KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else played around with this type of mod? Any good ideas out there?

I see the ktm cigarette lighter port for sale, however, who wants that. I wonder if someone can give me the wiring instructions from that product or insight so I know where to tap into and put on a usb port for cell phone cord, and navigation device(most likely phone) etc. (random led lighting).

The way I see it, I'm trying to put a 2 port usb under near the batt (for waterproof) and run one cord up to the front and a shorty under the pass seat. This way I can charge on mount or stow phone under seat with elec. charge.

Thanks All

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
If you have a battery tender cord attached Burn's Moto make a neat single USB charger that plugs into the charger lead, costs $20 or so...I believe there's a plug under the tank if you want hardwire

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have a battery tender cord attached Burn's Moto make a neat single USB charger that plugs into the charger lead, costs $20 or so...I believe there's a plug under the tank if you want hardwired
just picked up the bike yesterday, so no mods yet. Batt tender hardwired quick connect coming soon as I familiarize my self with elec system of bike. time to study wiring diagram... lol

the burns moto items are perfect, just need to know where I can tap in. hence why I was asking about that ktm offered kit wiring instructions.

thanks for the info bub

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Another outfit called Whitehorse Gear (I think) has all kinds of wiring products specifically for motorcycles. Not a lot of room under the seat so you may need to find another solution for stowage.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I believe those unused leads in the battery compartment are meant for the KTM alarm system. MalJohann has the alarm on his bike: Perhaps he can confirm or explain.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have a battery tender so I ordered this one because it has an on-off switch:

I also ordered this short Mini USB cable so it will connect to my phone:

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
I believe those unused leads in the battery compartment are meant for the KTM alarm system. MalJohann has the alarm on his bike: Perhaps he can confirm or explain.
Don't have any photos of the alarm connection currently, but from memory yes, the white plug is for the alarm, and I believe the red plug is for OBD but I may be wrong.

Looking at the Power Parts outlet kit, the wiring is too short to go beyond the instrument cluster, so you'll likely find your connection in there. I have to dig into my instrument cluster to replace my DRL switch and might do that tonight, I'll see if I can snap some meaningful pics for you.

OUTLET KIT | $44.99

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
If memory serves me correctly, there is an unused power lead with connector in the headlight module. This is customarily used, I think, for powering heated handgrips, but also can be used for any accessory needing power.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If memory serves me correctly, there is an unused power lead with connector in the headlight module. This is customarily used, I think, for powering heated handgrips, but also can be used for any accessory needing power.

Hi, has anyone got a picture of this spare power lead and it's location (or a good description) please? I'm looking to put a USB charger on my bike and want to use a switched source.

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Correct , and the original KTM power supply outlet connects to that but it again comes with a spare power lead in case you would want to connect other powered accessories like heated handgrips

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I don't have a photo handy, but it's very simple to find this accessory lead. Remove the two top bolts holding the headlight module (careful, don't lose the metal grommets), take out the six plastic push rivets and then hinge down the front section of the headlight module. (The repair manual has a good description of this operation.)

With the wiring thus exposed, you will see a white female connector, unused, with, IIRC, a tag label on the wire that reads "ACC". This is your switched accessory connection. Very convenient, easy to access. Nice touch by KTM.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Only had a quick time to check but it seems there are two sockets, one was getting 12v with ignition turned. I though the other would be a permanent 12v, but I think it's the earth (I'd assumed I'd be earthing to the frame somewhere) but it's good to have a proper connection.

Next question, it looks like the sockets just contain female blades, and I could probably just push in a male one, but does anyone know where I can get the exact connectors from? I'd like to put a split in, have my connections and also leave available connectors for future use, and leave it looking factory fitted.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wow, found out why people complain about those top-hat washers. One disappeared down the side of the light cluster and even after removing the whole unit, no amount of shaking would get it out. I had to dismantle it, and even then it didn't just drop out! Think I'll glue them in place.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Wow, found out why people complain about those top-hat washers. One disappeared down the side of the light cluster and even after removing the whole unit, no amount of shaking would get it out. I had to dismantle it, and even then it didn't just drop out! Think I'll glue them in place.
Yes, opening the headlight binnacle is one of the less impressive aspects of ownership, perhaps KTM left that bit of design to Bajaj

1 - 19 of 19 Posts