Mono shock upgrade - Page 4 - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 44 Old 03-28-2016, 04:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultradoux View Post
I was wondering about the reservoir being so close to the exhaust . Is there no danger of overheating ?
To be honest I had that same worry when I fitted this exact same R6 conversion on my bike . As I have been toying around with the IR heatgun to monitor the Evans cooling liquid effect , I had a go at the lower part of that shock reservoir . It is actually not that close as the picture may let us believe .
I had a reading of less than 65 celsius 5 minutes after cutting the engine , where it was actually a little less when I took the measurement 5 minutes earlier .

Would these kind of temperatures affect the shock ? I doubt it
ultradoux and bahawton like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 03-29-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimapa View Post
To be honest I had that same worry when I fitted this exact same R6 conversion on my bike . As I have been toying around with the IR heatgun to monitor the Evans cooling liquid effect , I had a go at the lower part of that shock reservoir . It is actually not that close as the picture may let us believe .
I had a reading of less than 65 celsius 5 minutes after cutting the engine , where it was actually a little less when I took the measurement 5 minutes earlier .

Would these kind of temperatures affect the shock ? I doubt it
I do have a homemade exhaust on the bike which I think gives even a bigger gap between the linkpipe and the reservoir .
Anyway , I just ordered an R6 shock . Only read positive comments on it so by the end of next week I'll have that sorted .
Diploman likes this.
post #33 of 44 Old 03-29-2016, 12:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultradoux View Post
I do have a homemade exhaust on the bike which I think gives even a bigger gap between the linkpipe and the reservoir .
Anyway , I just ordered an R6 shock . Only read positive comments on it so by the end of next week I'll have that sorted .
You will not regret it , I rode a week or two with a secondhand but literally 0km stock R6 on the Duke and it is actually way better than our stock one ( easy ) . However , once I had the Racetech spring and threaded pre load adjuster fitted the difference is phenomenal .
You surely have seen and read the shock conversion thread on the RC390 forum : Contact Matt from Formula390 , great service at an affordable price . Well worth the investment .

Shock Swap with 99-02 R6 - Page 20
Diploman likes this.

post #34 of 44 Old 05-02-2017, 11:21 PM

Garage
So, as I realized my plan to run an R6 shock won't work out and the Speed Four shock needs to much work to fit, I am now in the market for affordable alternatives.

Ohlins KT301 or YSS MZ506 300TR 38 perhaps.

Any more YSS shock reviews or feedback?

2016 Duke 390 - Lowered 45mm F&R with T-Rex Racing link and kickstand, YSS MZ506 shock, RC390 fork springs & custom spacers, DynoJet quickshifter and PCV, Gray Area KTM airbox, open lid, inverted K&N filter, Werkes pipe, TYGA header, 16T sprocket, 320mm Galfer rotor and HH pads, XHP50 LED headlight, Vizi-tec SupaBrake II, Renthal grips with HeatDemon heaters, lever guards, Ride It Moto levers, eBay sliders, rear spools and rearsets, DIY tail tidy, HD radiator, F&R shock guards, OBD2 dongle
post #35 of 44 Old 05-03-2017, 11:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN Duke View Post
So, as I realized my plan to run an R6 shock won't work out and the Speed Four shock needs to much work to fit, I am now in the market for affordable alternatives.

Ohlins KT301 or YSS MZ506 300TR 38 perhaps.

Any more YSS shock reviews or feedback?
I spoke with YSS in Thailand and YSS here in the US and the YSS MZ506 300TR 38 has been discontinued. You can still buy the YSS MZ456 300TR 38 and I have about 300 miles on mine. It's 1.5 lbs lighter than stock and I was able to order mine for $375 USD with a black 120Nm spring from the guys below. The shock normally comes with a 100Nm spring which would be good for light riders but I weigh 200lbs wearing all my winter gear so I'm trying a 120Nm spring. Based on travel & sag measurements, I may swap to a 110Nm spring but it's still better than the OEM unit with the stiffer spring.

KTM 390 DUKE 2012 YSS Mono Shock Absorber | eBay

PS. I told them to change the description on FireFox's Ebay listing but it looks like they're still advertising spec.s for the MZ506 (50mm piston) shock instead of the MZ456 (45mm piston) that they're actually selling.
390DukeBraaap1 likes this.
post #36 of 44 Old 05-03-2017, 01:57 PM

So, in reading all the blah on the R6 shock upgrade, the majority of opinions from the RC camp seems to be that the spring is just not enough for most.
I'm 190lbs and use the Duke primarily for F'ing around town on and occasional country thrashes. Also, not forgetting that it is actually the wife's bike, and she is 130lbs and uses it for commuting mainly.
Swapping the spring out is an easy option if I find the stocker is not up to the job, but for right now, I'm going to throw it in as is.
I'm not tracking this thing and I'll be surprised if I find the need to change it for a Race Tech one.
Stand by for updates!!
bahawton and 390DukeBraaap1 like this.

2015 Speedy White one.
Mods: Bazzaz piggyback, MNNTHBX open airbox, K & N air filter, Werkes exhaust, R6 rear shock, PowerParts seats, G6 quick turn throttle, Spal fan, EI conversion, cheapo bar end mirrors and levers, Evotech tail tidy, Evotech spols and bobbins, R&G radiator guard, PowerParts chain guard, EBC HH pads.
post #37 of 44 Old 05-03-2017, 02:12 PM

Garage
Standing by patiently

'16 KTM 390 Duke (WHITE)
Mods - Competition Werkes exhaust, Bazzaz, MNNTHBX intake cover w/ K&N, Evotech Performance tail tidy, ergo seat, pillion seat cover, touring windscreen, adjustable levers and KTM covers
post #38 of 44 Old 05-03-2017, 03:00 PM

Location: Murrysville, PA, USA. A pleasant, wooded suburb of Pittsburgh.
Mikebet fitted an R6 shock to his Duke and kept the yellow OEM spring - he seems to like it fine.
390DukeBraaap1 likes this.

Cheers, Will

"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else."
--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II cafe racer
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000
post #39 of 44 Old 05-03-2017, 07:34 PM

Garage
I believe JRI is making a shock for the RC/Duke now, remote reservoir in the $850-ish range. I put one on my FZ last summer and it's a very nice unit

Pete in Maine
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mejetski2000; 05-03-2017 at 07:37 PM.
post #40 of 44 Old 05-03-2017, 08:55 PM

Garage
Found what I think is a good price on the MZ506-300TR-38, 281 Euro shipped from Italy.

Shock absorber MZ506-300TR-38-X KTM DUKE 200 200 2012> YSS Suspensions, Rear Shock Absorber Motorbik

Hopefully I don't get hammered by customs.

2016 Duke 390 - Lowered 45mm F&R with T-Rex Racing link and kickstand, YSS MZ506 shock, RC390 fork springs & custom spacers, DynoJet quickshifter and PCV, Gray Area KTM airbox, open lid, inverted K&N filter, Werkes pipe, TYGA header, 16T sprocket, 320mm Galfer rotor and HH pads, XHP50 LED headlight, Vizi-tec SupaBrake II, Renthal grips with HeatDemon heaters, lever guards, Ride It Moto levers, eBay sliders, rear spools and rearsets, DIY tail tidy, HD radiator, F&R shock guards, OBD2 dongle

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page