will insist that the valves are checked on my first service, but I'm not sure it'll actually happen.....BUT I guarantee all my paperwork will indicate it happened. I won't take the bike back without that.

Plus looking through the new TFT options it looks like the dealer will have to enter service records into it in order for bike to allow revving past 7.5 k initially...
in315 likes this.
post #6 of 79 Old 08-02-2017, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks all. I do intend to get the clearances checked, and also documentation of what the clearances were before and after the service. But I'd still be interested to know how many actually need to be adjusted.
post #7 of 79 Old 08-02-2017, 05:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
....so if it's not hard starting there's no issues.
Mine starts normally 9 of 10 cases. And 1 of 10 starts a bit harder. Could it be valves, or just ignition glitch?

>>READY TO RACE
post #8 of 79 Old 08-02-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivladoff View Post
Mine starts normally 9 of 10 cases. And 1 of 10 starts a bit harder. Could it be valves, or just ignition glitch?
I'm new to KTM and not a mechanic but, this is what my dealer told me when I asked about the first service.

If your valves are tight I think you'd have consistent hard starts and crappy idle....
post #9 of 79 Old 08-02-2017, 10:05 PM

Exclamation Vales

There are 4 valves and it only takes 1 to be out of spec to cause a problem. My 2016 is going in tomorrow for 1st service and I expect all items in service schedule to completed for the 620 mile service as it has 633 miles on it as of today. WOOOO entered title misspelled VALVES
post #10 of 79 Old 08-03-2017, 07:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
I'm new to KTM and not a mechanic but, this is what my dealer told me when I asked about the first service.

If your valves are tight I think you'd have consistent hard starts and crappy idle....
I was thinking the same. So when they refused to do the valves check I let it go, instead of risking to void the warranty if I do it elsewhere.

>>READY TO RACE

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page