KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my 2021 390 adventure used in Beijing, the summer temperature can reach 100℉ and the winter can be as low as 10℉. So I am thinking using 10w50 in fall and winter and 15w50 in summer.

Here is the problem. In April I used 5100 10w50 for 1000 miles, I found this oil is thin after hard riding, hesitate clutch engagement when riding 2up. so I imidiately switch to 300v 15w50. the first impression is awesome. the engine sound is noticeably quiter and it runs better when riding harder. BUT:

1.The clutch engagement is more confident but more abrupt.
2.The engine stall once or twice after 50℉ cold start and the reason seems to be the oil is too thick(not too hard to crank but hard to main idling).

So Im wondering if I should run 10w50 all year long since I rarely ride is conjested city traffic.

What is your guys opinion

Ride safe and pray for peace.

Alex from Beijing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Without being a oil guru, this is what I would do. Mind you I could run 20w50 year round, where I live in California. But if I was in your situation;
Get the motul 300v 10w-50 oil. You know 300v works well and you need that thinner oil in the winter. The 50 being the same for both in the heat makes this the perfect oil for the situation.

·
Administrator
2,324 Posts
I ride tropics (45C° - 5C° in the mountains during winter) and tried Voltronic and Ipone but always come back to Motorex.
A friend riding a 690 here tried Motul and switched back to Motorex as well due to it being noisier and gave clutch issues.
Product Automotive tire Font Audio equipment Motor vehicle

I just had my 2021 390 adventure used in Beijing, the summer temperature can reach 100℉ and the winter can be as low as 10℉. So I am thinking using 10w50 in fall and winter and 15w50 in summer.

Here is the problem. In April I used 5100 10w50 for 1000 miles, I found this oil is thin after hard riding, hesitate clutch engagement when riding 2up. so I imidiately switch to 300v 15w50. the first impression is awesome. the engine sound is noticeably quiter and it runs better when riding harder. BUT:

1.The clutch engagement is more confident but more abrupt.
2.The engine stall once or twice after 50℉ cold start and the reason seems to be the oil is too thick(not too hard to crank but hard to main idling).

So Im wondering if I should run 10w50 all year long since I rarely ride is conjested city traffic.

What is your guys opinion

Ride safe and pray for peace.

Alex from Beijing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Without being a oil guru, this is what I would do. Mind you I could run 20w50 year round, where I live in California. But if I was in your situation;
Get the motul 300v 10w-50 oil. You know 300v works well and you need that thinner oil in the winter. The 50 being the same for both in the heat makes this the perfect oil for the situation.
thanks man, I have been to CA couple of time and I believe 10w50 is going to be good for mild weather in Monterey, but for hot summer in LA, 15w50 seems it a better choice. I used to think 10w50 should be as thick as 15w50 but it seem even in mild weather 15w50 is noticeably thicker. The shitty weather of Beijing is like Nevada in summer and Dakota in winter, LOL. And some say 300v degrade really fast and need to be replaced every 2000 miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ride tropics (45C° - 5C° in the mountains during winter) and tried Voltronic and Ipone but always come back to Motorex.
A friend riding a 690 here tried Motul and switched back to Motorex as well due to it being noisier and gave clutch issues.
View attachment 54879
For Real! I am not a big fun of motorex or any other european brands, and Motorex is just too expensive. I am considering amsoil or redline 15w50 for the next oil change!

·
Administrator
2,324 Posts
Just wondering Alex,

What is your reasoning for not being a fan of European oils?
Have you had any bad experiences with any?
I have heard that Amsoil does well in our engines, many small garages in Thailand use this.
In my little circuit Lancia (in the good old days) I ran Quacker State bit I think this is no longer available.

For Real! I am not a big fun of motorex or any other european brands, and Motorex is just too expensive. I am considering amsoil or redline 15w50 for the next oil change!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wondering Alex,

What is your reasoning for not being a fan of European oils?
Have you had any bad experiences with any?
I have heard that Amsoil does well in our engines, many small garages in Thailand use this.
In my little circuit Lancia (in the good old days) I ran Quacker State bit I think this is no longer available.
the only real reason I am not interesting with european brands is the bad experiences with VW cars. There is no scientific reason anyhow. LOL. I assume european manufactures cares about evironment more than American brands so they must be conpromised somehow(sounds silly and no offense).

After digging into tech data sheet. The KTM recommended motorex formula semi synthetic 15w50 is thinning at 100℃ than the motul 10w50 line and Amsoil is even thicker than Motul. Because of that, I just purchased 4 bottles of 7100 10w50 for next 4000 miles of riding. At least the viscosity concern is gone and I am using full synthetic oil with ester added rather than semi-sythetic.

Does anybody know if 7100 and 300v are 100% PAO or Ester? redline saids they are 100% ester but they are too expensive. I would rather use 7100 and change it twice as frequent.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Continental or oriental oil doesn't matter, as long as it is JASO MA MA2, and 10w50 or 15w50 the Duke goes well with them. My personal preference would be to lean towards 10w50 which doing duty on mine. Can't really perceive a significant diff between 10w and 15w, but thinner is better for today's engines and extreme climates.

My current setup Motul 7100, earlier 5100,and she's puttering along fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Continental or oriental oil doesn't matter, as long as it is JASO MA MA2, and 10w50 or 15w50 the Duke goes well with them. My personal preference would be to lean towards 10w50 which doing duty on mine. Can't really perceive a significant diff between 10w and 15w, but thinner is better for today's engines and extreme climates.

My current setup Motul 7100, earlier 5100,and she's puttering along fine.
If 10w oil works fine in India (based on the tiny flag underneath your name, correct if im wrong ), I guess it should be fine in Beijing as well. I tend to use 15w but it feel worse when cold start. I just bought 4 pieces of 10w50 7100 for the next 12 month.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have run 5100 10w50 for several years in my 2016. Have not experienced any of the things you mentioned. When I had the head and cylinder off after the head gasket blew, the cams, piston, and bore all looked like new. The cylinder still had hash marks at 6000 miles.

When I got the bike with 2600 +- miles on it, the thing still had what looked like the original oil in it......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts