KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All i need to say is what an improvement in handling ever. Flicks on a dime, turn in is great. So glad I took the recommendation and copied what the Pros are racing with!! If you are considering it please do it. Tire even looks bigger cause it isnt pinched like the 150/60 is.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I believe that Ari Henning runs a 165 (w/chicken strips) on the rear of his RC390 xO but I would be happy with a 140 for weekend twisties

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry was talking about the RC Cup and Moto 3 teams running the smaller tire. Yep made a huge difference in the twisties this past weekend. Peg down with feeler removed!! Super stoked.

·
Registered
916 Posts
All i need to say is what an improvement in handling ever. Flicks on a dime, turn in is great. So glad I took the recommendation and copied what the Pros are racing with!! If you are considering it please do it. Tire even looks bigger cause it isnt pinched like the 150/60 is.
Can you post a pic or two mate?

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Yes, the Duke's handling is perceptibly improved when a 140/70/17 rear tire is substituted for the OEM 150/60/17. Unquestionably, 140/70 is the correct size to fit the Duke's 4" rim. (A 150 requires at least a 4 1/2" rim for the profile to run as designed, rather than pinched/distorted.) The 140/70 is slightly taller than the 150/60, so as BCutler points out, it does appear a bit bigger than the stock tire. But the main thing is that the 140 can lay down a correct, undistorted profile with a bigger contact patch than the 150, and can easily use the entire tire right to the edge, rather than leaving "chicken strips" of unused rubber as the 150 typically does when fitted to the Duke rim. Why did KTM choose to fit a 150/60 rear to the 390's? Clearly this was a bit of macho marketing hype to distinguish the KTM bikes from the Japanese <400cc competition (Honda, Yam, Kaw) all of which have the exact same size rear rim as the KTM's but are shod from the factory with 140/70 rear tires. Style over function.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you post a pic or two mate?
Some freeloader tried to acquire my Moto 2 fridays ago so now I have it in a storage facility where i am renting a parking spot. So i can drive my car there park the car ride the Moto then bring the Moto back and drive car home. So as soon as i am over there again which should be beginning of next week I will get photos for you.

·
Registered
609 Posts
At the rate I'm putting on the miles lately I won't need a new tire this decade. :(

The Pirelli Rosso 2 and Dunlop GPR-300 are indeed available in 140. There is also Conti's Attack SM but more expensive, and Shinko which I've only tried once on our "visiting" FZ-09 and hated. YMMV. The "H" speed rating is good up to 130 mph, should be fine for our 390s. "V" is overkill, for up to 150.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When the front needs to be replaced which more than likely would mean the rear also (2 to 1), I am going to go with the Michelin Power RS unless there is a terrible wet weather review by then on them which doesnt seem like there is going to be.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
The Michelin Power RS looks very good and comes in the right sizes - it is a new design, however, without a lot of user feedback. It appears to be purely sport oriented, so long wear is unlikely. Also, it is a W-rated tire, seemingly intended for big, powerful bikes, and might be overkill for the Duke, where H-rated is sufficient. If you do get a set of these, I'm sure the Duke community would be interested in your impressions.

If wet weather performance is important to you, you might take a look at the Michelin Pilot Street Radial, specifically targeted at lightweight bikes like the Duke. It's been on the market for over a year, and the user assessments are extremely positive. One aspect of this tire that receives a lot of mention is its outstanding performance in the wet, said to be among the best available today. The Pilot Street is also praised for extended mileage, considerably better than what a pure sports tire can offer.

Either of these tires would be an excellent choice, but I think the Pilot Street is a little more tailored to the Duke's power and weight characteristics.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/michelin-pilot-street-radial-rear-tires

Reactions: KTMasean

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got 6500 miles out of my rear of the Diablo 2, and that is with a lot of twisties and daily riding. I ride almost every day to work so the wet is a feel good to have. Got my heart set on the RS tires next, and I know you pay more for the higher Rating of tires but the RS looks amazing right now.

·
Registered
258 Posts

·
Registered
2017 ktm duke 390
46 Posts

hello everyone,

so i got myself a gen2 duke 390 after selling my2016 duke390... so the gen2 had a 160 60 rear tire... and the thing wont turn compared to the 150/60 on my older duke....so i decided to even try a 140/70 on my gen2.. and woah! the difference in handling is amazing! twisties are effortless... this photo was taken right after installing the battlax rs10s on the gen2... so 140 70 rear now and never looking back! and the thing is quicker and feels like it has longer gearing!

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'm taking the bike in this weekend to fix an oil leak and replace the rear at 6900 miles, glad to know the 140/70 is the way to go. Been hearing it for years and was gonna give it a shot regardless. Problem is I am working on a trade for a 1st gen 620 Duke in the spring and I hope this doesn't make me not want to swap the 390.

·
Registered
2017 ktm duke 390
46 Posts
i do...but its not as cheap as an r6 (2008).. dont get me wrong...i love my2017 duke 390... and i wont trade it for anything cuz its my daily driver... but if u wannna go faster.. cut the crap and buy something with more cylinders and displacement..

·
Registered
527 Posts
I can’t imagine ever wanting an R6, just saying...

390 does exactly what I want of it. If someone wanted a sports bike then an RC would have made a lot more sense instead of the Duke.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts